Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Apr 4, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #586 of 654
Finally heard these, Quick bass lacking in impact (and anything under 40 Hz) (something like a cross between the HE5se and the HEX v2). Low distortion open sound. I can see how some could prefer this to an unmodified 500, which has a bass that's a bit slow, and has sort of a congested toss in the kitchen sink midrange with a uneven treble.

But then I break out my modified & EQ'd 500 and it crushes the 5XX up one side and down the other.

500 >>>>> 5XX:

Bass - Goes flat to 15 Hz, timbre superior, more real life Q
Mids - 500 is vastly deeper and wider soundstage. Much more body, also much better definition.
Treble - Closer here, all I can say is overtones and breathing by sopranos is caught much better in the 500.

If I went away to my vacation properties for a couple of days (nope, just rentals) the 5XX might make a decent toy to bring along, but to focus on a serious system with high quality recordings? No, not the right tool.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #587 of 654
Sorry that you did not enjoy the Drop Hifiman HE-5xx. I am absolutely loving them!

May 2, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #588 of 654
So is it the general consensus that the Ananda is just marginally better sounding than the 5xx?
u wot m8?

My understanding is more or less the 5XX = Deva.... have you ever heard anyone else praising the Deva as beating some great justover $500 pairs of headphones?
I have never even seen the word "Deva" on this forum until I posted it just now

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #589 of 654
I took a slightly different approach to the bluetac mod. Initially, I had the alternative scotch tape method, in which I applied tape around the 6 earpad hooking/fasten points on top of the cups and slightly underneath. With that mod, the only thing that seemed to be improved from stock was the treble, it was soft and clear as my HD580, but everything else was thin (mids and bass were not bodiless, and sort akin to my HD800) sounding. Imaging was very good. That mod was on for 2 months but the headphone was the least used out of my line up, and I was about to sell it until I remodded it.

I decided to remove the tape mod about 2 weeks ago, and use bluetac. Instead of removing the plastic driver cover and applying blue tac underneath and around the circumference, I opted to stuff/cover the air gap between the cover and black mesh screen with blue tac without having to unscrew and remove the cover (see photos below). This produced some desired results vs stock and the tape mod: mid-bass was more pronounced and tactile but not bloated, midrange had more body and warmth, staging and imaging felt more realistic. Treble was the only thing that suffered and was no longer HD580 like imo, it was a bit more splashy, tizzy for lack of better terms; 1 ply toilet paper was enough to tame it and I would say it’s a slight step below in quality to my HD580.
B2F00C0C-1513-4907-99D2-0D9D51E8A495.jpeg
8A9622B7-BBF9-43D3-BE28-7C6FD1DBD51D.jpeg

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #590 of 654
So is it the general consensus that the Ananda is just marginally better sounding than the 5xx?
No. The Sundara, Ananda, Arya, HE-6se, HE-6, HE-500, HEX v2 all lay waste to the 5XX. Now if you like perky pop and you have a low power DAP in a cabin in the woods, it's not a disaster. But at home with the proper desktop amp, DAC, etc. its headed to the storage bin along with the HE-5LE, 4XX, Fostex 500RP (or out the door with the LCD-2, X00 Mahogany, Alara, HD-650, and others found wanting).

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #592 of 654
No. The Sundara, Ananda, Arya, HE-6se, HE-6, HE-500, HEX v2 all lay waste to the 5XX. Now if you like perky pop and you have a low power DAP in a cabin in the woods, it's not a disaster. But at home with the proper desktop amp, DAC, etc. its headed to the storage bin along with the HE-5LE, 4XX, Fostex 500RP (or out the door with the LCD-2, X00 Mahogany, Alara, HD-650, and others found wanting).

eh, yeah, I don’t think your evaluations are the “general consensus”, by any means 😂

I think the general consensus on the 5XX is that it is in a weird place for the price and performance and that it’s virtually identical sonically to the Deva and better than the 4XX, and some people will really like it. None of the headphones you lister as “laying waste” to the 5XX are anywhere close to the price of the 5XX, they’re all substantially more expensive, even the cheapest of the ones you listed. It’s not a fair comparison.

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #593 of 654
eh, yeah, I don’t think your evaluations are the “general consensus”, by any means 😂

I think the general consensus on the 5XX is that it is in a weird place for the price and performance and that it’s virtually identical sonically to the Deva and better than the 4XX, and some people will really like it. None of the headphones you lister as “laying waste” to the 5XX are anywhere close to the price of the 5XX, they’re all substantially more expensive, even the cheapest of the ones you listed. It’s not a fair comparison.
Well... there you go being fair again.

I don't listen too many cheap cans, since the Alara/Ananda hit the market I've heard 3x more new (to me) cans over $2k than under it. Although the cheapish HD-600 (4.8/5 on Amazon) crunches the 5XX too (3.4/5 on Amazon - terrible QA reviews even for HFM).

HE-500 are now only a used item around $350-400 - but is still one of the favorite cans here six years into retirement. Don't have the money for a 500? Save more money instead of giving in for a walking/talking disappointment.

Used Sundaras (very common) and used Ananda (somewhat common) are dropping into adjacent price points. A new Sundara mail order is $349 (4.5 out of 5.0)

Besides its HFM's fault that they invoked the 500 in the same breath as the 5XX. That's on them. Much like the HE-5se HE-6se PR screw ups. If the 500 hadn't invoked I wouldn't care, but, HFM walked into it.

I'm sorry I jumped on the 650 (4.7 out of 5), its a cruddy attempt to cure issues with the 600, but its still a towering achievement compared to the 5XX.

The Alara - $349 new my memory says buries the 5XX in bass and mids, even if it didn't do it for me.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #594 of 654
I just got an email from Drop that they lowered the price of Drop Hifiman HE5XX to $200 for Prime Week (instead of the normal $220.) Not sure how long this lower price will last........

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #595 of 654
i found HE500 best sounding with focus pads, i tried some leather ones but the sound was too warm and they lost a lot of energy in the treble and upper mids
Hmmm. Most folks I've heard from say leather makes the treble brighter, with a colder overall sound compared to velour which was warmer and veiled in the mids.

The only leathers I dislikew are the Ori, which have no soundstage width, murky treble, and a midbass bloom which they do not need.

As for the 5XX - yeah its efficient and clear. Has a real slumping bass in the bottom 2 octaves. Lacks fine details. Appealing to the Ananda/transistor side of things. Get a harmonics generator or a very tubey tube amp to run them if you want to hear actual music.

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #596 of 654
These are fantastic for the price. Super comfortable, sound great for a range of genres... very open and speaker-like. I have the Elex, HD800S, Panda, Grado 325x and these will probably be my main all-rounder. Bass is plenty enough for me, great for metal too.

Running balanced through dx7 pro which smooths them a touch up high.

Now I'm wondering what the Ananda and Arya sound like, given these are my first hifiman's. I quite like this signature/house sound already.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back