Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Jul 15, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #301 of 390
I am so sorry to hear about this @jsmiller58 that is awful news indeed. You will most certainly need to warranty that pair, because mine did not come with a balance issue. And from what I can tell, reading reviews older then mine in this thread, other's didn't report a balance issue either. So I hope the company will help get that resolved for you. You know whats worse then that though?

How about being like me where you only got 2-pairs of can's that could be considered only somewhat audiophile, 1-dead, the other dying, and your milking that last pair until replacement arrives? Yep, thats what I went through alright, until my Ultrasone Signature X's came. BTW, something that I discovered about the Ultrasone's, the cable gets plugged in deeper then that I thought. At first I thought I had it plugged in when it wasn't, had to push it in further to snap in and make connection.
Wow, definitely worse than my situation.

Thanks for the pointer about insertion depth. I'll try to see if that has an impact.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #303 of 390
I'm slightly interested in these checking out Zeos' video, seems like for an Ultrasone it's a decent tuning, as in no shrill highs that has been an issue for me with most of the Ultrasone offerings. In fact I'm still in the process of trying to find a replacement for my M-Audio Q40 that has a bassforward sound but with otherwise balanced mids and highs tuning with no obvious peaky treble, it just sounds natural to me. I did also pick up the Signature DJ but they were slightly too V-shaped for my liking, the bass was of pretty similar quantity on both but the M-Audio Q40 just sounds much tighter and punchier and the DJ's were boomier. I want some tight punchy impactful bass that I can feel, not so much the boomy audible bass distortion, I'm after that "standing next to a drumkit"-feel when the EDM kickdrum hits it should give a sense of impact in the way the drumstick hits the drum but on the ears. This is what Q40 does particularly well, provide a distinct almost tactile bass that you can feel but without so much audible quantity.

Maybe these Ultrasones would be worth a shot, at least these new gen Ultrasones seems to have a very noticeable amount more lower-midrange than Signature DJ generation, even the "Pulse" one which this Signature X drop collab seems to be based on has quite forward lower-midrange in particular, wonder if it's overly "thick" in the character even?
Here's a comparison of Signature DJ and the DXP version for example where you can tell which my ears agreed on the midrange takes quite a backseat on the Signature DJ:

10194965.jpeg

Here's the Ultrasone "Pulse" response (which appearently the Drop Signature X is based on), pretty similar to the DXP:
nedladdning (1).png
The measurements alone makes me interested as the frequency response balance seems to have been fixed for my tastes compared to Signature DJ, wonder if the bass is also any tighter, it was pretty punchy to my memory but lacked slightly detail and tightness.
which headphones with the most punchy midbass you ever heard? I also want the drums to sound as you wrote

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #304 of 390
Well, it finally happened. The X's won me over. I tried them again last night with an EDM playlist on the round pads and I couldn't help but have a good time. I still don't like these headphones with the stock pads, but with the round pads they have a special quality that makes them well worth keeping. I don't have any other headphones with the quantity of bass that the X's provide, and that's saying something considering I've got the Ultrasone 900i's, DJ, DXP, HFI 580, Pro 780, and Pulses. Excessive bass quantity is only good if it's controlled, and with the round aftermarket pads the sound is finally where it should be. The special thing about these headphones is the absolute quantity of bass, how relatively clean and separated it is thanks to the DDF's, and that level of bass clarity is accomplished without having to lean out the sound.

I've updated my impressions to give more info on why I had issues with the stock pads, and to call out that the X's are keepers with the right pads. I do recommend these headphones for those who is looking for excessive bass quantity with the knowledge that the overall tone will be darker and not entirely balanced. I'll be using these headphones any time I want to get smacked around by bass, which happens often enough.
I like that what you wrote, however, I have to ask, out of all of those that you heard, which punches the hardest when you play drums? which kicks the hardest? is it the X?

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #305 of 390
I like that what you wrote, however, I have to ask, out of all of those that you heard, which punches the hardest when you play drums? which kicks the hardest? is it the X?

Responded via PM.

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #306 of 390
I'd like to introduce our latest collab, the Drop + Ultrasone Signature X. This is our first collab with the German brand Ultrasone, who've been around for quite some time. They are known mainly in Europe for their professional DJ headphones and some uber high-end models like the Edition 10.

After listening to several models within their Signature Series line-up we decided to try and make our own tuning that used the Harman curve as a reference point. The goal was not to get as close as possible, but rather use it as a template. The engineers at Ultrasone went through several iterations before we landed on the tuning for the Signature X. The result is a slightly dark but wonderfully punchy sounding headphone that still has some shimmer to the highs. The Signature X is well suited to many modern recordings and bass-heavy genres, but we also found them to be great with live recordings where the high energy and room acoustics shine. We think it’s time to give Ultrasone another shot. Let us know what you think.

Additional info:
  • You can check out Zeos’ early review here:
  • Measurements - coming soon!

RYkJydw2Snmzh9qyBs3u_0547-copy.jpg
opoG9bXJSPCosSF8wMFh_CB9A9514-copy.jpg
saDTiYHkQAjUPzEv94Hb_0431-copy.jpg

I love the big ear pads , know of anywhere to get these?? Or anyone on here wanna part with them?

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #307 of 390
Okay, so I just got a pair of these. This has to be one of the hardest hitting headphones I've ever heard with those thick pads.

Absolutely silly grin listening to them, this headphone is just fun. Literally like you're in front of a PA system or something, it's unique.

The words for these - impact, power, unrestrained. The sound is really just right to your face and holds nothing back.

The stock pads are okay but then I put on the thick ones and OMG this thing is a sledgehammer (below track is stupid fun).

They made a good decision to add the thick pads with these on the update. I also like the vegan pads with these that are included on my Naturals (would be the same pads as stock on the pulse). I think the weakest pads of the three is the stock memory foam pads. I think they sound better with the vegans, tighter and more crisp and snappy. I'm lucky that the Natural include spare pair of vegans so I can run them on these and switch up with the thick pads.

Stock memory pads sound a little soft/deadened or dull for me - I'd think it's probably sounding pretty close to a pulse with these vegans since that is also what the pulse uses. The only difference would be whatever Drop did with tuning since these are apparently based off the Pulse to begin with.

IMG_1534.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #308 of 390
Okay, so I just got a pair of these. This has to be one of the hardest hitting headphones I've ever heard with those thick pads.

Absolutely silly grin listening to them, this headphone is just fun. Literally like you're in front of a PA system or something, it's unique.

The words for these - impact, power, unrestrained. The sound is really just right to your face and holds nothing back.

The stock pads are okay but then I put on the thick ones and OMG this thing is a sledgehammer (below track is stupid fun).

They made a good decision to add the thick pads with these on the update. I also like the vegan pads with these that are included on my Naturals (would be the same pads as stock on the pulse). I think the weakest pads of the three is the stock memory foam pads. I think they sound better with the vegans, tighter and more crisp and snappy. I'm lucky that the Natural include spare pair of vegans so I can run them on these and switch up with the thick pads.

Stock memory pads sound a little soft/deadened or dull for me - I'd think it's probably sounding pretty close to a pulse with these vegans since that is also what the pulse uses. The only difference would be whatever Drop did with tuning since these are apparently based off the Pulse to begin with.

IMG_1534.jpg

Hardest hitting?

Are you sure? I was told since the pack so much sub bass, the upper bass isn't there much, I was told the dxp and master hit harder.

Sep 11, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #309 of 390
Nah - they have plenty of hard hitting mid and upper bass, I would not say it's sub bass focused with this one.

The thick pads really make a difference tho, I wouldn't say the same for them with the standard memory foam ones so that is important.

Also - IDK if you had these thick pads with the other models what it would do but I can test the thick pads with my Natural and 780 as well because I also really like these X with my stock vegan pads too.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #310 of 390

IMG_1534.jpg

I keep wondering why this thread has been so dead. I was so glad to see your take on these since I agree 100%. I purchased these 3 months ago and haven't touched any of my other headphones since. As far as I'm concerned, these are perfection for me. Please feel free to look at my profile to see all the headphones I have owned for the last 12 years. Over 125. Within the past year or so I have owned 2 $3000 headphones - ZMF VC and Focal Stellia. Those 2 headphones couldn't hold a candle to these. I know that sounds crazy, right??? But it's true for my ears.

I agree about the thick pads being the best. I have tried the thinner stock pads, which weren't that bad really. I also ordered some other pads recommended earlier in this thread that I ended up throwing in the trash. I also had ordered a Hart Audio cable for these that wasn't anywhere near as good as the stock coiled cable sounds. That's a rare experience for me. Almost every after market cable has sounded better to me than stock.

I have to add that I am running these headphones through a $6000 system - iFi Pro iCan Signature/iDSD/Lokius. Most people who have an expensive system don't run cheap headphones. This is one of the reasons I haven't posted about my experience. What good is listening to some guy who says these are great but is using an expensive system to drive them? I get it. When I started in this hobby 12 years ago, I couldn't afford much and $220 headphones seemed pricey to me. But one thing I have learned in the 2 years I have had this iFi set up, is that you don't have to spend big bucks on headphones for the sound to be amazing. These Sig X have amazing subbass, midbass, beautiful mids, lots of detail and clarity and the best imaging I have ever heard. Please keep in mind that I only listen to EDM so YMMV.

One thing that I find interesting is that there hasn't been one pair of these on the For Sale forum. I realize that there probably isn't a ton of people purchasing these, but there are obviously some or this thread wouldn't exist. I keep looking because I would like to buy a back-up pair since the build quality is pretty bad. I will probably just end up buying a spare pair from Drop. If you are on the fence, I would take the plunge. If you don't like them then I will buy them from you.

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #311 of 390
I keep wondering why this thread has been so dead. I was so glad to see your take on these since I agree 100%. I purchased these 3 months ago and haven't touched any of my other headphones since. As far as I'm concerned, these are perfection for me. Please feel free to look at my profile to see all the headphones I have owned for the last 12 years. Over 125. Within the past year or so I have owned 2 $3000 headphones - ZMF VC and Focal Stellia. Those 2 headphones couldn't hold a candle to these. I know that sounds crazy, right??? But it's true for my ears.

I agree about the thick pads being the best. I have tried the thinner stock pads, which weren't that bad really. I also ordered some other pads recommended earlier in this thread that I ended up throwing in the trash. I also had ordered a Hart Audio cable for these that wasn't anywhere near as good as the stock coiled cable sounds. That's a rare experience for me. Almost every after market cable has sounded better to me than stock.

I have to add that I am running these headphones through a $6000 system - iFi Pro iCan Signature/iDSD/Lokius. Most people who have an expensive system don't run cheap headphones. This is one of the reasons I haven't posted about my experience. What good is listening to some guy who says these are great but is using an expensive system to drive them? I get it. When I started in this hobby 12 years ago, I couldn't afford much and $220 headphones seemed pricey to me. But one thing I have learned in the 2 years I have had this iFi set up, is that you don't have to spend big bucks on headphones for the sound to be amazing. These Sig X have amazing subbass, midbass, beautiful mids, lots of detail and clarity and the best imaging I have ever heard. Please keep in mind that I only listen to EDM so YMMV.

One thing that I find interesting is that there hasn't been one pair of these on the For Sale forum. I realize that there probably isn't a ton of people purchasing these, but there are obviously some or this thread wouldn't exist. I keep looking because I would like to buy a back-up pair since the build quality is pretty bad. I will probably just end up buying a spare pair from Drop. If you are on the fence, I would take the plunge. If you don't like them then I will buy them from you.
hey i also run them on ifi pro ican signature it sure sounds fun on it, i even went for super overkill and put on max bass boost to test for fun.....that was WAYYY too much bass for sure but fun to try

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #312 of 390
Nah - they have plenty of hard hitting mid and upper bass, I would not say it's sub bass focused with this one.

The thick pads really make a difference tho, I wouldn't say the same for them with the standard memory foam ones so that is important.

Also - IDK if you had these thick pads with the other models what it would do but I can test the thick pads with my Natural and 780 as well because I also really like these X with my stock vegan pads too.
@Dramlin disagrees with u

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #313 of 390

Ultrasone is PERFECTION for EDM. I have been through so many pairs too - like you - I always come back to Ultrasone for EDM.

And I also know what you mean about Mids. They are rich and beautiful.

Curious have you tried any of other Ultrasones?

I'm not surprised how much you love these - it surely is not about $$$ when it comes to this.

It's a great thing for EDM listeners for sure IMO. You could pay tons of money for high end or you could grab this one at $200 and be done.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #314 of 390
@Dramlin disagrees with u
Idk man in this hobby impressions vary sometimes and it's up to you to figure out what your ears hear.

I can tell you (FROM MY EXPERIENCE) with the thick pads and the right music, these things absolutely slam in a way you do not normally hear from a headphone. I was literally like laughing at it when I first tried these because it is crazy.

Ultrasone always delivers on bass for me though so I am not surprised if the DXP or anything recommended delivers the goods. I love the 780 but it doesn't have the bass force and quantity of this one. The natural is tight and punchy like the 780 but again, this X is more of a bass-centric headphone. I just got these, I want to experiment with pad swapping and try the thick pads on my other models to see how much of this is the headphone itself vs. the pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back