Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Jul 9, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #271 of 393
To my ears - the HE-500 has great bass all throughout its range including sub, mid, and upper.

It doesn't have quite the feeling of punch of the Signature Natural, but it isn't far off and yeah, that whole extension from lower to upper bass really makes them excellent performers to my ears. Very satisfying. Many people regard the HE-6 as the best bass headphone ever for impact, and the 500 was the next step down from that model.

The 500 is easier to drive than some of the other ones like the 6 as it was built to be more efficient so it sounds good across many amps, but an excellent high power amp like the FA-10 takes it up a few extra notches.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #272 of 393
I also own apple 2019 wired earpuds, and the slam is better than these dan clark aeon i got. they can't be enhanced to punch more, made me not care about subbass anymore.
i tried ATH50 from audio technica and HD 800s and they don't have punch in the midbass, my EQed ultrason DJ1 without amp sounds better in that area

Jul 9, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #273 of 393
To my ears - the HE-500 has great bass all throughout its range including sub, mid, and upper.

It doesn't have quite the feeling of punch of the Signature Natural, but it isn't far off and yeah, that whole extension from lower to upper bass really makes them excellent performers to my ears. Very satisfying. Many people regard the HE-6 as the best bass headphone ever for impact, and the 500 was the next step down from that model.

The 500 is easier to drive than some of the other ones like the 6 as it was built to be more efficient so it sounds good across many amps, but an excellent high power amp like the FA-10 takes it up a few extra notches.
how Many people regard the HE-6 as the best bass headphone ever for impact if they don't have quite the feeling of punch of the Signature Natural?

Jul 9, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #274 of 393
how Many people regard the HE-6 as the best bass headphone ever for impact if they don't have quite the feeling of punch of the Signature Natural?

They say it does a lot better than the HE-500 so I don't doubt it can beat the Natural.

The Natural has excellent bass IMO but it is a headphone not many people own or have heard and I don't have a doubt that a well powered HE-6 can do much better.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #277 of 393
I also own apple 2019 wired earpuds, and the slam is better than these dan clark aeon i got. they can't be enhanced to punch more, made me not care about subbass anymore.
i tried ATH50 from audio technica and HD 800s and they don't have punch in the midbass, my EQed ultrason DJ1 without amp sounds better in that area
Lol apple ear buds have better slam than an Aeon?

I've never been into DCA myself but that's just sad.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #279 of 393
I have both. Signature DJ has more clear high, mid, and overall details while Sig X has deeper bass. I like both. Also I have Edition M+ and Edition 8EX. All of them has its own use in my case depending on the genre, on-the-go or home use, and seasonal comfort. Sig DJ and Edition M+ are my on the go cans (as well as Koss Porta Pro during hot summer here in Hong Kong).

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #280 of 393
Have you tried the TH-900? Don't dismiss it. It's one of the best headphones for macro-dynamics, slam, punch etc. It's not even an argument, it's a fact. I also prioritise 'slam', bass, and dynamics above all else.
Can you let me know how you run your TH900 for this amazing slam, punch, dynamics?

Do you EQ it at all? How do you amp? Any tips? I've got Audeze Deckard and Flux FA-10. These are super easy to drive, sound great even from my Macbook.

I have TH900 on hand right now. It has very good dynamics, very good lower bass extension (sub bass), excellent soundstage. The soundstage is really impressive. But I'm not stunned with the slam. Yes, it's pretty good to me but I'm just wondering exactly what you do in order to classify them so highly (highest) in dynamics and slam especially when you own an Abyss.

I find them somewhat bright up top - possibly a bit much - it depends on track.

It is unique to me because it has that far reaching extension both low to subbass and high to upper trebles with a huge fantastic soundstage.

Deff an exciting headphone that makes you toe tap uncontrollably.

I want to do some intensive A/B with others in my collection over the next few weeks since I now have a bunch of well regarded headphones in my collection.

Maybe it's just my definition of "slam" is different in what I consider slam.

I do agree these have great rumble, depth, and reach (surely as good as any other out there in subbass) but it doesn't to me stun me with massive "impact".

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #281 of 393
I have both. Signature DJ has more clear high, mid, and overall details while Sig X has deeper bass. I like both. Also I have Edition M+ and Edition 8EX. All of them has its own use in my case depending on the genre, on-the-go or home use, and seasonal comfort. Sig DJ and Edition M+ are my on the go cans (as well as Koss Porta Pro during hot summer here in Hong Kong).
Guess ill go for earpads replacements then rather then a Sig X. maybe buy a signature master when they come with that new headband.

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #282 of 393
Guess ill go for earpads replacements then rather then a Sig X. maybe buy a signature master when they come with that new headband.
Actually I picked up an used Edition 8EX pairs after testing with a brand-new Signature Master pairs at the similar price range last year in Tokyo. Signature Master is great but don't compare it with Edition series. I put Signature X's pads and other pads I have incl Yaxi pads on Sig DJ and concluded the original Ethiopian sheep skin pads suite best. The original pads of Sig Pro/DJ/Master are not too expensive now at Ultrason shop in Germany and are worth IMO. I love Sig DJ so much but you can't beat the price of Sig X and Pure for your daily drive to extend the life of Sig DJ.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #283 of 393
Actually I picked up an used Edition 8EX pairs after testing with a brand-new Signature Master pairs at the similar price range last year in Tokyo. Signature Master is great but don't compare it with Edition series. I put Signature X's pads and other pads I have incl Yaxi pads on Sig DJ and concluded the original Ethiopian sheep skin pads suite best. The original pads of Sig Pro/DJ/Master are not too expensive now at Ultrason shop in Germany and are worth IMO. I love Sig DJ so much but you can't beat the price of Sig X and Pure for your daily drive to extend the life of Sig DJ.
The original pads of sig pro/dj/,master are not too expensive right now? Where did you find them at the ultrasone shop? Because the page changed and the link is down. I inquired at the thomann website and they sent me an offer of 171,84 for earpad replacements. Whole I remember them being €130,90 @ official ultrasone shop.

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #284 of 393
to everyone that tried the signature X, are these the most punchy headphones that you have heard? in terms of midbass slam and midbass quality?
if not what was more hard hitting that you have tired?

I'm definitely a guy that is into midbass slam and quality and that's why I'm trying to find a replacement for M-Audio Q40 that to me have the best punchiness to quality ratio I've encountered (even compared to say Signature DJ and Campfire Audio Cascade, the latter I'd say is more about quantity than quality in particular) is about 50/50 when it comes to subbass/midbass focus, it has the dynamics, the speed, the slam, the dynamics etc.

The Signature X is the closest I've encountered in terms of quantity/feel to the slam but they have a bit sloppier and heavier subbass output in comparison especially with the new bigger pads, perhaps some precision EQ could make them closer but yea so far it's the headphone that I can feel the hits the best. I'm more into feeling the impact without necessarily hearing a lot of bass as I like to focus on other elements in the tracks, I just want the kickdrums to really pound in a tacticle feel way (compare standing next to drums IRL and you can feel the drumstick impact in your body that is a snappy hit). It's a shame not a lot of headphones do this part well, I feel especially in the past midbass is usually frown upon and the deeper rumble is more sought after, feels like it's getting more common for people to search for the slam/impact/punchiness etc nowadays.

I'm into ASMR myself as well listening to it in the evening, it's the "pluck", "thud" etc. kind of sounds that usually gives best tingles to people that gets emphasized by that aspect as well.

VZR Model One seems like a candidate worth exploring for me as well when it lands into europe.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #285 of 393
The original pads of sig pro/dj/,master are not too expensive right now? Where did you find them at the ultrasone shop? Because the page changed and the link is down. I inquired at the thomann website and they sent me an offer of 171,84 for earpad replacements. Whole I remember them being €130,90 @ official ultrasone shop.
@Dramlin

Had recommended some pads that fit the Signature Natural well and he really liked them - you may want to check on that with him. They were like 20 for a pair rather than almost $200.

I think that's crazy - you could literally basically buy the entire sig X headphone with that cost for just pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back