Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #166 of 390
I've been using them with Dekoni M50x choice leather pads, and they sound more balanced and neutral. But like....the stock pads got the explosive amount of bass and has a unique quality to it that I just go back to using that because its just more different than anything else I own and reminds me of standing in front ridiculously powerful speakers
After listening to these for a few days, I am very happy with the sound of the Dekoni Choice Leather M50x pads. They take the stock sound from something like an L-shape to something flatter but downward sloping. Mids have a bit more presence relative to the bass compared to the stock pads, but this is just my audio memory talking.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #167 of 390
At least I can already say they are keepers for me and that's without testing other pads, would be happy living with the stock pads and using the EQ settings which brings positive effects to the overall sound for me besides making them more tonally balanced, opens up the soundstaging quite a bit but also adds for example proper texture to kickdrum (I'm listening to hardstyle a lot myself and with the distorted kickdrums in Hardstyle it becomes very noticeable the boost in highs bring clear difference to the beats and adding to that punch and impact the beat delivers, it even adds to the strength of the beat so to speak when the balance of the different aspects, punch, tail, distort, sounds more proper). They are just about as fun as M-Audio Q40 which was the main goal I was looking for besides getting similar sound quality, out of 15-20 or so bassy closed headphones ranging in 100 - 800€ price class this is roughly equal so far with Q40, yes I know the Q40 are just 120€ headphones back in the days but they just sound that good to me for whatever reason, like I must have had the same ears who engineered them. :)

I think the creaking comes mainly from the swivel point, maybe some lubrication would help somewhat.

EDIT: This EQ setting on my RME ADI-2 DAC fs works very well, it's slightly more subtle in the adjustment as hardware EQs tends to work differently (much better from my experience)

+0.5dB @ 101Hz Q: 1.0 (not that necessary, it already has so much rumble)
+2.0dB @ 1.98kHz Q: 1.1
+0.5dB @ 5.5kHz Q: 1.0
+2.5dB @ 10.9kHz Q: 1.0

Guess it's pad swapping time next.

Attachments

• 20230209_010050 2.jpg
    20230209_010050 2.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #168 of 390
I like the fact the clamping factor is so high you can easily test the pads quickly by just sticking them onto the cups and letting the clamping force keep them in place when you are wearing them, makes quick comparison back n forth possible.

Shure SRH440 pads:
It started good, the first pads I tested already provided a sound upgrade, the SRH440 pads that are probably the closest to stock pads I have. With these I think it sounds quite balanced in mids/highs out of box minus a bit of shoutiness in the upper-mids that would need to be fixed with EQ but otherwise sounds quite good without any EQ. There's more upper-mids in particular and it extends better overall in the highs and this even makes the bass come across as EVEN punchier as it clears the bass response up just a little bit at the same time but you also feel the beats better so it's a win-win in all regards when it comes to bass response imo.With these there's also more vibration felt as the pads are pretty stiff as well but the circumference is possibly slightly larger so it fits the ears a tiny bit better perhaps but questionable if it brings any comfort upgrade though. Soundstage is improved. These makes for a very fun listen but the upper-mid shoutiness might cause fatiguing if no EQ is applied.

Shure SRH840 pads:
These I expected some better results with working well on the M-Audio Q40 for example, it definitely brings some comfort upgrade as they are slightly thicker and noticeably softer and upper-mid shoutiness is taken under control compared to SRH440 pads more or less but apart from that I don't think they sound too good, it sounds closer to the stock pads, needs additional EQ to clear them up a bit. Not that great soundstage and the bass loses some texture. A bit meh overall.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #169 of 390
At some point someone is going to try those Brainwavz PU Rounds and confirm they transform these headphones into something special, or call me crazy for suggesting them. Either way. I will say that every day I use these headphones with those pads I like these headphones more and more. I went from thinking about returning these headphones, to maybe using them every so often, to now listening to them every day and craving more electronic music to try with them.

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #170 of 390
At some point someone is going to try those Brainwavz PU Rounds and confirm they transform these headphones into something special, or call me crazy for suggesting them. Either way. I will say that every day I use these headphones with those pads I like these headphones more and more. I went from thinking about returning these headphones, to maybe using them every so often, to now listening to them every day and craving more electronic music to try with them.

Can you link the exact version, I might give them a try at some point, thanks

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #171 of 390
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #172 of 390
Even with the Dekoni pads, these cans still kick like a floorstander. That attribute is quite addicting and fun, and unique to this headphone. Despite having access to more technically proficient stuff, I still enjoy popping these on for a quick session. And they'll make a great travel headphone.

Fwiw, I got the Fog City HD560s cable and it's a good fit for the Ultrasone's socket. Unfortunately I can't get any transactions to clear with aliexpress so this was my best option. Overpriced, uh, yeah, maybe. But it's an excellent Mogami cable and sounds very smooth. And if I'm being completely honest, I'm a total sucker for the custom sleeves.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #173 of 390
Regarding the two straight cables, imo the black cable without the mic will generally work better, it's very slightly bit warmer sounding but seems to have more depth to the soundstage as well, that's about it, nothing huge but still, I tend to get "sucked in" to the atmosphere of the tracks better on the black cable as a result. It's a shame as I like the feel of the soft, thin, flexible mic-inline cable, perhaps there's some aftermarket alternatives which would be similar out there?
I tested other pads today, I mostly have some chinese knock-offs so can't really say what pads they are but I also tried the beyers for DT770 and DT990 both velours and leather and the biggest problem I see is the foam pads on those pads are overly thick which adds both distance to the soundstage and blocks so much sound you have to raise the volume A LOT but still it wasn't the best result.

The Hifiman leather pads I tried worked decently and those are huge in circumference so brings much space around the ears but it also tamed the bass response quite a bit and felt that sucked a bit too much fun out of the headphone but both soundstage and overall mid-highs balance was quite nice.

However I decided to properly install the SRH440 Shure pads this time as I thought those were the most promissing and was only prepared to EQ out the shoutiness I talked about earlier. To my suprise though, they change quite significantly once installed securely onto the cups and these fits perfectly, like they were made for the headphone but they are pretty shallow, almost more shallow than the stock pads just measuring by the eye but they don't compress that much but have a different kind of softness to it than the stock pads in the sense, the stock pads compresses quite easily when pressing softly but at some point there will be significant resistance to the press when pressing harder on it. The SRH440 pads again has more linear compression to the pads so as you press harder, they just continue to compress so to speak without any huge resistance so this is why I feel it works quite decently still comfort-wise. It's not ideal but manageable so far but have to update on that with long-term use.

But the shoutiness was somehow gone now that I spoke about earlier and they sound very balanced out of box in the mids & highs with no EQ needed. Very detailed, on the edge of getting shouty but not quite, it's a pleasant listen still but has so much more details than stock pads as the sound has cleared up in all ways, bass is noticeably more controlled too but still offers a lot of punchiness though. No matter how much I boost the bass it doesn't seem to lead into any muddy mess, it just seems to retain the control and I've never experienced something like that before, after all I'm talking about above 10dB boosted bass on the DAC + AMP, it's like the excess bass is getting sucked out into a blackhole, weird. :p With the stock pads you will definitely get to hear that added bass boost but it won't sound that good or clean obviously when doing a very large amount of boost, thought that was interesting to point out as a testament in terms of how controlled the bass will sound like with these pads. Possibly the basshead in me thinks it might be too controlled? But audiophiles would rejoice for sure. Soundstage is very wide with these pads, it's neither very in-your-face or very distant sounding, somewhere in the middle, decent depth.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #174 of 390
I tend to get "sucked in" to the atmosphere of the tracks better on the black cable as a result.

Agreed, I felt the same way on the Master, Natural, and Pulses as well. Not sure why the black cable just works with these headphones, but it does. I've tried about 5 other high end cables, and every other cable takes away that atmosphere that the black cable seems to have.

@Evshrug , any word on if there will be a second batch/release of Sig X's? I've grown to appreciate them quite a bit. I'm hoping others can enjoy the X's special traits too with a second and third+ release.

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #176 of 390
Just received an email from Drop addressing the driver plates error, seems like they will be shipping replacements to all customers from the first run.

Very glad that Drop took action for this!

BB91FD63-B3E9-4C0D-A05F-FC84FF9F87A5.jpeg

Feb 14, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #177 of 390
Yeah, it's cool of them to respond so graciously. Also, not quite burying the lede but close-- they're adding thicker pads and a pentacon cable to the next production batch. My set came with 2 pair of identical pads, so I guess this time the spare pair will now be different. Also cool of Ultrasone to do that. Overall, it's a more customizable offering for the community.

Feb 14, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #178 of 390
I wonder if the 4.4mm cable will work with other Ultrasone headphones?

Feb 14, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #179 of 390
Agreed, I felt the same way on the Master, Natural, and Pulses as well. Not sure why the black cable just works with these headphones, but it does. I've tried about 5 other high end cables, and every other cable takes away that atmosphere that the black cable seems to have.

@Evshrug , any word on if there will be a second batch/release of Sig X's? I've grown to appreciate them quite a bit. I'm hoping others can enjoy the X's special traits too with a second and third+ release.
Wait till you see the official Drop message in a minute… I think people here will be excited!

Feb 14, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #180 of 390
Thanks to the keen eyes of some in our community, it has been brought to our attention that the Drop + Ultrasone Signature X headphones have a potential manufacturing error.

We have verified the issue with Ultrasone. Together, we’ve taken corrective actions to ensure this won’t happen again and that Ultrasone provides quick resolution to our customers. Ultrasone asked us to extend their sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Specifically, the Double Deflector Fin (DDF) is incorrectly placed. While this is clearly visible if the headphone inner ear cups are inspected, the error is not visible on the testing done before shipping. Measuring the headphones is one of the final steps on inspecting a final unit. As the measurements matched the golden samples, this error was not caught before the headphones were shipped from Ultrasone’s facility.

You are able to continue using the headphones as before. Ultrasone will provide new replacement headphones to all customers which will be shipped to you free of charge. Please stand by as we expect the new headphones to arrive in the USA within the next 60 days or so.

While Ultrasone is assembling the new headphones, we have also taken the opportunity to implement some of the great suggestions made by the Drop Community in the form of a few additional updates. The Signature X will now come with additional 4.4mm Pentacon cable in 1.2m length, as well as an additional pair of thicker ear pads.

Again, we truly appreciate the expertise and attention to detail inherent in such an enthusiast community. It ensures we, our partners and the products are the best they can be. We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing and we will do our best to expedite the process.

In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to our support team if you have any questions or concerns at drop.com/support.
Sincerely,
The Drop Team

Last edited:
Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back