DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Jul 25, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #451 of 767
Pretty sure it's almost like vaporware at this point otherwise you'd expect to see tons of reviews and 'look what I got in the mail today!' type posts. Instead, it's been near radio silence...
I think most of the posts have been in the drop page, also a lot of anger because of the delays. I got them in the first batch, overall very good, and amazing for portable quality. I think the main advantage is the Bluetooth with THX amp.

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #452 of 767
I think most of the posts have been in the drop page, also a lot of anger because of the delays. I got them in the first batch, overall very good, and amazing for portable quality. I think the main advantage is the Bluetooth with THX amp.
Anger over delays is understandable. But it is also a function of what people are accustomed to... order online and receive the next day. When dealing with products still in development and not in stock, all estimates for delivery need to be looked at exactly as that - estimates. So very much can go wrong in both the design and the manufacture.

But, again, understandable and completely human.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #453 of 767
Anger over delays is understandable. But it is also a function of what people are accustomed to... order online and receive the next day. When dealing with products still in development and not in stock, all estimates for delivery need to be looked at exactly as that - estimates. So very much can go wrong in both the design and the manufacture.

But, again, understandable and completely human.

Fine points but communication has been less then stellar and I think that's a main driver behind the anger/frustration. They're about to miss another estimate (27th) and no word from any of them (think the 9th was the last update).

There are also concerns regarding a change in materials. Would like to see a comparison between early and later releases.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #454 of 767
Fine points but communication has been less then stellar and I think that's a main driver behind the anger/frustration. They're about to miss another estimate (27th) and no word from any of them (think the 9th was the last update).

There are also concerns regarding a change in materials. Would like to see a comparison between early and later releases.
I am in no way defending Drop. But I stand by what I said. More to the point, I honestly believe most people would be much better off buying things that are in stock. They would be far more happy and satisfied.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #456 of 767
Agreed.

That said, easier to state as much when they're in your hands (or on your head).
True. I have my pair. But I have gone from spending >$5000 on (Mass)Drop in 2018, to a few hundred in 2019 and 2020. So, while I do have mine, I also am much more picky now. Even more extreme reaction to Kickstarter and Indiegogo, I only have ordered a couple of items and these from well established companies. So I am taking my own advice to heart.

On a positive note, these are pretty good headphones. I hope most will agree when their headphones finally arrive.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #457 of 767
True. I have my pair. But I have gone from spending >$5000 on (Mass)Drop in 2017 and 2018, to a few hundred in 2019 and 2020. So, while I do have mine, I also am much more picky now. Even more extreme reaction to Kickstarter and Indiegogo, I only have ordered a couple of items and these from well established companies. So I am taking my own advice to heart.

On a positive note, these are pretty good headphones. I hope most will agree when their headphones finally arrive.

Admittedly, this is my first experience with IGG/Drop. Decided that the Panda was going to be my first purchase. I have PM3s but like many, I'm intrigued by that tech coupled with the amp and wireless capability. These would be my morning commute phones (once things open up again). The 789 was going to be my next Drop purchase. Would I back another project again after being a Keeper for this one? Probably not. Given the challenges with the pandemic, I feel the importance of communication is more inherent. Do I miss out on a great product? Probably. Especially since Drop purchased the driver tech from Oppo. I mean, is this how they normally handle things?

Glad to hear they sound great and that you're enjoying them. Also, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #459 of 767
It's not that people upset about the delays it's more of the lack communication as mentioned earlier by slainte. If Drop gave like a small update every other week or so, people wouldn't be as upset. If anything the coronavirus highlighted this lack of communication more.
idk why ppl are crying. Rona messed up shipping and manufacturing for everyone, not even Amazon was spared!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #460 of 767
If the Panda is your first IGG campaign I could maybe see how some people would be a little upset about communication.

However, a few weeks between posts is nothing. Not to mention the fact that the Pandas have actually started shipping, and with only a slight delay for some.

I bought into the LH Labs IGG campaigns in 2014, and anyone else on here that did as well knows the nightmare that turned out to be. The Panda campaign has been an absolute joy in comparison.

Get a grip people and some perspective.

I am looking forward to getting my Pandas this week or next.

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #461 of 767
@jbr1971 Funny that you bring up LH Labs... I joined one of their campaigns on IGG and I'd never touch anything wearing the LH Labs moniker ever again. Both communication and execution were as bad as it gets, and I did not use IGG again since. I managed to get out of the whole thing fortunately.
Then there was no pandemic to explain delays, which were due to an obvious lack of competence. I can imagine the current situation hit Drop quite hard: such a rollout is never easy, and under these circumstances its even less fun I guess.

Nevertheless a few status updates now and then might be welcome.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #462 of 767
It's not that people upset about the delays it's more of the lack communication as mentioned earlier by slainte. If Drop gave like a small update every other week or so, people wouldn't be as upset. If anything the coronavirus highlighted this lack of communication more.
This lack of communication is a common theme with DROP, experienced that with the Violectric V280. I mean it shouldn’t be that big of a deal for DROP to keep their customers in the loop on the status and reason for shipment delays, especially since we put “cash on the barrel” in advance for every transaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back