DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Feb 12, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #271 of 767
If you’re well calibrated, expect to hear exceptionally clean sound. The THD and Noisefloor are practically non existent.

Frequency response is like a bubble gum pop HTR, imho. There is extension and clarity from end to end. The mid bass boost gets kind of lumped into a warmer signature because the lower mids are boosted as well. The contrast between these boosts and the sub bass / treble makes the treble sound more “warm” while retaining extension (it’s not forward but all the information is there) while a similar effect happens in the sub-bass; where it’s clearly there but doesn’t slap quite like an HRT or Audeze style target with EDM music.

so I’m super happy to hear the indigogo update about usb! Come onnnnn DSP done right!!

Thanks for the info. I watched Zeos review of it but it felt different then his other reviews.

It sounds similar in some ways to Sennheiser "vale" but better extension. Took me a while to adjust when I first got the 650's but learned to love them. Unfortunately open back headphones are a no go at my house as there's just no quiet times. So I have settled in with the Monolith M560 closed planars but I want to try something different.

I actually have a lot more time at work to listen so I think they will do well.

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #272 of 767
When is the New York show?

Even more important: When are they going to have a CanJam in Miami? Oddly enough it's not a good city for checking out audiophile stuff.

https://canjamglobal.com/

The NYC one is this weekend. Sadly the train prices are out of control this close, so I'll be looking at SoCal or Chicago. Why spend $300 on tickets getting there, when what you want to listen to is only $350.

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #273 of 767
The more I buy headphones the more I'm convinced that for "private" portable use, iems are a better choice.

Unless you're somebody who loathes the fit/comfort of IEMs. I personally don't like the discomfort of something sticking inside or hanging from my ears, which makes traditional IEMs or iSine devices a nonstarter. In that case, closed cans are a worthwhile alternative.

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #274 of 767
Unless you're somebody who loathes the fit/comfort of IEMs. I personally don't like the discomfort of something sticking inside or hanging from my ears, which makes traditional IEMs or iSine devices a nonstarter. In that case, closed cans are a worthwhile alternative.
Of course yes.
I found some of designs to be very comfy (**** as an example, semi in-ear).
It's very personal but I find the HE400i and Aeon unconforable with long listenings, jaws and temples hurting. I discovered with time I prefered narrower earpads.
This Panda could fit the requirement in this regard.

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #275 of 767
As for IEM doesn't the cable make scratching noises and you hear your skeleton when you walk around from the impact of it and such? (Plus very loud if you ever try to use an electrical toothbrush while wearing it ...)

I totally hate all those noises and I assume overear headphones remove them. I now people act like some cables and when worn over the ears remove it or almost do so but over the ears with random iems definitely doesn't do it for me.

I assume those Etymotics would do a good work with it though.

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #276 of 767
All personal taste, of course. For me I could never wear full sized headphones in public (out walking on the street or on the bus on my commute) - just would feel too self conscious. For those situations I always turn to my IEMs. At home I almost always use my over ear cans - open back when I am not around my wife, and closed back when I don't want to disturb her. As to quality of sound difference between over ears and IEMs... That's a completely different major can of worms.

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #277 of 767
All personal taste, of course. For me I could never wear full sized headphones in public (out walking on the street or on the bus on my commute) - just would feel too self conscious. For those situations I always turn to my IEMs. At home I almost always use my over ear cans - open back when I am not around my wife, and closed back when I don't want to disturb her. As to quality of sound difference between over ears and IEMs... That's a completely different major can of worms.
As I got my phone stolen before I even got home and opened the box because this guy was looking at me when passing the store when fetching it at the post and then game running from behind and grabbed the top most package which happened to contain the phone (he may have seen what store the package was from as I passed him) I definitely feel that large headphones especially wireless may signal "worth stealing" to a higher degree than stuff put into your ears.

This is Sweden so before it would had seemed like of course you can use such things in public here but this is Sweden today and now that's no longer the case.

I would be interested to hear the general trends for iem vs closed vs open back but feel free to mention that somewhere else and direct me there =P

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #278 of 767
Anyway I hope this Panda will sell well, because I'm eager to see what's happening next with these drivers :)

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #279 of 767
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #280 of 767
Really nice written review.
Thank you.

Dropped my order of the Dali IO6 to wait for the Panda.
Will use my PM-3 with BTR5 till it is up for purchase. :)

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #282 of 767
https://canjamglobal.com/

The NYC one is this weekend. Sadly the train prices are out of control this close, so I'll be looking at SoCal or Chicago. Why spend $300 on tickets getting there, when what you want to listen to is only $350.

I work for an airline so can fly standby but anyways too late. Going to catch one sometime soon though.

I decided to go for it. Backed it for the June batch.

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #284 of 767
Nice review. I think the big question is: Are these audiophile good? Or just mainstream consumer good.

Seems like these are actually audiophile grade. Can't wait. Some are disapointed the amplifier can't be used with an external DAC

Feb 18, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #285 of 767
Once I heard "better tuned Oppo PM-3 with amazing bluetooth capability that's equally good as wired. take my money, however I am not contributing to any campaign after been burned by our friends of LH Labs. I know this is a different story but I prefer to spend the extra 50 or even 100 for a final product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back