DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Feb 11, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #256 of 767
Now is the time when those who got 5% off rather than 20% should vote with their wallets, and much earlier the time when they should had asked for all delivery dates and price points to be unlimited so they too could choose what they felt was the best alternative for them.

If as I understood it that these are technology bought up from Oppo (either in full or just by manufacturing on order) then there's of course may be zero chance of others offering headphones with the same driver. Maybe someone else can utilize them too if successful. The THX amp it would seem like they can. Otherwise maybe it will take a long time until something better is available.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #259 of 767
Sorry but after having watched the reviews, I'm not so hyped, too plasticky.
Besides that there are other "good" BT "audiophile" headphones such Ananda BT and Grado GW100.
So I will wait for a PM2 variant instead :wink: My PM3 are still on my desk.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #260 of 767
Sorry but after having watched the reviews, I'm not so hyped, too plasticky.
Besides that there are other "good" BT "audiophile" headphones such Ananda BT and Grado GW100.
So I will wait for a PM2 variant instead :wink: My PM3 are still on my desk.

I'm with you, but the Panda is a closed bluetooth headphone.
I doubt you can listen to the formentioned headphone on the go with zero influence. :wink:

Panda was created as a multiple instance audiophile bluetooth headphone, i think.
For commuting, travelling and so on.

That's not possible with the HM or Grado without bothering other people.
You have to think twice, i guess. :)

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #261 of 767
I'm with you, but the Panda is a closed bluetooth headphone.
I doubt you can listen to the formentioned headphone on the go with zero influence. :wink:

Panda was created as a multiple instance audiophile bluetooth headphone, i think.
For commuting, travelling and so on.

That's not possible with the HM or Grado without bothering other people.
You have to think twice, i guess. :)
Hi, I LOVE my SR80e outside, better than my PM3 :wink:

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #262 of 767
Hi, I LOVE my SR80e outside, better than my PM3 :wink:
It's all a matter of taste.
I don't like the added noise floor while listening. :wink:

PM-3 soundwise is great, but the pads are a little bit small for my ears.
With the third party pads, which looks like the pads of the panda, comfort has improved a bit.
On-ears headphones aren't my cup of tea.

That's the reason i've bought a used Monitor 5. :wink:

I'm glad there're so many different flavours and the solutions for out there. :)

Feb 12, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #263 of 767
45 days more.
If the bundle was a 20% off $320+$40 then maybe.
3839*1.25+125 = 4923.75 SEK
The competition which they are compared with: Sony WH-1000XM3 2850 SEK.
So sure, better. Lacking ANC but may not need it. At twice the cost. The ATH-M50x someone else asked about is 1190 SEK.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #264 of 767
So tempted to back this since I was actually looking at the PM3. I really like the planar sound (using M560 right now) and a built in THX amp is awesome but the timing could be better. The thing is I am worried that they are being overhyped as Drop seemed to push hard on a wide variety of reviews but none of the actually gave it a full thumbs up type review. Even noting that these are pretty production units. Really on the fence.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #265 of 767
So tempted to back this since I was actually looking at the PM3. I really like the planar sound (using M560 right now) and a built in THX amp is awesome but the timing could be better. The thing is I am worried that they are being overhyped as Drop seemed to push hard on a wide variety of reviews but none of the actually gave it a full thumbs up type review. Even noting that these are pretty production units. Really on the fence.
It’s not a headphone for everybody. I think most reviewers were reasonable and gave a bunch of pros and cons. It’s up to you to decide if the pandas are what you are looking for.

I’ve experience with multiple Bluetooth headphones and most of them are terrible, tons of DSP, high noise floor, etc. Pandas have very particular advantages that most people won’t care about (thx, no DSP, planar driver), so I think tech reviewers will be cautious to recommend a niche product to the general public.

Consider your specific use case and decide if you really want them.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #266 of 767
It’s not a headphone for everybody. I think most reviewers were reasonable and gave a bunch of pros and cons. It’s up to you to decide if the pandas are what you are looking for.

I’ve experience with multiple Bluetooth headphones and most of them are terrible, tons of DSP, high noise floor, etc. Pandas have very particular advantages that most people won’t care about (thx, no DSP, planar driver), so I think tech reviewers will be cautious to recommend a niche product to the general public.

Consider your specific use case and decide if you really want them.

What I guess I am waiting for is a true audiophile type review comparing them to other closed planar headphones. Frankly nobody has even said what they actually sound like. Such as bright, neutral, v shaped, soundstage or similar to a certain headphone. Do they sound like the PM3?

Like I said it sounds almost to good to be true for my personal needs. I was hoping Hawaiibadboy would actually do a review but he got a bit angry about Drop sending him a pair without asking. My tastes in IEMs tend to be very similar to his so I was hoping he would do a review anyways.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #267 of 767
What I guess I am waiting for is a true audiophile type review comparing them to other closed planar headphones. Frankly nobody has even said what they actually sound like. Such as bright, neutral, v shaped, soundstage or similar to a certain headphone. Do they sound like the PM3?

Like I said it sounds almost to good to be true for my personal needs. I was hoping Hawaiibadboy would actually do a review but he got a bit angry about Drop sending him a pair without asking. My tastes in IEMs tend to be very similar to his so I was hoping he would do a review anyways.
The more I buy headphones the more I'm convinced that for "private" portable use, iems are a better choice. Full size ones, I vastly prefer open backs.
The PM3 are amazing but I'm not sure if I would recomend them. The Stellia is the only closed back I know that proves I'm wrong.
The general "its sound really open for a closed back" is often said to hide the "sad" truth, IMO.

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #268 of 767

I feel like they have indeed said how they sound like.

In that they are very neutral with a bit more bass I suppose all the way from sub-bass to lower mids. They only complaint I've seen there is that it bleeds into lower-mid a bit affecting male vocals.

However I feel like the odds of their being integrated EQ into the chip is high and even if not you could run it on your phone so that mean you could tune that down a bit so it's not something I worry about especially if it's a more consistent boost like by design rather than a single harsh dip or peak from resonance or something which may be harder to nail down.

Since many DACs support 32 bit nowadays too you should just be able to throw the values in in 32 bit and then adjust them there for better accuracy. No idea if that's done. Not that I'm really worried about it regardless. The way I see it the fact that you can change it if you don't like it is more valuable than it being "straight out with no modification." That it sound like you want to to me would be much more important if there was no way to actually change that. But now there is a way... So it would seem that attack, decay and in the case of multiple sources phasing (really the fact that there are multiple sources at different places rather than one too) would be more important than the loudness of each because the later you can adjust (technically you could adjust for the others too if you knew the reaction and knew what you wanted instead.)

I don't know how the PM3 has been described and I haven't seem any graphs comparing the two I feel like it's been said it reminds of that and it would make very much sense for it to be similar considering what it is. I did start this video a long time ago but I guess I never finished it =P

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #269 of 767
If you’re well calibrated, expect to hear exceptionally clean sound. The THD and Noisefloor are practically non existent.

Frequency response is like a bubble gum pop HTR, imho. There is extension and clarity from end to end. The mid bass boost gets kind of lumped into a warmer signature because the lower mids are boosted as well. The contrast between these boosts and the sub bass / treble makes the treble sound more “warm” while retaining extension (it’s not forward but all the information is there) while a similar effect happens in the sub-bass; where it’s clearly there but doesn’t slap quite like an HRT or Audeze style target with EDM music.

so I’m super happy to hear the indigogo update about usb! Come onnnnn DSP done right!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back