DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Mar 24, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #676 of 767
Thanks for the reply, I don't really use mobile phones for music playback really but mainly from the PC instead.

I am quickly reading about just how involved it is with the codecs and actual support and transmitting/receiving of BT its clearly not as simple as TM mentioned above.

I was looking for high quality wireless headphones for my TV and PC, but sure see you are right the PC does not support AptX HD either, think just AptX. Gets even more complex my TV only supports AptX codec also.

I see Avantree oasis plus and other various BT transmitting and receivers devices with optical, 3.5, RCA input connectivity which support AptX HD, so I think this maybe the best solution to support all the devices (TV, PC, Android etc) for myself.

I can be flexible here still, I got my topping and Audio technica headphones which I can sell on if need be, I don't need the most amazing sound quality but can perhaps try the Avantree to get something decent here.
If your TV supports APTX, I'd probably make sure that the quality of that is good enough for your uses :) If you're using something like a Samsung TV I'd expect it to have a decent APTX setup similar to their phones (I think most smart TVs are powered by ARM processors; similar to phones). YMMV with other brands though. I'm heavily in the Apple ecosystem, so I can't really help much with PCs unfortunately.

Mar 25, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #677 of 767
If your TV supports APTX, I'd probably make sure that the quality of that is good enough for your uses :) If you're using something like a Samsung TV I'd expect it to have a decent APTX setup similar to their phones (I think most smart TVs are powered by ARM processors; similar to phones). YMMV with other brands though. I'm heavily in the Apple ecosystem, so I can't really help much with PCs unfortunately.

cheers I think ill just have to give them a go really, if I do get lag or lip sync issues via the TV or PC I can always sell them off and go back to wired or look at other options.

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #678 of 767
cheers I think ill just have to give them a go really, if I do get lag or lip sync issues via the TV or PC I can always sell them off and go back to wired or look at other options.
Keep in mind that for video/audio application, it's better to look for aptx-low latency support. :wink:

Tried this lately with a bt-transmitter, feed by optical from TV, to my FiiO BTR5, which did a good job.
Latency is noticable with direct comparison with my R28 (wired headphone) side-by-side, but not so with the Btr5 only. :)

Does the Panda support aptx-LL?

Mar 25, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #679 of 767
Keep in mind that for video/audio application, it's better to look for aptx-low latency support. :wink:

Tried this lately with a bt-transmitter, feed by optical from TV, to my FiiO BTR5, which did a good job.
Latency is noticable with direct comparison with my R28 (wired headphone) side-by-side, but not so with the Btr5 only. :)

Doesn't support aptx-low latency, that was my worry since these avantree BT transmitters suggest you may need aptX low latency to work with TVs if you don't want lag but its strange since they don't say it may kind of work with the aptX HD, maybe its a trial and error thing.

But having said that this reviewer who has the same TV set I have says it works fine and is in sync and no different from his wired hps:

Amazon Review Panda+ bluetooth TV performance

I guess I could also try this:
Avantree Oasis Plus Certified aptX HD

Its a bit of a risk getting these Pandas, but got a nice deal on some used pair and its been 20 years since I tried wireless hps so if it can't be in sync with what's on the screen at this price point, I know it probably mission impossible :runner:

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #680 of 767
Doesn't support aptx-low latency, that was my worry since these avantree BT transmitters suggest you may need aptX low latency to work with TVs if you don't want lag but its strange since they don't say it may kind of work with the aptX HD, maybe its a trial and error thing.

But having said that this reviewer who has the same TV set I have says it works fine and is in sync and no different from his wired hps:

Its a bit of a risk getting these Pandas, but got a nice deal on some used pair and its been 20 years since I tried wireless hps so if it can't be in sync with what's on the screen at this price point, I know it probably mission impossible :runner:
Keep in mind that the TV in theory could delay video output to sync up with the BT latency so you get no sync issues. However, this means that the video must come pre-recorded (for our purposes, a television broadcast would count as prerecorded). If you start gaming, then you will start running into latency issues. Some device combinations do this better than others; it’s normally something handled by the OS.

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #681 of 767

Panda supports aptx adaptive which includes aptx LL. Haven't been able to test either so not sure if or how backwards compat will work if your device only supports LL.

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #682 of 767

The lip sync feature of the LG CX will fix that issue, i guess.

Your report about how things get sorted is really appreciated. :)

I'm on this bt transceiver

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Streaming-Black/dp/B083SFRLSQ

Eyeing on this TV too, so i'm looking forward to your findings.

Mar 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #683 of 767
The lip sync feature of the LG CX will fix that issue, i guess.

Your report about how things get sorted is really appreciated. :)

I'm on this bt transceiver

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Streaming-Black/dp/B083SFRLSQ

Eyeing on this TV too, so i'm looking forward to your findings.

Will let you know for sure the LG CX does have an Av sync option under sound settings then additional settings so it could fix any lag potentially but not tried it as TM said above pre recorded source though so should be ok for typical TV broadcast or even downloaded media content.

I have spoken to another guy with a CX and bose 35 iis and he said no issue with lip sync, also that amazon reviewer no issue with the pandas and CX so fingers crossed.

From what I can see CX supports aptX only, cant see any aptX HD or aptX LL or Adaptive support, but these BT transmitter/receiver boxes may perhaps offer some work arounds?, although not sure if you can covert the TVs aptX codec to say aptX LL or adaptive with these type of boxes though, perhaps that would add further latency.

Fingers crossed either way

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #684 of 767
Very early thoughts with TV to Pandas (got the 2020 LG CX OLED with bluetooth 5.0)

paired the pandas to the LG CX, pairs fine tried BBC News and sports channels and it appears ok and in sync with normal live tv via a Cable or Satellite tv, I think If I am being picky its a little out of lip sync.

But..... there is a definite lag when changing channels its a good 2-3 secs more longer to change channels now, this makes it frustrating really obviously when changing TV channels.

Trying my Nvidia shield pro 2019 connected to the LG CX via hdmi, I use plex app and tried several movies (4K, 1080p and SD) this lag also appears when playing back various film types its a delay of almost 3-6 seconds just to start the movie file now vs Wired Hps. Tried several movies regardless, seems to be ok one film I noticed lip sync sadly and it was on a SD movie but its odd since it went ok afterwards. I will do bit more testing over the next few nights so I can watch movies fully.

I have my PC connected via hdmi to the LG CX also and movies lagged in playback and audio was choppy so it was not able to be used at all via PC, not sure why.

This is with the first few hours testing, it almost feels like It maybe better to pair the Pandas directly to the devices(cable tv,shield,pcs) then the actual TVs bluetooth or maybe the aptX adaptive needs to be used which TVs and most AV devices don't support.

The LG CX AV sync option is greyed out when connected to the Pandas so not able to adjust for any delays.

So its a bit hit and miss atm, but ill give it a bit more testing.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #685 of 767
bit more testing...

That film I mentioned with lip sync issue was just a bad encode happens with wired hps.

There was an even worse issue I ran into, switched the LG CX to standby and came back after an hour and its paired but no sound from the pandas, tried deleting the pairing and re-pairing but after so many attempts I googled it. Seems the bluetooth isn't always the most reliable to keeping the pairing settings saved. (got latest CX firmware which came out 3-4 days ago)

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/iacu6a/lg_cx_intermittent_bluetooth_audio_issues/

So not quite a panda issue but maybe an LG issue? who knows, someone mentioned they switched off the tv set via the plug and tried it again and luckily it fixed my issue, otherwise id have no sound.

Quick check of SQ, Tidal master tracks sounded pretty lacking of dynamics, balance and detail compared to my AT msr7bs + Topping DX3 pro combo, I expected this though but its pretty drastic in terms of overall quality loss going from Wired vs Wireless.

On a side note first time in forever I stood up and was able to reach for a glass of water without treading on the HP wire and getting strangled.

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #686 of 767
Question for anyone that has an BT transmitter with aptX HD support (like Avantree products) have you tried to do an A/B test to actually see if the Transmitter with aptX HD mode actually improves the audio quality over the standard aptX classic/standard ?

I got a hunch you won't notice any difference since the source has to really support aptX HD Codec first..... issue with that is nothing appears to support aptX HD so its kind of making the Pandas pointless in my case and usage at least.

Mar 27, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #687 of 767
Question for anyone that has an BT transmitter with aptX HD support (like Avantree products) have you tried to do an A/B test to actually see if the Transmitter with aptX HD mode actually improves the audio quality over the standard aptX classic/standard ?

I got a hunch you won't notice any difference since the source has to really support aptX HD Codec first..... issue with that is nothing appears to support aptX HD so its kind of making the Pandas pointless in my case and usage at least.
I use my Pandas with LDAC, but I imagine they sound great with aptX.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #688 of 767
Anyone had their Panda simply stop working? Mine will no longer switch-on, and doesn't appear able to take a charge (no LED light from several USB-C sources).

They were previously working fine, and have had less than 5 x hour's worth of head-time.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #689 of 767
Today is the day it seems, EQ is finally supported... (formatting is kind of broken in the quote).

Today’s the day. SoundID + Custom EQ update is available for Panda. For this first update, you’ll need to use our OTW update tool, download the windows or Mac version here: https://dro.ps/panda_updater_windows

https://dro.ps/panda_updater_mac For best results, power off your panda, turn off BT on all paired devices (computer, ipad, phone, etc), and connect via the included USB-C cable and start the update process. It should take about two minutes, and at the end you should see firmware version 20003 displayed:
mZ4CEAM0KLuZHPM23Zy39XV6mxwbTA9I47eI-kX1KMQfSir6PRx4t4BwAukMTzVuYH8HZT9WxIWOu6M_mnlsTxQRd-2DtTUNnhztMUnSsMorBxo76Zw_IZHqPGkqXFnI6ndrc7XL=w796
Now, activate BT on the device that you’re using for SoundID (iphone, android, etc), connect Panda, and open the SoundID application (make sure you downloaded the update today). At the bottom right of the SoundID app you’ll see a “+” and the word “connect” below it. Press there, and on the next menu you should see DROP Panda, and an option to connect on the next screen. Initial connection and profile upload should take about two minutes (once you complete your SoundID profile). This load time is required for any profile you upload to Panda. The SoundID app will tell you when the upload is complete and from the connection menu you can toggle on and off the SoundID personalization. Congratulations, your Panda is updated, you have access to parametric equalization via the “customize” option on the profile selection screen (main screen of the application, press the SoundID visual on the top half of the screen).
Edit: I successfully updated the headphones through the Mac/PC tool (I'm on Mac). The iPhone app didn't recognize the headphones at first, so I had to unpair and repair them using the app's troubleshooting steps, but now it's "uploading to headphones..."

Edit 2: been stuck here for a little while... Still hasn't uploaded to headphones :/

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #690 of 767
Anyone had their Panda simply stop working? Mine will no longer switch-on, and doesn't appear able to take a charge (no LED light from several USB-C sources).

They were previously working fine, and have had less than 5 x hour's worth of head-time.
I heard some users saying that the Drop Panda wouldn't charge if you used a 3rd party cable at one point. Might be worth a shot using the included cable. Also update the headphone's firmware and see if that helps; I'm not sure what all was in the firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back