DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Feb 10, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #631 of 767
I am one of those who think the sound signature is too warm, but as I have said some EQ cleans that up nicely. While I am disappointed that the Drop app hasn’t come out, it isn’t too bad as there are decent EQ options out there, at least for Android. As to comfort, I have read of complaints but I haven’t experienced any problems - I might complain about the earpad openings being a little snug, but that’s about it. As to QC, I was in on the very first drop so I have owned these as long as anyone, and longer than most, and I haven’t had any issues at all.

My comments above aren’t to dispute anyone’s opinions, rather to say that there are usually more than one set of experiences.

I only say QC issues as it seems that others have had issues; I think one of the later batches had something go wrong (but this is just a guess). I was actually in the first batch too (I think my serial is under 10) and haven’t had any issues with them.

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #632 of 767
Perhaps ask Drop Panda directly if they will have these cans in stores in Japan?

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #633 of 767
Is $350 a good price for these? Prolly not refundable, tho

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #634 of 767
Was hoping this thread would be more active. I see some people still complaining about the app not being released and a few QC complaints have recently popped up still on the Discussion thread of Drop. Is there a big risk for these cans to buy used? My MDR-Z1R cans were bought used and no problems at all. Thanks for any help in advance. These might be the ones for me to get.

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #635 of 767
Bought them. They should be coming tomorrow. Hope these work out. What is a good app for EQ on iOS? Namely the iPhone 11 Pro.

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #636 of 767
Bought them. They should be coming tomorrow. Hope these work out. What is a good app for EQ on iOS? Namely the iPhone 11 Pro.

For iOS, there really is no EQ apps unfortuantely. You’ll likely have to wait for Drop’s app support to come, whenever that happens...

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #637 of 767
For iOS, there really is no EQ apps unfortuantely. You’ll likely have to wait for Drop’s app support to come, whenever that happens...
Third party apps are available on the App Store. I’m just asking what people recommend for the time being

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #638 of 767
Third party apps are available on the App Store. I’m just asking what people recommend for the time being
It all depends on what you use to play music. Some of them have a built in EQ. There is no app that can do system-wide EQ on an iPhone. The HiBy is good and has MSEB. Fiio and Onkyo also have apps with EQ, but none can touch anything you have in Apple Music.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #639 of 767
Meaning check outside of head-if for info. No other way about it. I’m sure something will pop up. Still, I listen to my 1A and 1Z Sony DAPs without EQ. I’ll just explore and see what the options provide.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #640 of 767
Meaning check outside of head-if for info. No other way about it. I’m sure something will pop up. Still, I listen to my 1A and 1Z Sony DAPs without EQ. I’ll just explore and see what the options provide.

What @Mouseman said is basically the life of EQ on iOS. Each EQ app would need to hook into the specific service you’re trying to stream from. At that point you’d also likely be stuck using that app’s interface when hooked in (which might also limit you). There is no system-wide EQ since iOS is pretty well closed off. iOS does allow EQ apps that hook into the default music app, but if you have DRM on your music it won’t work (streaming Apple Music for example). When EQing first became available on iOS I looked into it (I wrote reviews for an iOS-focused blog/forum back then) and looked at a handful of apps at the time. They were limited in operation and once Apple Music took off and all the music got DRM added in, it basically killed it.

If you’re jailbroken, you might be able to find a system-wide EQ for iOS like EQE. I haven’t jailbroken in a very long time, so I can’t tell you how good it is or whether it’s worth the task of jailbreaking for it specifically. But if you have other reasons to jailbreak (other tweaks) or if you’re already jailbroken, definitely take a look.

You can go and check outside of head-fi for the information you seek, but it’ll be the same info more or less. The only way it’ll “pop up” is if Apple allows for it to. They don’t even let you use the 10-band EQ that iTunes/Apple Music gets on the desktop since the advent of the iPhone, I don’t see them adding it anytime soon... And I definitely don’t see them allowing for system-wide before even allowing their own app to get custom EQ.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #641 of 767
I always buy my music from CDs or MORA.JP for my high-res music. I don’t buy from Apple since they don’t offer good prices for the audio they output. Whatever works. My Sony app as been a gem with my XM3, so I’ll be patient when Drop releases their app. Still, reading most of the reviews, these sound like wonderful cans out of the box. Here’s hoping for great stock sound out of the box

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #642 of 767
I always buy my music from CDs or MORA.JP for my high-res music. I don’t buy from Apple since they don’t offer good prices for the audio they output. Whatever works. My Sony app as been a gem with my XM3, so I’ll be patient when Drop releases their app. Still, reading most of the reviews, these sound like wonderful cans out of the box. Here’s hoping for great stock sound out of the box

I did enjoy the sound out of the box, but not everyone does. Some do find it a tad bit too dark for their tastes, and I can understand that. The app should help out a lot whenever Drop decides to actually release it; it’s been ready to release at the end of the month for nearly 5 months now. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #643 of 767
I like my iPhone and honestly listen to it a majority of the time. Apple's implementation of the AAC is great, and provides good SQ for me. Plus a lot of my BT gear has EQ onboard so I don't need to rely on Apple for that. But if you're looking to take advantage of the higher quality codecs with the Panda and your existing music, you might want to consider a separate DAC. I have a HiBy R5 and it's great. System wide EQ, streaming apps, and it supports LDAC. There are smaller/less expensive units like the R2 and the Hidiz AP80 that can also feed LDAC and AptX.

I'm still on the fence about the Pandas and haven't pulled the trigger yet. The quality issues and lack of an app are keeping me from dropping that much cash. But they might still get my money. :smile_phones:

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #644 of 767
For those that have it it, what types of stuff should I experiment? Also, to be safe from QC, what should I do to keep a close eye on to make sure there is no damage?

Seems like there's gonna be a lot to play with including USB-C audio. That's neat

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #645 of 767
Listening to them, now. Wow, these do sound better than the AirPods Max. Very well done! The noise isolation is actually pretty close to noise canceling. They feeling comfortable on my had and I don't feel any pressure. They feel better than the Apple Cans. Cool, so these and the XM3 will be my cans for the long run. Best part is, I got them for 30,000 yen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back