DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #499 of 767
Did you receive yours? Any impressions?
Initial impressions are good. First off, I've been fortunate enough to not experience some of the issues mentioned on Drop's site. Comfort is good as the cups alleviate most of the pressure and they they're nicely padded. Getting to like the joystick...takes some getting used to but nothing impervious. Sound - haven't listened extensively but a sampling of different genres offered good returns. Lots of headroom. I want to post more, but wish to spend some more time with them. Especially want to compare them to my PM3s. Listened via Deezer HiFi from my one-plus 7t Pro with an LDAC connection...

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #500 of 767
I know it's not a full review but a couple more observations (remember, my ears are different than yours). . .

disclosure, this comparison was made with Panda in the configuration above and the PM3 wired into a Mac Book Pro (2014) with Deezer HiFi desktop app through an original (yes the first. . .2012?) AQ Dragonfly DAC.

Bass appears to be tighter on the PM3s. Test tracks were Thundercat's 'Uh Uh' and Massive Attack's Angel. The lines of demarcation are clearer.

That said, even for a closed back, I would say the Panda's have a bit more soundstage. Might be due to the larger ear cups which, in turn, could explain some of what I'm hearing bass-wise.

Non playback related, when you stop a song on the Panda's, you'll eventually hear a small click or pop after 30 secs (timed it a couple of times).

Had a couple of instances where functions weren't responding from joystick (pause, skip, etc). Rebooting them fixed it. Keep in mind, this only happened a couple of times and might be due to them pairing to both my Mac and phone simultaneously. Will have to try and reproduce.

Overall, I'm still digging the Pandas. I'm just trying to share some info in between whatever I have going on.

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #501 of 767
I know it's not a full review but a couple more observations (remember, my ears are different than yours). . .

disclosure, this comparison was made with Panda in the configuration above and the PM3 wired into a Mac Book Pro (2014) with Deezer HiFi desktop app through an original (yes the first. . .2012?) AQ Dragonfly DAC.

Bass appears to be tighter on the PM3s. Test tracks were Thundercat's 'Uh Uh' and Massive Attack's Angel. The lines of demarcation are clearer.

That said, even for a closed back, I would say the Panda's have a bit more soundstage. Might be due to the larger ear cups which, in turn, could explain some of what I'm hearing bass-wise.

Non playback related, when you stop a song on the Panda's, you'll eventually hear a small click or pop after 30 secs (timed it a couple of times).

Had a couple of instances where functions weren't responding from joystick (pause, skip, etc). Rebooting them fixed it. Keep in mind, this only happened a couple of times and might be due to them pairing to both my Mac and phone simultaneously. Will have to try and reproduce.

Overall, I'm still digging the Pandas. I'm just trying to share some info in between whatever I have going on.

Nice. I just hope I'm a part of the July backers who get theirs this month instead of October.

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #503 of 767
I am apparently backer 1500 (June) and mine are scheduled to be delivered today. I received the Backerkit email last week.

Looking forward to giving them a go this weekend.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #505 of 767
I am thoroughly enjoying the first listen, Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase., wired (while the phone charges) to the computer/desktop DAC/amp with very minimal EQ.

I am really looking forward to trying out the THX amp with LDAC.

I have RHA CL2 in ear planars and these sound very similar. It will be interesting to see if the sound changes a bit with some driver break-in.

The fit is taking a bit of getting used to given my large cranium. I might get a couple of Dekoni nuggets for the headband (small hotspot atm). My ears are not touching the drivers, but are not entirely within the ear cups, but it is fine so far.

Sep 5, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #506 of 767
I am thoroughly enjoying the first listen, Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase., wired (while the phone charges) to the computer/desktop DAC/amp with very minimal EQ.

I have RHA CL2 in ear planars and these sound very similar. It will be interesting to see if the sound changes a bit with some driver break-in.

The fit is taking a bit of getting used to given my large cranium. I might get a couple of Dekoni nuggets for the headband (small hotspot atm). My ears are not touching the drivers, but are not entirely within the ear cups, but it is fine so far.

While I did enjoy the Pandas wired to my desktop, the same album from Tidal on my phone via LDAC is a different, much better experience (as should be expected with the THX amp, etc). Much more weight behind the music (almost identical to my CL2's), with great timbre, and bringing out great subtle details. No EQ needed (for my needs anyways) with excellent low end and treble detail.

I just need to get used to the fit, but overall, I am extremely pleased by the great sound. Definitely worth the price to me.

Sep 5, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #507 of 767

I stuck some Dekoni nuggets on mine and it relieves the hotspot I got as well. Much more comfortable and still stays on the head well.

While I did enjoy the Pandas wired to my desktop, the same album from Tidal on my phone via LDAC is a different, much better experience (as should be expected with the THX amp, etc). Much more weight behind the music (almost identical to my CL2's), with great timbre, and bringing out great subtle details. No EQ needed (for my needs anyways) with excellent low end and treble detail.

I just need to get used to the fit, but overall, I am extremely pleased by the great sound. Definitely worth the price to me.
I also found the Panda sounds better wireless than wired. When I hook it up to my headphone amp (Headamp GS-X mini) in passive mode (Panda not powered on), the bass loses its oomph and sounds off. But it sounds great wireless.

Sep 7, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #508 of 767
Still running these through the paces...curious to hear others who can also compare these to PM3s.

Overall, I think the PM3s are better. Impression is that there's more bleed between the frequencies with the Panda. Maybe some prefer that? The sound stage on the Pandas is definitely wider. The bass is tight and seems to go deeper on the PM3s.

The AMP in the Pandas does come off clean with plenty of headroom...

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_203906.jpg
    IMG_20200907_203906.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 28, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #510 of 767
A co-worker has an open order for the Pandas but he still didn't get the request for his address so no idea when he gets them.
But when he does I will surely compare them however most likely not in depth, more like testing a few songs at the office.
Will let you know how it goes if someone else hasn't written something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back