DROP + THX Panda Announcement
post-15572836
Post #376 of 441

Nebucatnetzer

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Both are made to be used out on the streets, like when commuting, bass is usually drowned out by surrounding low freq noise so you need some extra bass for the music to still sound balanced compared to the silence in a home environment. They doesn't sound dark and bassy in a public environment. They are not intended for relaxing at home, at all.
I wouldn't really agree with that. Especially since they are noise cancelling headphones.
Besides that I tested them in a store with plenty of people, so basically the scenario when you're commuting and they still had too much bass that drowned the other frequencies.
Personally I would prefer accurate headphones than something geared towards some szenario. When it's loud they are still accurate just less hearable :)

post-15573167
Post #377 of 441

xeizo

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
xeizo.blogspot.se
I wouldn't really agree with that. Especially since they are noise cancelling headphones.
Besides that I tested them in a store with plenty of people, so basically the scenario when you're commuting and they still had too much bass that drowned the other frequencies.
Personally I would prefer accurate headphones than something geared towards some szenario. When it's loud they are still accurate just less hearable :)
Well, I just stated the design goals of a outdoor can, you are free to disagree. Many people do seem to like them though :)

post-15575110
Post #378 of 441

Maelob

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Well, I just stated the design goals of a outdoor can, you are free to disagree. Many people do seem to like them though :)
I find increased bass works on noisy environments especially if you want to avoid increasing the volume. But i understand if people just want more neutral headphones outdoors. I have a feeling the Panda is somewhere in between - I liked the PM3 but would have preferred a little bit more oomph.

post-15585848
Post #379 of 441

MalinYamato

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
malin.jp
The panda is hard to resists, but in Europa we have to spend around USD 510 (including shipping, custom and tax) to get it. Worth it? That is same price as the as a Denon AH-D7200. Momentum 3 is USD 350. An open planar such as Sundara costs USD 375. I cannot make up my mind. Portability is nice but I am mostly listening sitting down at home. Does Sundara beat the Panda in sound quality?

post-15586162
Post #380 of 441

Nebucatnetzer

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I reckon there are better options, if you only want to use it at home.
Especially when you don't want to use the Bluetooth.

post-15587155
Post #381 of 441

KMPLSV

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I was really torn about pre-ordering and wanted to badly, but with a $400 price tag I decided to wait. I want to see how the units perform once they are shipped and are being used out in the field!

Reactions: Maelob
post-15596043
Post #382 of 441

C_Lindbergh

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Really wish these had a transperancy/ambient mode... It's something I've really gotten used to when using Bluetooth headphones.

It's both useful when you need to be aware of your surroundings and when you communicate with other people, be that as a phone call or via discord.

post-15596078
Post #383 of 441

Mightygrey

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.headfonia.com
Really wish these had a transperancy/ambient mode... It's something I've really gotten used to when using Bluetooth headphones.

It's both useful when you need to be aware of your surroundings and when you communicate with other people, be that as a phone call or via discord.
It's possible that they might, given the upgradable firmware.

post-15597410
Post #385 of 441

AlwaysForward

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
It's possible that they might, given the upgradable firmware.
That's not a firmware upgrade for headphones. While these have a chipset with DSP capacity and they can implement some EQ tuning functionality, a transparency function requires external microphones embedded in the earcups to pick up the outside noise before playing it back mixed in with the internal audio. That's why you typically will find it on ANC cans. ANC requires external mics that listen to the world and gather signal on the noise that they're going to be canceling, thus they have the hardware required for a feature like that by design.

post-15597820
Post #386 of 441

Mightygrey

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.headfonia.com
That's not a firmware upgrade for headphones. While these have a chipset with DSP capacity and they can implement some EQ tuning functionality, a transparency function requires external microphones embedded in the earcups to pick up the outside noise before playing it back mixed in with the internal audio. That's why you typically will find it on ANC cans. ANC requires external mics that listen to the world and gather signal on the noise that they're going to be canceling, thus they have the hardware required for a feature like that by design.
The Pandas do have a microphone though - which means it's entirely possible (and has been mooted by the Drop team).

post-15601156
Post #387 of 441

AlwaysForward

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
The Pandas do have a microphone though - which means it's entirely possible (and has been mooted by the Drop team).
Interesting point. So far, the pass through has been enabled by multiple mics. I guess it may be technically feasible to explore this with a single mic. I’m very much watching for any/all DSP announcements on this product. Personally, I’m hoping for a parametric EQ and loudness curves.

post-15602111
Post #388 of 441

descloud

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
The panda is hard to resists, but in Europa we have to spend around USD 510 (including shipping, custom and tax) to get it. Worth it? That is same price as the as a Denon AH-D7200. Momentum 3 is USD 350. An open planar such as Sundara costs USD 375. I cannot make up my mind. Portability is nice but I am mostly listening sitting down at home. Does Sundara beat the Panda in sound quality?
If the Panda does follow the sound of the PM3s which I have, I would say the Sundara is better than the Panda. Given, I don't really like the PM3 sound because they're too thick in the mids that cause unnatural representation of vocals and instruments, plus there was this weird spike somewhere in the 8k - 10k region that triggers on certain parts of songs that just annoys me.

If you were to go with the Sundara, it would be recommended to have a decent amp to play them off from. Their sensitivity is relatively low and does need more power than most headphones in its price range.

Reactions: MalinYamato
post-15602491
Post #389 of 441

MalinYamato

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
malin.jp
If the Panda does follow the sound of the PM3s which I have, I would say the Sundara is better than the Panda. Given, I don't really like the PM3 sound because they're too thick in the mids that cause unnatural representation of vocals and instruments, plus there was this weird spike somewhere in the 8k - 10k region that triggers on certain parts of songs that just annoys me.

If you were to go with the Sundara, it would be recommended to have a decent amp to play them off from. Their sensitivity is relatively low and does need more power than most headphones in its price range.
thanks, do you have any amps you may recommend for use with Sundara?

post-15603709
Post #390 of 441

Maelob

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

FYI, Based on the original reviews while DROP used the same drivers as the PM-3 they dont sound the same, drop retuned the headphone.

Reactions: AlwaysForward

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)