Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Nov 9, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #1,081 of 1,383
Maybe you are sensitive with 4kHz area?
I definitely am, however, I can tolerate the NM2+ with no problem, and it’s even worse on a graph. However, the bass helps to balance things out some.

EDC16C1E-CD95-49BE-BC40-3907BD229889.png

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,082 of 1,383
I use Final Audio Type E tips on both the FDX1 and the Tape.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #1,083 of 1,383
I definitely am, however, I can tolerate the NM2+ with no problem, and it’s even worse on a graph. However, the bass helps to balance things out some.

Thats not bass, thats lower midrange warmth. Or bass bloat some like to call it

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,084 of 1,383

EDC16C1E-CD95-49BE-BC40-3907BD229889.png
Yeah, i think that is the point. The bass. Fdx1 doesn't have enough bass to serve your taste, so you might turn up the volume and at this time, the bass / midbass of fdx1 is the same with NM2+, but its upper mid is way too louder and too shouty.
I think that's why people find Fdx1 too harsh/shouty, we have to turn the volume up to listen to the bass.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,085 of 1,383
Thats not bass, thats lower midrange warmth. Or bass bloat some like to call it
It’s not sub bass, but there is a lot more mid and upper bass, and yes it adds warmth, which is the point. Sub bass doesn’t counteract upper midrange glare nearly as much as mid bass does. FWIW, I don’t find the bass bloated on the NM2+, even though the shape of the graph is not at all what I would typically find ideal.

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,086 of 1,383
Yeah, i think that is the point. The bass. Fdx1 doesn't have enough bass to serve your taste, so you might turn up the volume and at this time, the bass / midbass of fdx1 is the same with NM2+, but its upper mid is way too louder and too shouty.
I think that's why people find Fdx1 too harsh/shouty, we have to turn the volume up to listen to the bass.
Yep, and the Fletcher Munson curve only exacerbates that harshness of the upper mids. Individual hearing and anatomy still does play a role though, for instance, the ISN D02 has a lot more bass (mid bass and sub bass) compared to the NM2+, and the upper mids are not as peaky as on the NM2+, yet the glare on the D02 is too much for me, so I have to use MP tape.

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,087 of 1,383
It shows you that everyone hears things completely differently. I don't find them shouty in the slightest. Not even a tiny little bit. I find them tonally almost perfect. If anything I find the mids a little too laid back at times and I don't particularly like a bright signature. My idea of shouty are shouer tape and blessing 2. FDX1 are extremely laidback compared to those two
I agree with you about Tape and Blessing 2. These 2 earphones are so shouty with me too. In fact i cannot stay with any Moondrop iem too long, because all of them follow harman-tuning.

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #1,088 of 1,383
Yep, and the Fletcher Munson curve only exacerbates that harshness of the upper mids. Individual hearing and anatomy still does play a role though, for instance, the ISN D02 has a lot more bass (mid bass and sub bass) compared to the NM2+, and the upper mids are not as peaky as on the NM2+, yet the glare on the D02 is too much for me, so I have to use MP tape.
Yeah, we can't judge an earphone by its FR. I'm glad when you found yourself suitable iems. Btw, i am wondering if the Final Type E tips tamp the upper mid or the treble more?

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #1,091 of 1,383
Yeah, we can't judge an earphone by its FR. I'm glad when you found yourself suitable iems. Btw, i am wondering if the Final Type E tips tamp the upper mid or the treble more?
Subjectively, I find it pretty equally attenuates the upper mids and the treble, but not by a whole lot. It also makes the bass sound a little more prominent, which helps as well. I don’t have any equipment to measure the differences.

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #1,092 of 1,383
Yes, almost harman-tuned, diffuse field-tuned IEM can sound a little bit to extremely shouty, if you are sensitive with upper mid/ treble frequency. As you see, they push the upper midrange from 1Khz till 5 or 6kHz, and peaks at 2 to 4Khz.
That tuning styles are supposed to be neutral and Harman scientists have researched on many people. It's neutral for most but not everyone.
With me, the FDX1 isn't harshness and shouty like Harman-tuned or Diffuse, in fact, FDX1 sounds so clearly and transparently, and so clean. My FDX1 only sounds harsh when i pair it with Satin Hyperion cable (a silver plated cable).
I also find that maybe FDX1 sounds harsh with some gernes. I almost listen to progressive metal (dream thearer, haken, tool,...) and soundtrack (hans zimmer, joe hisaishi,...) and some ballad, classic rock (scorpions, queen, eagle). FDX1 just did absolutely perfect job. But when i go to some heavier gernes like death metal, heavy metal, FDX1 sounds a bit shouty when cymbals, guitar distortion, vocal's shout are in the battle.
graph (3).png
graph (4).png
Thanks for this. Which filter are you using on the FDX1?

I understand your feeling...
My advice is you should do more research before buying something.

And yes, I use them everyday and like them a lot.

And I think the FDX1 is a mix between FD01 and FD02.
Honestly I'm curious how they sound.
Well, I'm a noob at audio stuff so I would never know what you guys say with the terms you use. Only slowly getting to grips with it.
I took Crinacle's word for it that they are good, since he gave them an A- on his list.
The FDX1s really ticked all the boxes for me but I didn't know they would be so harsh/sharp/shouty and that I would be so sensitive to it.

It shows you that everyone hears things completely differently. I don't find them shouty in the slightest. Not even a tiny little bit. I find them tonally almost perfect. If anything I find the mids a little too laid back at times and I don't particularly like a bright signature. My idea of shouty are shouer tape and blessing 2. FDX1 are extremely laidback compared to those two
I imagine it's because you don't listen to them very loud? I keep them on 50-60 volume but I've noticed that they become less shouty at lower volumes but also the details and other things go away with it.

What filter and volume do all of you guys use with the FDX1?

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,093 of 1,383
The FDX1s really ticked all the boxes for me but I didn't know they would be so harsh/sharp/shouty and that I would be so sensitive to it.

You can do a test if there's something wrong with your FDX1

Use this tone generator to do a sweep from 1000 Hz downwards. (ATTENTION! Reduce the volume before you do that)
https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

The loudness from about 800Hz down should remain roughly the same until about 100 Hz, after that it starts dropping off, but even at 30 Hz you should still clearly hear a low rumble.
It is a little hard to differentiate between frequency and loudness, but not too hard.
Also pay attention if the sound stays in the center, or if it moves off to one direction as you change the frequency.

I received a pair of FDX1 with a channel imbalance and very weak bass response - it was almost as if there was a part of the music missing, virtually no bass on one side and very weak on the other.
With the test above you can check for such defects.

For reference - those were the measurements of my FDX1.
Yellow & green is my modded FD02 which should be very similar to the FDX1
Blue and purple are the 2 sides of the FDX1. (Not sure what damping I used, so please disregard the curves above 1kHz)

6AAB79C4-E3BD-4E38-B005-94E1BEE2C2B7.png

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #1,094 of 1,383

Well, I'm a noob at audio stuff so I would never know what you guys say with the terms you use. Only slowly getting to grips with it.
I took Crinacle's word for it that they are good, since he gave them an A- on his list.

I imagine it's because you don't listen to them very loud? I keep them on 50-60 volume but I've noticed that they become less shouty at lower volumes but also the details and other things go away with it.

I use the stock tips. I do listen to them about the same. Maybe it’s because I use a warm source. The mids sounds pretty balanced with the bass and highs. The fh3 maybe a better bet for you. Similar sound with more balanced midrange.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #1,095 of 1,383

I almost use the middle and the most damped filters. I used the stock filter once and it is so bright for me. The middle and the most are better. There is just small difference between these two. The most damped filter is smoother.

Btw, anyone here try the Acoustune Aet07 tips? It seems a very good eartips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back