Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Nov 7, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,067 of 1,383
Yeah, that might be the issue. I get the sense the FDX1 requires more power than the average IEM.
It does like/need quite a lot of power.

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #1,068 of 1,383
Ok, I tried them with iPhone 7 with its headphone jack dongle and a certain song (Twisted Soul by Pint Shot Riot) still sounds bad, with the electronic guitar in the background being too sharp. Sharpness is the only problem I have with these headphones. :frowning2:

Edit:
Does anyone else who owns the FDX1 feel that them being so sharp/shouty is a real issue or is it just me?

What did you guys do? Learn to enjoy them despite the issue or what?

Do they become better over time?

I’m using the most damp filter and it’s still there very evidently.

Could it be because I listen to them at 50-60 volume (Shanling M0)?

It does like/need quite a lot of power.
Do you believe something with adequate power would correct the sharpness/shouty-ness of it?

Do you think an iPhone 7 with the headphone jack dongle is powerful enough? If not, what about a Hiby R3 Pro (looking to purchase in future)?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #1,069 of 1,383
Ok, I tried them with iPhone 7 with its headphone jack dongle and a certain song (Twisted Soul by Pint Shot Riot) still sounds bad, with the electronic guitar in the background being too sharp. Sharpness is the only problem I have with these headphones. :frowning2:

Edit:
Does anyone else who owns the FDX1 feel that them being so sharp/shouty is a real issue or is it just me?

Do you believe something with adequate power would correct the sharpness/shouty-ness of it?

Do you think an iPhone 7 with the headphone jack dongle is powerful enough? If not, what about a Hiby R3 Pro (looking to purchase in future)?

I did not had the chance to try the FDX1 but I’ve had FD02 and now I have FD01 and both are peaky at some point. I’ve tried using some damper material to fill the nozzles but I don’t like the result and it feels like you loose resolution.

I’m sure these are not for everyone and may sound shouty and peaky but it’s something you get used to, or not.
I’ve listen to more expensive IEMs / headphones which sound more shouty and peaky than these but this is the way they are tuned.

Been using them with Mojo, BTR1K, iphone dongle and I like them anyway... I prefer Mojo and now I have a Poly and I can even go portable 😄

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,070 of 1,383

Edit:

I feel you. To be honest, i am not a treble sensitive person, but sometime i admit the FDX1 is shouty, even with the most dampned filter (it's still acceptable shouty/harshness), especially when you listen to some heavy metal, death metal, etc. I think the FDX1 sounds shouty with you because it doesn't have right bass for you, you might try too turn up the volume to hear the bass, at this moment, upper mid become more shouty.
The solution: get the better seal with some deep insertion tips (to improve the bass), find better cooper cables. After 1 or 2 tries, if it still sounds harshnesss, i think you should buy another iem, but not something like Harman-tune, Diffuse-tune...

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #1,071 of 1,383
I did not had the chance to try the FDX1 but I’ve had FD02 and now I have FD01 and both are peaky at some point. I’ve tried using some damper material to fill the nozzles but I don’t like the result and it feels like you loose resolution.

I’m sure these are not for everyone and may sound shouty and peaky but it’s something you get used to, or not.
I’ve listen to more expensive IEMs / headphones which sound more shouty and peaky than these but this is the way they are tuned.

Been using them with Mojo, BTR1K, iphone dongle and I like them anyway... I prefer Mojo and now I have a Poly and I can even go portable 😄
I like that you like them despite their "shortcomings" (if you may call them that). You're totally fine with the FD01 (which I imagine is the FDX1 with stock filters) with how shouty it is (because it was TOO much for me, lol)? Do you listen to them a lot?

I feel you. To be honest, i am not a treble sensitive person, but sometime i admit the FDX1 is shouty, even with the most dampned filter (it's still acceptable shouty/harshness), especially when you listen to some heavy metal, death metal, etc. I think the FDX1 sounds shouty with you because it doesn't have right bass for you, you might try too turn up the volume to hear the bass, at this moment, upper mid become more shouty.
The solution: get the better seal with some deep insertion tips (to improve the bass), find better cooper cables. After 1 or 2 tries, if it still sounds harshnesss, i think you should buy another iem, but not something like Harman-tune, Diffuse-tune...
So all Harman-tuned IEMs are like this?
I don't have access to a shop that would sell copper cables but I'll try to do these things when I do, hopefully.

So you've become used to the shouty-ness?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,072 of 1,383
I like that you like them despite their "shortcomings" (if you may call them that). You're totally fine with the FD01 (which I imagine is the FDX1 with stock filters) with how shouty it is (because it was TOO much for me, lol)? Do you listen to them a lot?

So all Harman-tuned IEMs are like this?
I don't have access to a shop that would sell copper cables but I'll try to do these things when I do, hopefully.

So you've become used to the shouty-ness?
Yes, almost harman-tuned, diffuse field-tuned IEM can sound a little bit to extremely shouty, if you are sensitive with upper mid/ treble frequency. As you see, they push the upper midrange from 1Khz till 5 or 6kHz, and peaks at 2 to 4Khz.
That tuning styles are supposed to be neutral and Harman scientists have researched on many people. It's neutral for most but not everyone.
With me, the FDX1 isn't harshness and shouty like Harman-tuned or Diffuse, in fact, FDX1 sounds so clearly and transparently, and so clean. My FDX1 only sounds harsh when i pair it with Satin Hyperion cable (a silver plated cable).
I also find that maybe FDX1 sounds harsh with some gernes. I almost listen to progressive metal (dream thearer, haken, tool,...) and soundtrack (hans zimmer, joe hisaishi,...) and some ballad, classic rock (scorpions, queen, eagle). FDX1 just did absolutely perfect job. But when i go to some heavier gernes like death metal, heavy metal, FDX1 sounds a bit shouty when cymbals, guitar distortion, vocal's shout are in the battle.
graph (3).png

graph (4).png

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #1,073 of 1,383

I understand your feeling...
My advice is you should do more research before buying something.

And yes, I use them everyday and like them a lot.

And I think the FDX1 is a mix between FD01 and FD02.
Honestly I'm curious how they sound.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #1,074 of 1,383
I understand your feeling...
My advice is you should do more research before buying something.

And yes, I use them everyday and like them a lot.

And I think the FDX1 is a mix between FD01 and FD02.
Honestly I'm curious how they sound.
The FDx1 is the FD01, without the brass and titanium nozzles and some cosmetic knurling. So the HA-FD01 is a step above, if you believe that the varying metal compositions can make a sonic difference.

For myself, I can’t distinguish amongst the three nozzles.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,075 of 1,383
The FDx1 is the FD01, without the brass and titanium nozzles and some cosmetic knurling. So the HA-FD01 is a step above, if you believe that the varying metal compositions can make a sonic difference.

For myself, I can’t distinguish amongst the three nozzles.
The backplate looks like the one from the FD02 and the bass seems to be somewhere in between the 01 and X1 and that’s why I presumed to be a mix. Also the graph of the modded 01 looks similar to the X1.

Anyway, just some opinions...

As materials go certainly they make a difference since specific materials are used for certain instruments.
Don’t know if this is the case doh 😄

I’m using the brass version lately

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,076 of 1,383
It shows you that everyone hears things completely differently. I don't find them shouty in the slightest. Not even a tiny little bit. I find them tonally almost perfect. If anything I find the mids a little too laid back at times and I don't particularly like a bright signature. My idea of shouty are shouer tape and blessing 2. FDX1 are extremely laidback compared to those two

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,077 of 1,383
It shows you that everyone hears things completely differently. I don't find them shouty in the slightest. Not even a tiny little bit. I find them tonally almost perfect. If anything I find the mids a little too laid back at times and I don't particularly like a bright signature. My idea of shouty are shouer tape and blessing 2. FDX1 are extremely laidback compared to those two
Are u using the filters with damper material?
I’m asking because I’m curious.

I totally agree about the Tape’s
Horrible

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #1,078 of 1,383
Yep, we all hear things differently. For a while, I couldn’t stand the upper mids on the FDX1, until I finally found a good ear tip, and modded the nozzle still. In contrast, while the Tape certainly can be shouty, it never bothered me too much, nothing like the FDX1 did. Also, I can tolerate the NM2+ w/o any problems.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #1,079 of 1,383
Yep, we all hear things differently. For a while, I couldn’t stand the upper mids on the FDX1, until I finally found a good ear tip, and modded the nozzle still. In contrast, while the Tape certainly can be shouty, it never bothered me too much, nothing like the FDX1 did. Also, I can tolerate the NM2+ w/o any problems.
[/QUOTE My point exactly. What tips do you use on the tapes ?

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #1,080 of 1,383
Maybe you are sensitive with 4kHz area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back