Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Nov 1, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #1,051 of 1,383
I was using the blue filter on these FDX1s for basically this whole year, and I only tried the stock white filter with no damping once. Well, just yesterday and today I tried the white filter again, and the treble resolution I am getting is truly something special. I always use EQ with the FDX1, but that was with the middle damping blue filter. I switched to the white filter and adjusted my EQ settings, and it sounds cleaner, clearer, tighter, pretty much everything is improved, but the upper treble air is the most improved. Mind you, without EQ, the white filter makes them sound too forward from 4-6 kHz, so that area I EQ down by a good amount. But once that area is addressed, the rest of the range is just nearly perfect. What's amazing though, the treble resolution on the white filter equalized FDX1 sounds a lot like my Focal Clear! It really does sound that good to me.
Yep, that is what I discovered. The damped nozzles are actually not really appropriate for the FD01/FDX1. Using circumferential damping attentuates the treble primarily, especially the upper treble. It proportionally effects the upper midrange (which is the offending factor for the FD01) less. By the time you have attenuated the upper mids enough, the treble becomes a bit dull and loses a bunch of upper treble air. I figured this out via a lot experimentation and analyzing Crinacle’s graphs. Using something like micropore tape over the nozzle attenuates upper midrange a lot more, and doesn’t affect the treble nearly as much. While using the most damped nozzles, I found the upper midrange glare still too much for me. Putting micropore tape over the most damped nozzles finally eased the upper mids, but I really missed the treble. I then tried the stock filter and applied a micropore tape type mod, and voila, the upper mids are not so edgy, but there is plenty of treble/air.

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #1,052 of 1,383
@funnyjoke,
Tips I think would be a really minimal effect wouldn't they? I also really like these tips that they come with.
Ear tips actually have a significant effect on the sound. Final Audio E tips have a narrow bore, and it helps attenuate the upper mids a little, and helps give the bass a slight overall boost. I use the Final tips also.

This is the effect I hear as well.

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #1,053 of 1,383
Will the bass presence be more robust? I like the FDX1 for its neutrality and subbass but sometimes I do crave more if the soundstage, imaging and resolution can be maintained or increased.

Interesting. I haven't considered other JVC offerings. All the rage I feel has been LZ A7, Legacy 3 customs or Mangird Tea.

I'm surprised you don't notice a big difference going from the IT01 to FDX1? The IT01 definitely has the edge on a fun sounding set. I have the IT00 and I remember the IT01 being a tad less warm but with more bass impact and definition. The IT00 sounds completely different from the FDX1. What music genre are you listening to? No attack or anything, just curious. I'd love to also get something like the IT01 or IT00 with high resolution and a big soundstage.
Yes, I didn't notice a big difference, but I'm still getting used to them. I'm also not very knowledgeable on audiophile terminology so I judge IEMs by the overall sound they give, and I didn't notice a huge difference in the FDX1 coming from the IT01 except that the FDX1 is more "refined" I guess (on stock filters)? Maybe I'm not hearing them right though. I listen to Rock, Alternative, EDM, Rap/Hip-Hop and Instrumentals.

@funnyjoke,
Is upper mids what I'm referring to when I say they sound shrill at times with "loud" music or in the treble frequency?
Yes, the peak at 4 KHz makes it sound “shouty” especially at louder volumes.

Tips I think would be a really minimal effect wouldn't they? I also really like these tips that they come with.
Ear tips actually have a significant effect on the sound. Final Audio E tips have a narrow bore, and it helps attenuate the upper mids a little, and helps give the bass a slight overall boost. I use the Final tips also.
Oh, that's nice to know. I might buy new tips sometime in the future and try them on my IEMs.

Also nice to know that what I'm feeling about the FDX1 (that they sound shrill when they're loud) is a thing with others too and the FDX1 was developed to change that. :O

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,054 of 1,383
Yep, that is what I discovered. The damped nozzles are actually not really appropriate for the FD01/FDX1. Using circumferential damping attentuates the treble primarily, especially the upper treble. It proportionally effects the upper midrange (which is the offending factor for the FD01) less. By the time you have attenuated the upper mids enough, the treble becomes a bit dull and loses a bunch of upper treble air. I figured this out via a lot experimentation and analyzing Crinacle’s graphs. Using something like micropore tape over the nozzle attenuates upper midrange a lot more, and doesn’t affect the treble nearly as much. While using the most damped nozzles, I found the upper midrange glare still too much for me. Putting micropore tape over the most damped nozzles finally eased the upper mids, but I really missed the treble. I then tried the stock filter and applied a micropore tape type mod, and voila, the upper mids are not so edgy, but there is plenty of treble/air.
Interesting, I may have to try that micropore tape mod out. Do you use the 3M brand?

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #1,055 of 1,383
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,056 of 1,383
Hi guys after a few days testing Fdx1 with Satin Hyperion (SPC 7N litz cable) and Xelastec, I just see that the stock cable and stock tips are better in some aspects. First, about the Satin Hyperion cable, it's great and beautiful as well, it improve soundstage and instrument seperation on the Fdx1, it seems give a deeper bass. But, it also push upper mid foward, that makes the earphone sounds harsher (a little) and brighter. Xelastec tip is the same, makes the sound brighter, even i feel there is a bigger bass. I cannot go with that bright sound
I want the same FR like iwith stock cable but bigger soundstage and better seperation (like with Satin Hyperion), is that possible? Could something like 7N litz OCC cooper cable or UPOCC cooper cable make it? About tips, i just see the stock tips are fine and maybe i will order Spiral dot (original) and Spiral dot ++ to see if there is a difference =)

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #1,057 of 1,383
Hi guys after a few days testing Fdx1 with Satin Hyperion (SPC 7N litz cable) and Xelastec, I just see that the stock cable and stock tips are better in some aspects. First, about the Satin Hyperion cable, it's great and beautiful as well, it improve soundstage and instrument seperation on the Fdx1, it seems give a deeper bass. But, it also push upper mid foward, that makes the earphone sounds harsher (a little) and brighter. Xelastec tip is the same, makes the sound brighter, even i feel there is a bigger bass. I cannot go with that bright sound
I want the same FR like iwith stock cable but bigger soundstage and better seperation (like with Satin Hyperion), is that possible? Could something like 7N litz OCC cooper cable or UPOCC cooper cable make it? About tips, i just see the stock tips are fine and maybe i will order Spiral dot (original) and Spiral dot ++ to see if there is a difference =)
Yes, I've been using a UPOCC cable on mine for a month now and its great.

Nov 3, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #1,058 of 1,383

The Nobunaga Yuuzen would meet this requirements, but it's rather expensive, uncomfortable (thick, heavy, tight, knotty braid) and it started to oxidize after a few months of use.
But maybe the general specifications and construction give you a hint what to look for.

My favorite cable now is this DIY one:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15651435

Regarding the tips, the ones that come with the FDX1 are the Spiral Dot originals.
After you idetified the right size maybe get the Spiral Dots ++ in the same size.
They are softer and adapt to the ear a little bit like memory foam. Very comfortable and they even sound a bit better.
If a size of the originals is just a tad too big, the ++ should be OK, at least that was my experince. The original ML were just creating a litte discomfort and pressure points, the ML ++ fits perfectly.

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,059 of 1,383
Yes, I've been using a UPOCC cable on mine for a month now and its great.
Thank you, i think i will find an upocc or cooper cable, i tested several silver plated (or pure silver) cables but they make the sound much brighter.
The Nobunaga Yuuzen would meet this requirements, but it's rather expensive, uncomfortable (thick, heavy, tight, knotty braid) and it started to oxidize after a few months of use.
But maybe the general specifications and construction give you a hint what to look for.

My favorite cable now is this DIY one:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15651435

Regarding the tips, the ones that come with the FDX1 are the Spiral Dot originals.
After you idetified the right size maybe get the Spiral Dots ++ in the same size.
They are softer and adapt to the ear a little bit like memory foam. Very comfortable and they even sound a bit better.
If a size of the originals is just a tad too big, the ++ should be OK, at least that was my experince. The original ML were just creating a litte discomfort and pressure points, the ML ++ fits perfectly.
Hey thank about the DIY cable.
I will find some spiral dot ++ tips tomorrow :D

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #1,060 of 1,383
Guys, I tried the most damp filter and the vocals sounded too recessed, so I switched to the filter that sits in the middle in terms of damping and it still sounds “shouty” and it’s kinda unbearable with most songs. What should I do? 🤔

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #1,061 of 1,383
Nov 6, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #1,063 of 1,383
Thank you for the tip. But I am wondering that it may cause damages to the driver?
Btw, anyone can compare this with Fiio FH7? I just heard a demo of FH5 in headphone store, it seems to be less shouty than FDX1 but sometime sibilance? Electric guitar on FDX1 is cruncher, bite. FH5 is smoother on this area but when come to cymbals FH5 is sharper, but like Akg n40, cymbals like that are sometime make me feel fantasy, i mean, surround but unreal.
I have not much time but i think the bass is equal between the two.
How do you think about FH7, is it better than FH5 and is it worth to upgrade from FDX1?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #1,065 of 1,383

Users who are viewing this thread

Back