Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
May 19, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #676 of 1,383
Keep yna
Has any1 tried FD02, FD01, FDX1 and can do a comparison?
Is there any difference between these in terms of sound, clarity, separation?

I'm asking because I sold my KPE and I miss them.

And I would like replace them with one of the above.

Leaning towards FD02 because of the price of course :)
Hello neighbor! (Romania is not THAT far at least...)
I chose the FD02 over a year agos before travelling to Japan based advise from someone close to the guy who came up with the FD01 mod, @james444
But I have never heard the FD01 and my first FDX1 had a quality issue and the replacement pair is stuck in the US with a friend until after the world returns to normal.

I listened to the stock FD01 and FD02 at e-earphones in Tokyo and found the FD01 even brighter than the FD02.
But I never had the chance to compare the modded FD01 to my modded FD02.

Modding the FD02 with 3M MicroPore tape is really easy with the right tools, but the FD01 is even easier, since you only need scissors, a ruler and a toothpick.
And the FD02 really needs a better cable, a pure silver cable works best for me. (****, ALO and DIY cables all sound good)

So after adding the cable the price difference is small, and the DROP FD01 and FDX1 become very attractive.
Only issue is that the first batch of the FDX1 had quite a few quality issues, hopefully the new batches are better. For us non-US citizens an exchange is complicated...

So either of them is a good choice and a great update to the Kanas Pro (I also came from the KPE)

May 19, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #677 of 1,383
Has any1 tried FD02, FD01, FDX1 and can do a comparison?
Is there any difference between these in terms of sound, clarity, separation?

I'm asking because I sold my KPE and I miss them.

And I would like replace them with one of the above.

Leaning towards FD02 because of the price of course :)

If you miss the KP why not going KxxS (or perhaps Starfield but I don't have this one) , it sounds better than KP and is much closer to it tonally than the FD JVCs.

May 19, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #678 of 1,383
I don't know if this is an old issue, that I'm only now making the observation of. But beyond the aperture of the fill (between the two tunings) on the FDX1s, the height of the fill is also different.

In my several "Goldilocks" attempts of customizing my FD01s, I ended up with a higher fill as well. I found that having a slight protrusion of the filler tamed the higher registers (8K and above) that can sometimes fatigue my ears.

(FDX1 pre-filled filters)
JVC FDX1 filters.jpg

May 19, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #679 of 1,383
Keep yna

Hello neighbor! (Romania is not THAT far at least...)
I chose the FD02 over a year agos before travelling to Japan based advise from someone close to the guy who came up with the FD01 mod, @james444
But I have never heard the FD01 and my first FDX1 had a quality issue and the replacement pair is stuck in the US with a friend until after the world returns to normal.

I listened to the stock FD01 and FD02 at e-earphones in Tokyo and found the FD01 even brighter than the FD02.
But I never had the chance to compare the modded FD01 to my modded FD02.

Modding the FD02 with 3M MicroPore tape is really easy with the right tools, but the FD01 is even easier, since you only need scissors, a ruler and a toothpick.
And the FD02 really needs a better cable, a pure silver cable works best for me. (****, ALO and DIY cables all sound good)

So after adding the cable the price difference is small, and the DROP FD01 and FDX1 become very attractive.
Only issue is that the first batch of the FDX1 had quite a few quality issues, hopefully the new batches are better. For us non-US citizens an exchange is complicated...

So either of them is a good choice and a great update to the Kanas Pro (I also came from the KPE)
Hello neighbor!
From not that far :D

The difference in price is quite something because the FD02 is 21.000JPY and FD01 is 32.000JPY, with taxes and shipping.
As for the upgrade cable I want to make a silver cable to add to my collection so I will use that. Or go with copper as always :D

Thank you!

May 19, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #682 of 1,383
I am interested in the FDX1, but I am going through a treble sensitive phase. I am seeking out more laid back IEMs in my collection. 🤔 What to do?

May 19, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #683 of 1,383
I am interested in the FDX1, but I am going through a treble sensitive phase. I am seeking out more laid back IEMs in my collection. 🤔 What to do?
It would depend on what “treble” you are sensitive to specifically. Is it the upper midrange (around 4KHz), the treble around 8KHz, or the treble past 10KHz? If it is the upper midrange “shouty” frequencies, then this maybe isn’t for you. The treble frequencies are not too pronounced, and are easily damped by the different nozzles. With any damping, there is not much treble past 10KHz.

May 19, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #684 of 1,383

Sony N3? Good detail but not bright IMO (a little tricky to say for sure because everyone has diff sensitivities like above poster noted).

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #685 of 1,383
6kHz is usually problematic for me. 8kHz is fine.

May 19, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #686 of 1,383
has anyone used zeiss lens cleaning wipe vs the 2 ply alcohol swab?

With the pandemic, the alcohol swab is nearly impossible to find locally, hate to order a whole bunch on amazon, and I have some zeiss lens cleaning wipe at home.

May 19, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #690 of 1,383
Thanks for the insight. Something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back