DROP + DAN CLARK AUDIO AEON CLOSED X HEADPHONES
Mar 10, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #91 of 111
These drop to $379 during sales season? Will def pick one up for that price. Seems perfect for office use.
Inflation seems to have hit Drop, and $429 is the sale price these days.

Mar 28, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #93 of 111
I see a quite a few new pairs listed on ebay for $300-350 (some marked as open box). Are they good value?

New for $300 to $350? I would say so. I got mine from Drop on sale for $429 amd thought that was a fantastic deal for a headphone that's this good.

Mar 28, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #95 of 111
New but "open box", and some have warped pads, so "lightly used" would be more accurate.

$429 is great price considering it's brand new with warranty etc.

If the headphones are in like new condition and the pads are still usable for reasonable time I think those prices are about right. If, however, the warp you're mentioning with the pads means that they're misshapen and need to be replaced I certainly wouldn't pay more than $300 and would likely look to offer a bit less. I have seen pairs in very good/excellent condition with pads with good life left in them going in the $250-$300 range.

Honestly though, if these are the headphones you want their performance certainly makes them easily worth the $300 to $350. Could you probably snag a pair cheaper if you kept an eye out? Yes. Would you probably still feel very satisfied snagging these headphones at this price? I know I would.

Edit: I should mention that they hit that $429 sale price on Drop what seems like every few months so you could hold out for that if you're down to be patient.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #96 of 111
If the headphones are in like new condition and the pads are still usable for reasonable time I think those prices are about right. If, however, the warp you're mentioning with the pads means that they're misshapen and need to be replaced I certainly wouldn't pay more than $300 and would likely look to offer a bit less. I have seen pairs in very good/excellent condition with pads with good life left in them going in the $250-$300 range.

Honestly though, if these are the headphones you want their performance certainly makes them easily worth the $300 to $350. Could you probably snag a pair cheaper if you kept an eye out? Yes. Would you probably still feel very satisfied snagging these headphones at this price? I know I would.

Edit: I should mention that they hit that $429 sale price on Drop what seems like every few months so you could hold out for that if you're down to be patient.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll do some more research on the pads and try find a pair in better condition.

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #97 of 111
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll do some more research on the pads and try find a pair in better condition.

The reason I mentioned the pads is that some versions of the Aeon pads are susceptible to the seams rolling out of place and it can potentially make it so they don't seal properly and need to be replaced. I don't know if this applies to the ACX and AOX or just the Aeon 2, Aeon Noire, and Aeon R/T. That said, I have owned or currently own all of those models except the R/T and have used them for years through multiple pad changes and never had this happen to me.

If the pads are misshapen on the pairs being offered I don't know if they night be more likely to have this problem, but figured I woukd put it out there.

Otherwise, good luck and happy hunting! The ACX is my favorite under $500 closed back headphone so it's worth finding a good pair, IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #98 of 111
Has any member, based in the UK, ordered these direct from drop.com in the US ? Did you get stung for VAT/import tax ?

I'm seriously tempted, especially at the current sales price, but......open or closed ? :thinking:

Mar 31, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #99 of 111
It totally depends on your use case. I have the Closed and love them. They are for the times when there is enough noise in the house that I would not be able to listen as closely as I would like. When I have quite, I reach for my Anandas.
The Closed are excellent, and I read of many who prefer them to the DCA Aeon Open X. Comfort is superior, and both Open and Closed share that trait. I don't own the Opens, so I can't directly compare sound; but if I didn't already have the Anandas (open, beautifully wide soundstage and airy presentation), I could probably be quite content with the DCA Aeon Closed X. Both Open and Closed share a robust construction as well and should serve you well for a long time.
Has any member, based in the UK, ordered these direct from drop.com in the US ? Did you get stung for VAT/import tax ?

I'm seriously tempted, especially at the current sales price, but......open or closed ? :thinking:

Apr 1, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #100 of 111
Thank you, @Bookbear, that kinda helps.....external noise is not really an issue for me, so I'm swaying towards open, but.....might be good to add a pair of closed backs to my little gang, you know, just as a reference ? :L3000:

Been tempted by the Anandas, too. A boxed pair sold yesterday on Fleabay UK for £305/$377 ! :open_mouth: Then there's the Edition XS.....no wonder I'm confuddled.....:xf_confused:

That being said, with American build quality, best-in-class comfort, and absolutely drop-dead gorgeous aesthetics, I don't think you can beat the Aeons.

Apr 1, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #101 of 111
Thank you, @Bookbear, that kinda helps.....external noise is not really an issue for me, so I'm swaying towards open, but.....might be good to add a pair of closed backs to my little gang, you know, just as a reference ? :L3000:

Been tempted by the Anandas, too. A boxed pair sold yesterday on Fleabay UK for £305/$377 ! :open_mouth: Then there's the Edition XS.....no wonder I'm confuddled.....:xf_confused:

That being said, with American build quality, best-in-class comfort, and absolutely drop-dead gorgeous aesthetics, I don't think you can beat the Aeons.
Personally, I find the XS to be much less comfortable. Compare images of the two and focus on the headband. Truly, the Anandas are much more comfortable, imho.
Also, budgets permitting, having both closed and open headphones at hand is a good idea. You never know if/how your external noise situation may change in the future!

Apr 1, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #102 of 111
Personally, I find the XS to be much less comfortable. Compare images of the two and focus on the headband. Truly, the Anandas are much more comfortable, imho.
Also, budgets permitting, having both closed and open headphones at hand is a good idea. You never know if/how your external noise situation may change in the future!

If you find the Anandas to be comfortable, the Aeons will blow you away. They are truly one of the most comfortable headphones out there. While I agree that the Anandas are better than the Ed XS comfortwise, they're still well behind the Aeons, IMO/IME.

Apr 1, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #103 of 111
Thanks for the feedback, @JAnonymous5150 & @Bookbear. I realised the comfort benefits of a suspended strap when I got my Verums.

Was gonna pull the trigger on a pair yesterday on drop.com, but waited a day to get them on my April credit card statement.

Big mistake...today's price is $100 more than yesterday ! 😡 Still, there's a couple of options on Fleabay...I'm not in a hurry.

Apr 1, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #104 of 111
Thanks for the feedback, @JAnonymous5150 & @Bookbear. I realised the comfort benefits of a suspended strap when I got my Verums.

Was gonna pull the trigger on a pair yesterday on drop.com, but waited a day to get them on my April credit card statement.

Big mistake...today's price is $100 more than yesterday ! 😡 Still, there's a couple of options on Fleabay...I'm not in a hurry.

The price on the Aeons fluctuates a lot. If you keep an eye on drop the price will drop back down to $429 every couple of months at least and sometimes more often.

Edit: Happy hunting! 👍😎

Apr 1, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #105 of 111
Question, for all of you lovely people on this thread...what would you choose, for roughly the same price, between these two options ?

1. Brand new Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Open X with full warranty

or

2. Second-hand Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open Back, good condition and lightly used, all original accessories & authentication certificate, and from a loving audiophile home containing 13 pairs of other cans and numerous, expensive aftermarket cables

:thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back