DROP + DAN CLARK AUDIO AEON CLOSED X HEADPHONES
Nov 18, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #31 of 109
cans.jpeg

FedEx finally decided to deliver my Drop+Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X (hereafter referred to as ACX) cans today, after driving them around the city for 12 hours yeterday. I am auditioning closed back cans to be my work headphones. I have also obtained a Schiit Fulla 4 DAC/Amp to run from my work PC with MusicBee serving as my music player. I have a collection of FLAC music files of various resolutions, with the majority being CD-quality.

ACCESSORIES

The ACX comes in a zippered hard carrying case with no handle, but a nylon mesh pouch on the inside for cables. Also included are 4 "tuning" pads that can be placed inside the cups to attenuate various aspects of the sound. One pair comes pre-inserted. I used that for my listening today. A single ended 3.5mm cable with a 6.3mm adapter is included. I purchased a balanced cable from Fog City Audio on Etsy to use with my DAP (Sony WM1A).

BUILD

The ACX is very light, being a mix of plastic and what feels like aluminum around the cups. It is not, however, cheap feeling. The metal wire headband has a memory, and can be bent any which way with no damage. This makes for a very good fit on a wide variety of heads. A leather head strap is suspended by two friction-fit sliders, allowing for up and down adjustment. The headphone is extraordinarily comfortable on the head.The pads are memory foam, about 3/4" thick and 1" deep. The foam inside the protein leather does move around a bit and requires a bit of massaging to straighten out.

SOURCES

Running through the Schiit Fulla 4 from my Surface Book 2 laptop, there was more than enough power to drive the ACX to my preferred 70dB listening level. The knob floats mostly around the 10 o'clock position to achieve this volume. Volume is uncomfortable (and dangerous) past 12 o'clock on the dial. On my DAP via balanced cable, volume was set around 70/120. Single-ended more like 82/120. So again, still plenty of headroom. On my less powerful NW-A45 Walkman, which only has 3.5mm output, volume was set at 85/120. My Xperia 1iii phone drove the ACX to the same volume via 3.5mm cable at 75% of the Android volume slider. I detected no difference in performance on any of these devices. Bass was just as deep, soundstage was the same, regardless of the power level of the given device. Given these experiences, I do not think the ACX requires any external amplification.

SOUND QUALITY

The sound profile of the ACX is (according to DMS) apparently very close to the Harman Target. This sounds right. Bass is pleasantly rich, but does not crowd out the middle or higher portions of the frequency. It's very balanced. The soundstage is relatively wide for a closed back and stereo image is good as well, with easily separated positions for instruments. Closed back isolation is quite good, making this an excellent choice for offices, coffee shops, and other moderate noise environments (probably not airplanes, though).

I have two points of comparison for "audiophile" headphones against he ACX - the Sony MDR-Z1R (my daily driver at home) and the Hifiman HE400SE, which I auditioned and rejected for the office due to its lack of isolation.

Against the HE400SE the ACX is significantly better. More bass, better isolation, equal detail and soundstage.

Against the MDR-Z1R I did some extensive comparison listening. The Z1R is Sony's TOTL headphone, with a 70mm dynamic driver and a special resonance attenuation chamber design. Here are my notes:

Emerson String Quartet - Beethoven String Quartet No. 7
Z1R much more involving on cello sounds, deeper bass reveals inner voice more. ACX delivers nice detail but not more. Big Win for Z1R.

Herbert von Karajan/BPO - Beethoven Symphony No. 5 (1977)

ACX provides very detailed rendition, strings more forward. Good hall resonance, perhaps slightly better than Z1R. Less crowded sound than Z1R. Z1R emphasizes contrabass more, which adds good low end and balances things out nicely. Smoother, less crunchy sound. Tie.

Counting Crows - Omaha

ACX Acoustic guitar stands out more, bass guitar gets a little muted. Percussion still nice and impactful. Z1R kick drum booms and churns. Acoustic guitar is enveloped in mix more. Slight win for Z1R.

Coldplay - The Scientist

ACX a little thin on piano resonance, Chris Martin's voice lacks bass. Acoustic guitar is more convincing. Z1R portrays piano and its inner voice better, Chris Martin's voice more rounded. Deeper bass. Slight win for Z1R.

Lady Gaga feat. Beyonce - Telephone

Gaga's vocal is richer on Z1R, as is the classical guitar intro. Stereo effects are also more pronounced. Bass churns. Oddly, ACX seems less in balance - when the dance bass line kicks in it seems way louder than vocals. Win for Z1R.

Miles Davis - So What

Cymbals are a little hissy on ACX. Stand up bass is too recessed. Z1R sounds richer and more like a room, less like an old tape recording. Sax is richer on Z1R. Still a nice showing for ACX. Slight win for Z1R.

Aerosmith - Janie's Got a Gun

Z1R renders bass and percussion better. ACX does a nice job on details. Slight win for Z1R.

Nine Inch Nails - Head Like A Hole (remastered)

ACX tuning emphasizes hiss in recording. Trent Reznor vocal stands out nicely, and more than Z1R. Z1R smoother and more impactful overall, much less fatiguing listen. Slight win for Z1R.

U2 - With or Without You

Z1R is smoother listen with deeper bass guitar rendition. ACX emphasizes the Edge's guitar part more and puts Bono more forward in the mix. Both engaging listens. Slight win for ACX.

The Strokes - Selfless

Z1R smoother and darker, ACX a bit crispier and puts vocals slightly more forward. Both very engaging on bass guitar part and overall presentation. Tie.

So all told, 7-2-1 Z1R/Tie/ACX.

I think this is a very good score for a headphone that costs 1/4 of its competition (granting the fact that the original non-Drop Aeon 2 Closed retailed for $800, or half of the Z1R). The ACX is terrific for rock and orchestral, and quite good for EDM and Pop. I like it a little bit less for Jazz and Chamber music - it's not bad by any means, but I think it's a bit too treble forward and bass light for those genres, at least compared to the Z1R. Of course if one had no basis for comparison, one would probably love it for those genres, too.

CONCLUSION

At their current price (keeping in mind they are sold out on Drop until March) they are a superb value, especially if you need a closed-back set of cans for travel or more challenging listening environments. They are easy to drive and come with a carrying case, making for a light commuting package for such high-quality listening. The sound profile is very "audiophile" in terms of detail and tuning, while still having enough bass to be fun for rock and EDM.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #32 of 109
cans.jpeg

FedEx finally decided to deliver my Drop+Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X (hereafter referred to as ACX) cans today, after driving them around the city for 12 hours yeterday. I am auditioning closed back cans to be my work headphones. I have also obtained a Schiit Fulla 4 DAC/Amp to run from my work PC with MusicBee serving as my music player. I have a collection of FLAC music files of various resolutions, with the majority being CD-quality.

ACCESSORIES

The ACX comes in a zippered hard carrying case with no handle, but a nylon mesh pouch on the inside for cables. Also included are 4 "tuning" pads that can be placed inside the cups to attenuate various aspects of the sound. One pair comes pre-inserted. I used that for my listening today. A single ended 3.5mm cable with a 6.3mm adapter is included. I purchased a balanced cable from Fog City Audio on Etsy to use with my DAP (Sony WM1A).

BUILD

The ACX is very light, being a mix of plastic and what feels like aluminum around the cups. It is not, however, cheap feeling. The metal wire headband has a memory, and can be bent any which way with no damage. This makes for a very good fit on a wide variety of heads. A leather head strap is suspended by two friction-fit sliders, allowing for up and down adjustment. The headphone is extraordinarily comfortable on the head.The pads are memory foam, about 3/4" thick and 1" deep. The foam inside the protein leather does move around a bit and requires a bit of massaging to straighten out.

SOURCES

Running through the Schiit Fulla 4 from my Surface Book 2 laptop, there was more than enough power to drive the ACX to my preferred 70dB listening level. The knob floats mostly around the 10 o'clock position to achieve this volume. Volume is uncomfortable (and dangerous) past 12 o'clock on the dial. On my DAP via balanced cable, volume was set around 70/120. Single-ended more like 82/120. So again, still plenty of headroom. On my less powerful NW-A45 Walkman, which only has 3.5mm output, volume was set at 85/120. My Xperia 1iii phone drove the ACX to the same volume via 3.5mm cable at 75% of the Android volume slider. I detected no difference in performance on any of these devices. Bass was just as deep, soundstage was the same, regardless of the power level of the given device. Given these experiences, I do not think the ACX requires any external amplification.

SOUND QUALITY

The sound profile of the ACX is (according to DMS) apparently very close to the Harman Target. This sounds right. Bass is pleasantly rich, but does not crowd out the middle or higher portions of the frequency. It's very balanced. The soundstage is relatively wide for a closed back and stereo image is good as well, with easily separated positions for instruments. Closed back isolation is quite good, making this an excellent choice for offices, coffee shops, and other moderate noise environments (probably not airplanes, though).

I have two points of comparison for "audiophile" headphones against he ACX - the Sony MDR-Z1R (my daily driver at home) and the Hifiman HE400SE, which I auditioned and rejected for the office due to its lack of isolation.

Against the HE400SE the ACX is significantly better. More bass, better isolation, equal detail and soundstage.

Against the MDR-Z1R I did some extensive comparison listening. The Z1R is Sony's TOTL headphone, with a 70mm dynamic driver and a special resonance attenuation chamber design. Here are my notes:

Emerson String Quartet - Beethoven String Quartet No. 7
Z1R much more involving on cello sounds, deeper bass reveals inner voice more. ACX delivers nice detail but not more. Big Win for Z1R.

Herbert von Karajan/BPO - Beethoven Symphony No. 5 (1977)

ACX provides very detailed rendition, strings more forward. Good hall resonance, perhaps slightly better than Z1R. Less crowded sound than Z1R. Z1R emphasizes contrabass more, which adds good low end and balances things out nicely. Smoother, less crunchy sound. Tie.

Counting Crows - Omaha

ACX Acoustic guitar stands out more, bass guitar gets a little muted. Percussion still nice and impactful. Z1R kick drum booms and churns. Acoustic guitar is enveloped in mix more. Slight win for Z1R.

Coldplay - The Scientist

ACX a little thin on piano resonance, Chris Martin's voice lacks bass. Acoustic guitar is more convincing. Z1R portrays piano and its inner voice better, Chris Martin's voice more rounded. Deeper bass. Slight win for Z1R.

Lady Gaga feat. Beyonce - Telephone

Gaga's vocal is richer on Z1R, as is the classical guitar intro. Stereo effects are also more pronounced. Bass churns. Oddly, ACX seems less in balance - when the dance bass line kicks in it seems way louder than vocals. Win for Z1R.

Miles Davis - So What

Cymbals are a little hissy on ACX. Stand up bass is too recessed. Z1R sounds richer and more like a room, less like an old tape recording. Sax is richer on Z1R. Still a nice showing for ACX. Slight win for Z1R.

Aerosmith - Janie's Got a Gun

Z1R renders bass and percussion better. ACX does a nice job on details. Slight win for Z1R.

Nine Inch Nails - Head Like A Hole (remastered)

ACX tuning emphasizes hiss in recording. Trent Reznor vocal stands out nicely, and more than Z1R. Z1R smoother and more impactful overall, much less fatiguing listen. Slight win for Z1R.

U2 - With or Without You

Z1R is smoother listen with deeper bass guitar rendition. ACX emphasizes the Edge's guitar part more and puts Bono more forward in the mix. Both engaging listens. Slight win for ACX.

The Strokes - Selfless

Z1R smoother and darker, ACX a bit crispier and puts vocals slightly more forward. Both very engaging on bass guitar part and overall presentation. Tie.

So all told, 7-2-1 Z1R/Tie/ACX.

I think this is a very good score for a headphone that costs 1/4 of its competition (granting the fact that the original non-Drop Aeon 2 Closed retailed for $800, or half of the Z1R). The ACX is terrific for rock and orchestral, and quite good for EDM and Pop. I like it a little bit less for Jazz and Chamber music - it's not bad by any means, but I think it's a bit too treble forward and bass light for those genres, at least compared to the Z1R. Of course if one had no basis for comparison, one would probably love it for those genres, too.

CONCLUSION

At their current price (keeping in mind they are sold out on Drop until March) they are a superb value, especially if you need a closed-back set of cans for travel or more challenging listening environments. They are easy to drive and come with a carrying case, making for a light commuting package for such high-quality listening. The sound profile is very "audiophile" in terms of detail and tuning, while still having enough bass to be fun for rock and EDM.
So they are pretty close to mdr z1r? That's pretty Incredible. I had thr z1r and sold them because they were giant and impractical and didn't think they were worth the price, but I'm interested in these for 400. Thats so cheap!

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #33 of 109
So they are pretty close to mdr z1r? That's pretty Incredible. I had thr z1r and sold them because they were giant and impractical and didn't think they were worth the price, but I'm interested in these for 400. Thats so cheap!
Like most things, there are diminishing returns. The Z1R is a better headphone pretty much all around. When I have them both in front of me I choose the Z1R every time. But when I'm at work I'm not thinking "I shouldn't listen to this right now, I'll save it for later at home tonight." The Aeon Closed X is really good and very satisfying for the genres I listen to.

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #34 of 109
Have you compared to Cascade? A lot of people loved those but they were not for me. I'm even a basshead, but I thought they were too muddy.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #35 of 109
Have you compared to Cascade? A lot of people loved those but they were not for me. I'm even a basshead, but I thought they were too muddy.
No, I haven't. I tend to buy headphones only for use cases, not for the sheer sake of trying new headphones. So when I bought the HE400SE it was under the (misguided) impression that they could serve as office cans. I learned a valuable lesson there, that open backs are almost never for me. The Z1R and ACX combo pretty much gives me everything I want for all my use cases.

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #36 of 109
Understood. Well, I went ahead and ordered. Between these, Hifiman Xs, and ier z1r, I should be pretty well rounded

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #37 of 109
Would these be a massive improvement over the Meze 99 Classics?

I have them since yesterday but I have mixed feelings about the sound... Also they touch my ears a bit, just a tiny bit but it's annoying. But they are so damn beautiful...

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #38 of 109
Anything is an improvement over those. Thats a hype train headphone for sure.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #41 of 109
Well that didn't take much convincing - I've put them on sale. I just can't live with them, looks aren't enough.

Sadly the Aeon's are back to $479. Does DROP... drop prices like that often?
Pretty sure it was for black Friday / cyber Monday deal?

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #42 of 109
Hi, are these cans good for metal music as well? I've read that they perform well for orchestral and rock already but I would like to be sure about that genre too before I decide to buy these.

Also, I'll drive them with a fiio btr5 for now and in a few months perhaps I'll buy something more powerful like the xduoo xd-05 plus.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #43 of 109
Hi, are these cans good for metal music as well? I've read that they perform well for orchestral and rock already but I would like to be sure about that genre too before I decide to buy these.

Also, I'll drive them with a fiio btr5 for now and in a few months perhaps I'll buy something more powerful like the xduoo xd-05 plus.
They're very good on the heavier Nine Inch Nails stuff in my collection (e.g. Broken).

Dec 23, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #44 of 109
Anyone know how is the isolation on the Aeons vs Beyers? My neighbor's dog is annoying as hell, and I need something that allows to not hear it bark every 45 minutes

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #45 of 109
Anyone know how is the isolation on the Aeons vs Beyers? My neighbor's dog is annoying as hell, and I need something that allows to not hear it bark every 45 minutes
They're not as effective as noise canceling headphones, but the isolation is pretty good. I use them in my office, where they block out an AC vent right by my desk. I can't hear my son's video game (dialogue and sound effects) from 3 feet away, and I tried a video of dog barking sounds from my laptop at 1 foot away, and they reduced it by, say 75%. If the dog is not in your house, I think the Closed X will get rid of most of it if you have music playing (I'm not even listening to anything loud, I am listening to a Mozart flute quartet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back