DROP + DAN CLARK AUDIO AEON CLOSED X HEADPHONES
Feb 25, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #16 of 109
If you mean a smartphone probably not going to work well. These require some power. Maybe not massive power but more than a phone. Someone posted a review of the RT open in the other thread and was driving them with some DAPs but I think you’re going to want a decent amp with these. I had to get my JDS Atom to about 3pm on low gain to get any sort of dynamics.

Thanks. I'm going to try it with decent DAP (which has both a SE and balanced headphone amp built in to test it (waiting for my balanced cable for the AEONs). I've never had headphones with impedence this low, so I'm curious.

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #17 of 109
Thanks. I'm going to try it with decent DAP (which has both a SE and balanced headphone amp built in to test it (waiting for my balanced cable for the AEONs). I've never had headphones with impedence this low, so I'm curious.
Let us know. I have a btr5 here - I’ll give it a run here and see how it sounds.

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #18 of 109
I got mine today and really like them! Great details in the bass, natural mids, snappy highs - reasonable imaging. Not the widest, but still decent. Sounds clean also, remains composed on busy tracks.

it requires more volume than my beyers with 250ohm though. Anyone know a portable dac amp for iphone that will work with these? they need some power...

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #19 of 109
Let us know. I have a btr5 here - I’ll give it a run here and see how it sounds.

I tried these with my Hiby R5 via the single ended output. My balanced cable won't be here for a couple of weeks. In high gain mode, it was able to drive the headphones to good listening levels, and could get them louder than I'd ever need. However, I thought there was a significant downgrade in the sound -- hollow and thin -- compared to my desk setup. Of course, there are a lot of variables here, so I'll do some more listening and update later. But at least in terms of volume, the R5 seemed able to drive them fine.

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #22 of 109
Very interested to read more impressions on the RT/Drop version of the Aeon closed (which seem to be basically the same headphone)!

I've been on the hunt for a good set of closed backs for years and have never found a set that I've been truly happy with. I tried the original Aeon Closed when they came out and found them a bit aneamic and lean, with treble that could get a bit peaky.

For context, the sound signature I usually prefer is relaxed, neutral to warm with rolled off upper treble - I've owned and enjoyed headphones like the Sennheiser HD6XX, Audeze LCD-2 and the Focal Elears. Unfortunately the closest I could get with a similar sound signature in the closed back space was the Fostex TH610 - which I would have happily purchased, if not for the fact that they're actually semi-closed and leak sound, making them unsuitable for use in a quiet office environment.

I've read a few reviews on the Drop page that suggests these now sound warmer with more bass emphasis - so I'm hoping it has moved closer to the sound signature I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #25 of 109
Depends on what you're looking for but yes, overall they're worth $379. Whether or not they're your sound is a different question.
I don't want them to be bassy and I was planning on using them when I travel so if they go easy on rechargable batteries then that would be a big plus.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 109
The sale was too much for me to resist. These will be my first planar and first higher end can since purchasing my MDR-Z1R. I ordered a Fulla amp to use at work but also want to try them from my WM1A Walkman at home. Anyone know of a good, inexpensive 4.4mm Pentaconn cable for this?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 109
mine finally arrived today, i also have a pair of aeon 2 noir closed, so it will be interesting to hear if there is any difference
i have immediately noticed that the drop X ones have much stiffer pads, which i think i prefer, as it feels like they might hold their shape better than the noir
and they drop x comes with an extra set of filter pads, my noir came with 3 sets, the drop x came with 4. two sets of whites (one notch, and two notch) black foam and black felt, while my noir only had the one set of whites

Nov 12, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #28 of 109
mine finally arrived today, i also have a pair of aeon 2 noir closed, so it will be interesting to hear if there is any difference
i have immediately noticed that the drop X ones have much stiffer pads, which i think i prefer, as it feels like they might hold their shape better than the noir
and they drop x comes with an extra set of filter pads, my noir came with 3 sets, the drop x came with 4. two sets of whites (one notch, and two notch) black foam and black felt, while my noir only had the one set of whites
Very interesting that you got the pads. There have been widely differing accounts of what gets packed in. Mine are coming tomorrow - I hope I get the tuning pads as well! I am disappointed that the Closed X do not fold like the Aeon 2 does, but I guess I'll live with it.

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #29 of 109
If you mean a smartphone probably not going to work well. These require some power. Maybe not massive power but more than a phone. Someone posted a review of the RT open in the other thread and was driving them with some DAPs but I think you’re going to want a decent amp with these. I had to get my JDS Atom to about 3pm on low gain to get any sort of dynamics.
Had the Open X and they definitely need a decent amount of power coming into them. I tried running them off of an iPhone and it wasn't great.

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #30 of 109
After having a good look at them, the DCA a2Noir closed and the DCAxDrop aeon closed. they have different drivers,
which honestly should not be new to anyone, the aeon 2 noir says on their site that it was a totally new driver.
the visible layout for the dcaXdrop are vertical while the noir are horizontal
for the sound, so far, the Noir has stronger deeper bass, but really as far as i can tell with my ears they both sound very very close.

DMS did a video on both of these a few days ago and i agree with what he said about these

Attachments

• IMG_1499.JPEG
    IMG_1499.JPEG
    112.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1500.JPEG
    IMG_1500.JPEG
    114.8 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back