Driving with headphones?
May 17, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #16 of 42
I hadn't really considered it until now... but I don't think it would be that bad. Especially on a long trip, driving around town with big cans on would look silly but I can see myself wearing some on a long trip.

For me though, it won't be practical with my current vehicle. I'd have to use IEMs to be able to hear the music, because right now I have a 1988 suzuki samurai, quite possibly the noisiest (on the inside) vehicle ever created. That and it is on 31" super swampers, which are ridiculously loud. 4x4ing is my other passion.

May 17, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I don't think a KSC-75 at low volume would be any more dangerous than a car stereo.

x2... Ive done it before but try not to make it a habbit. cell phone ear pieces are probably just as dangerous.

May 17, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 42
Legality depends on the state or country you're in.

But the law aside, you shouldn't do *anything* that would distract you from driving. I don't want to sound like a driver's ed teacher, but how many people did you know who were killed in car accidents?

Even if it were legal in California, I wouldn't do it. If you've ever had to bury someone due to someone else's lack of attention, you'll understand. If not, that's a lesson you should learn the easy way.

May 17, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #20 of 42
It's illegal in CA to be operating a motor vehicle on public roads with both sides of your ears covered. The reason is for the safety for our law agencies and fire departments when their sirens are going off, you are required to hear them.

Quote:

Can I listen to music through headphones while I ride?
As long as you're not covering both ears with a headset or earplugs, you're okay. You could try to convince the police officer that only one ear was being covered by headphones under your helmet, but good luck. Section 27400 addresses the covering of ears

May 17, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #21 of 42
my OEM radio needed a code b/c the battery died, so i was stuck talking aloud to myself for 8 months.

got an alpine deck, found out while cleaning the car a few months later that the sticker w/ the radio code was on the side of the glove compartment ><

May 17, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #22 of 42
The sound system in my automobile is apparently wired into the fuel injection system.

When the music tempo goes up, so does the vehicle speed.

Slow music; and nobody behind me gets home on time.

Toe tapping is rough on clutch engagement in stop and go driving.

.......the radio/CD remains off when I'm behind the wheel
frown.gif

May 17, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #23 of 42
man,
scary at least to me how many people think it is alright...well, i guess it's time to pick up the hummer h1 for self defense....

May 17, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #24 of 42
It's Illegal in Illinois.

May 17, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #25 of 42
In Washington it is illegal to wear headphones over both ears, it is legal though if you have one ear uncovered/unplugged... I'm not sure how many other states have similar laws...

May 17, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #26 of 42
Please note I used to have a $4000+ stereo system in my car, and I dismantled it and sold it because I decided that a car is no place to listen to music, at least not during my pizza delivery job. And also because of the noise floor and acoustics issues.

However I'll be treking to Bozeman Montana here in a couple weeks and the long stretches of highway are going to get awefully boring. Which is worse...listening to a little music or falling asleep?

May 17, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #27 of 42
Guess it's like everything else: The right thing in the right place.

In town a radio can be a danger(for me)but out on the interstate, it keeps me awake as well.

May 17, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #28 of 42
Only once have I ever driven with headphones on (again the KSC75 with volume low) and that was because I was taking my old car to be scrapped and it didn't have a radio in at that point (having taken it out before I took it in)

Personally I like having some music on in the car but the car is no place at all to be listening critically to what your playing - so for me whatever car audio I have is fine.

.... if I'm a passenger however .....
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT:
However if I am listening to the radio/CD player then I make sure that the volume is low enough that I can still think clearly... and I know exactly where the button is on my Sony CD player that drops the volume straight down to almost nothing (forget at the moment what it's called) and means that no matter what the volume it's 1 quick button press from being low enough that nothing is distracting me.

May 17, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #30 of 42
I walk, ride my bike AND more than often drive my car with my EP-630's...I know it's not exactly smart but what can I say, I guess I'm a bit selfdestructive.

Live fast, die young!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back