Driving HD600 or HD650
Sep 11, 2013 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Aerathion

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, i was wondering what would one need to ''properly'' drive these headphones, i have a xonar phoebus soundcard that says it can drive up to 600 Ohm.

Also is there any headphones that sound better than these that are easier to drive?

Merci.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 11
And is this a fair comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDciSY80cvc

Or is this complete ******** and impossible to compare them like this, or can you actually really tell the difference between these like this.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 11
  And is this a fair comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDciSY80cvc

Or is this complete ******** and impossible to compare them like this, or can you actually really tell the difference between these like this.

Complete doo-doo, friend.

The Phobeus is perfectly capable of driving the HD600/HD650. These are not "the" headphones. They're staples from Sennheiser. But there are many other headphones that are in the same quality league as they are and cost a little less. Whether they sound better is subjective and up to your ears. It's not a universal "this headphone is best."

Also the HD600/HD650 are not difficult to drive at all. They just need a little bit of amplification, but it's overstated that they need tons, they do not.

Options:

AudioTechnica AD900X
Beyer DT880 32ohm
Sony MA900
Hifiman HE-300
Phillips Fidelio X1

Very best,

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 11
They should be ok with your setup, but really not doing them justice. It took a decent valve amp before i could really start to enjoy listening to mine.

Also is there any headphones that sound better than these that are easier to drive?

Yes, Grados.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 11
Better? No. Louder, perhaps. But then there goes your hearing.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess we do share some differences when it comes to SQ and preference 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Thank you for putting it that way, and I'm sure you're right.

My own tastes have moved from the desire for impact to the desire for delicacy over the years, if that is at all helpful context.

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 11
They should be ok with your setup, but really not doing them justice. It took a decent valve amp before i could really start to enjoy listening to mine.

Yes, Grados.

I'm sorry it was so difficult and expensive for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back