Driving across the country!
Feb 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nebby

Headphoneus Supremus
So after some time looking for a job I've been accepted for a position in MD that matches what I'm looking for. I have a car and all my belongings are here in CA so I'll be driving across the country to my new location with my essentials. I'll be shipping the nonessentials since it'll be easy to do so as they're still packed in moving boxes from my separation. My father will be travelling with me to help split the driving duties.

As I haven't done a cross-country drive before, I'd like some input on the planned route which is this so far:
Los Angeles, CA to Baltimore, MD - Google Maps
For this one I've mostly kept to the I-40 as I heard it's the better route to take, though I'm certainly open to suggestions otherwise.

I've been suggested this route to avoid most of the fun weather that's happening: Los Angeles, CA to Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

It does look like a better idea than my original plan.

I've bought snow chains and prepared a simple emergency pack to bring along.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 12
If you're in a car, make sure much of the weight is in the rear seat and not in the trunk. Too much weight way in the back can unbalance the handling, and that can be bad in winter. Keep the heavy stuff on the bottom too, if you can.

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 12
I would suggest a blending of the two.
The second route along I-10 will spend a third of your total miles in Texas; not good for variety and interest. The latter part though goes through some very nice scenery and towns. I would suggest you start on the I-40 seeing Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, etc. and when you get to Memphis, then take a short jaunt on 78 over to Birmingham and follow the second route you have proposed. It's a great chunk of America. I've driven it many times.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 12
I drove from Los Angeles to Miami in 1991 and ...

1. Make sure you leave your route and itinerary with a loved one.
2. Do check w/ the loved one at least every other day (nightly is better).
3. Take your cell phone and make sure you have a car charger for it. Having a 2nd cell phone may come in handy.
4. Take a cooler w/ some essentials like water and power bars (no beer
wink.gif
)
5. Make sure your car is in good running conditions, better yet have it checked and top all fluids, air in the tires, etc. Make sure your spare is in good condition and take at least two flashlights w/ fresh batteries just in case.
6. Don't forget to make sure you have the tools to change a flat. If your wheels have locks don't forget the lock removal tool.
7. Sunglasses are a must have.
8. Take breaks every few hours (2-4?) to get the blood circulating in your legs.
9. Do not forget to bring along any prescription medications (for you and your dad).
10. An small first aid kit w/ things like rolaids, anti diarrhea, aspirins, etc. would be handy.
11. Pay for everything w/ a CC, do not show a wad of bills anywhere.
12. In a safe place carry at least $300-$500 in case of the unthinkable (fine or bail).
13. Become a member of AAA.
14. Bring along the phone numbers of several friends specially if they live close to the route you are taking, you may need their help.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 12
depends on what your goal is. If you just want to get from point A to B without any drama, the interstate is the way to go. Early mornings and short breaks will cut down your travelling time by a lot. If I'm making time, I cut down my gas/washroom breaks to 5-10min. It's far too easy to get lazy and twiddle away 30 minutes each time you stop, and if you stop 6-7 times a day it will add up.

If you want to enjoy the trip, take a route off the interstate once in awhile and enjoy the scenery. Back roads/secondary hwys are much more fun to drive and don't drain you like the superslab does. It's not often someone gets a chance to drive across the country, why not enjoy it and treat it as a vacation?

In terms of supplies, here's what I usually bring. I pack light when I travel by car.

-music
-water jug/tissues/garbage bags
-huge bag of sunflower seeds, helps keep you awake without having to chug caffine
-road maps
-flash light
-cell

I've driven across the country N/S a few times, driven/ridden many 14-16 hour days solo. People often make too much fuss about it, driving on the interstate is pretty safe and drama free. To the point where I don't even pack an emergency kit anymore, just a cell phone and an AAA card.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 12
Bring a variety of snacks. They will really help keep you alert/energized and won't make you have to go to the bathroom like coffee/caffeine stuff will.

Dress in layers and bring warm clothes/blankets just in case.

Check brakes, tires, fluids beforehand. Other than the obvious tire iron and jack, I'd bring some basic tools.

Sunglasses/baseball cap to help with glare and sun.

Car chargers for cell phones, mp3 players, etc.

Laptop with USB cable if your cell phone can tether.

Water.

GPS, probably the most important thing here.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I drove from Los Angeles to Miami in 1991 and ...

1. Make sure you leave your route and itinerary with a loved one.
2. Do check w/ the loved one at least every other day (nightly is better).
3. Take your cell phone and make sure you have a car charger for it. Having a 2nd cell phone may come in handy.
4. Take a cooler w/ some essentials like water and power bars (no beer
wink.gif
)
5. Make sure your car is in good running conditions, better yet have it checked and top all fluids, air in the tires, etc. Make sure your spare is in good condition and take at least two flashlights w/ fresh batteries just in case.
6. Don't forget to make sure you have the tools to change a flat. If your wheels have locks don't forget the lock removal tool.
7. Sunglasses are a must have.
8. Take breaks every few hours (2-4?) to get the blood circulating in your legs.
9. Do not forget to bring along any prescription medications (for you and your dad).
10. An small first aid kit w/ things like rolaids, anti diarrhea, aspirins, etc. would be handy.
11. Pay for everything w/ a CC, do not show a wad of bills anywhere.
12. In a safe place carry at least $300-$500 in case of the unthinkable (fine or bail).
13. Become a member of AAA.
14. Bring along the phone numbers of several friends specially if they live close to the route you are taking, you may need their help.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

x2, do oil change and check up your car. Bring a sleeping bag in case car dies.

I drove from NY to Seattle myself, that was not fun at all.

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 12
If you have a CA license plate on your car, when you reach the OK/AR border, for the first 40 or 50 miles, be sure all of the lights on your car are functioning, use your turn signal when changing lanes, do not tailgate, and drive the speed limit. I live in this area and the local cops are allowed to patrol I40. They just love to pull over west coasters and search their cars.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 12
For variety and interest, stay off the interstates and go through the smaller towns. Stay in local hotels/motels and avoid chain restaurants. You'll get a lot more color and personality!

The two things that put you on the side of the road more than anything else are tires and your cooling system. Make sure your tires are OK and this would be a good time to have your radiator flushed and new radiator hoses installed. Be sure to pack spare radiator hoses and carry enough water and coolant to refill your radiator. Take tools tonreplace them, too.

Pack warm clothes, rain gear, and enough food and water to last a few days if needed. A GPS unit, maps, lighters/matches, maps, rope, and a ceapie prepaid cell phone are good ideas, too. Take some cash, as well.

You might also consider picking up a Technician amateur radio license and a radio. The license is about $10, and you can get a radio for $100-$200. Aside from chatting with people along the way, they're ideal for emergencies. Even a little handheld puts out 5W, while a cell gives you 0.25W. A mobile (car-based) rig can give you 50W-75W of power.

Cell coverage xan be sketchy in parts of the country, but there's almost nowhere that a mobile rig can't reach help. Hams are famous for helping their own and there's usually someone listening. If you get in trouble, other hams will contact help for you. Many of them will personally come out to give you a hand, as well. I never travel any distance without an amateur radio. It's also a good way to find out about good places to eat and stay.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 12
Ooh, cross country trip. Haven't done it in years. Anyway, make sure you get plenty of rest in between driving shifts. Use cruise control if your feet are getting tired from all the pedal action. Rest areas are relatively safe, but I'd look for ones with at least several other motorists if you want to rest for a few hours at night. I'd bring a cooler with ice packs so you can put in fresh fruit, turkey/ham and cheese, bread, beverages, etc. (the non-alcoholic kind of course), so you don't have to eat out as much. Avoid caffeine and salty snacks, and keep plenty of water on hand. Tune into local radio and perhaps an audiobook CD if the music collection becomes monotonous. And of course, take plenty of photographs!

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 12
Forgot to add that if you want advice on where to stay and eat, hit up the local police. Seriously. Wander into the station or grab an officer in a store or when you see one. They *always* know the best places to eat and the motels where they rarely get calls. They also usually enjoy chatting with someone they don't have to arrest or give a ticket to.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Just had the 45k service on the car and the tires changed so everything is set. Lots of good info, I really appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back