Driver gone in old DT-880: replace both?
Jan 28, 2012 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

clorenzo

New Head-Fier
Hi all, first post here. One of the drivers in my DT-880 has developed a rather annoying buzzing with bass-heavy music even at normal listening levels. First I thought hair inside but I've gone as far as I can to clean it and the buzzing is still there. Next step would be actually removing the layer of "tissue" that's glued to the casing, which may or may not allow me to clean inside and I suspect it would be quite difficult to remove without destroying it anyway, so whether it's hair I can't get at or a deformed voice coil, I think it's time to replace the driver.

My question is, given that they are about 7 years old (the ones that came in an aluminium case), should I expect good matching between a brand new driver and the old one, or should I just go ahead and replace both? Any experiences with something like this? I build DIY loudspeakers and I've seen this happen, especially with tweeters: batches of the same driver which are a few years appart very often show significant differences in sensitivity and/or frequency response.

Many thanks in advance,

Carlos

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks drtturnip, that's what I thought. The price of the replacement drivers is quite reasonable so I'd rather get those than try to find a used one from the same year, which I wouldn't know how clean / abused it is anyway. I'll get both and keep the good one I have as an "emergency spare".

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 6
Wait, have you removed the driver from the disc? because you can do that. And people have found hairs that have actually pierced beyer drivers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back