Drive HD600 from Speaker Out?
Jul 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #16 of 31
You wont hurt them as long as the amp isn't ridiculously overpowered or the volume is full blast. I have plenty of experience in this department.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube amps sound nice, but they usually don't have the heft to drive higher impedance cans.

I was under the conception that tube amps had lots of power, and thats why they are preferred for cans like the HD580 and DT880.

On the other hand, they are suppose to be unable (or have a hard time) to supply the current necessary to lower impedance drive cans like the K701.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 31
Oops, I meant Solid State doesn't usually do a good job, but tubes are better for higher impedance. Thanks for catching that as I edited it now. Can't believe I made a slip up that big..

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #19 of 31
Here's a safe way to connect your phones to speaker outputs:

Headphone Adaptor for Power Amplifiers

You may have read about some Head-Fiers who prefer listening to their phones on '70's era classic integrated amps and receivers. Well, this is how the headphone output is configured on many of these classics.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #20 of 31
WilCox, I can't read diagrams so is it better that way?

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #21 of 31
Just tried it.

Zombie_x - you were right. Slight hiss on SennHD650.

It does give a lot of clout and is a tiny bit softer sounding on the headphone out.

Both have a lot of clout on the Denon amp and the difference isn't as large as I thought. The headphone out seems to have a slight softness in comparison to the speaker out, but it does work fine.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #22 of 31
It varies from amp to amp. But it works very nicely if you can't afford a decent headphone amp. And this hiss is from impedance mismatching.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #24 of 31
If you want the hiss to go away, there are filters that could be installed and they are cheaper than you'd think.

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #26 of 31
Probably so QQQ, but it's still far more powerful than most headphones outs on speaker amps.

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #27 of 31
Zombie_X, is there anywhere you know of that I can get hold of an impedance adapter. I tried the 75 ohm Meier audio - they're not enough to take it all away. It reduces but still there so no inky silence!!

The attack and clarity via speaker out is excellent - it's just the hiss.

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WilCox, I can't read diagrams so is it better that way?

Yes it is! You will attenuate the power to a proper level for your headphones thereby getting rid of the hiss.

This is being discussed in the amp forum and Hirsch has posted a visual that may be easier to understand:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/wha...7/#post5818132

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #29 of 31
Cool, I actually bought some impedance mismatch filter thing from MusicDirect that actually got rid of this hiss completely.

Also how do you think the Fisher X-100-B fares as a headphone amp? I have one and I think it's pretty darned good.

Also I just noticed you live in Wisconsin, which part are you from? I'm from Milwaukee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back