Drive By Truckers
Oct 11, 2003 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mojoman

100+ Head-Fier
About a year ago I was at a local audio shop checking out some speakers. It was a slow day and the sales rep and I got to talking about bands we liked. He said his favorite band was the Drive By Truckers. I pretty much forgot about this until I read a review of Decoration Day, the DBT latest cd. I came across it cheap at half.com and decided to try it out. It was a great southern/country roots rock cd so I went out and bought A Southern Rock Opera, their magnum opus based upon coming of age in the South and the recorded works of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Another excellent effort and got me thinking that this band is probably pretty good live.

Well, as luck would have it, they played last night at small bar in Chapel Hill and they were AWESOME. One if the best rock-n-roll shows I've seen in years. With three guitars, a bass and drums they blew the roof off the place, clocking in at just under three hours of non stop rock. Just when you'd think they had reached the peak of the show they'd start another song and take the intensity to another level. A friend summed it up when he said, "I thought I was going to have to go beg them to stop."

The crowd was decidedly college age and we were a bunch of old farts in our 40's and 50's. It was funny, a guy and his girlfriend bought us a beer because they thought it was cool that a couple of people old enough to be their parents would come to hear rock & roll in a bar.

Anyway, if the Drive By Truckers come through your town I highly recommend you check them out and if you're old enough, maybe someone will buy you a beer.

Oct 13, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 13
Humm, What's good for one old fart should be good for another. I will take a look around and see if I can find this band at the local record store.* I still like the southern fried style of rock.

"record store"- Definition (for you youngsters) - same thing as a CD store.

Oct 13, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm an old fart too (the "record store" thing went right by me). I haven't heard any of their studio albums yet but I downloaded a concert (they are a taper friendly band) which was very impressive. Part of what I liked is that they do little or no covers and their own material is very strong.

Hopefully no one reading this thread gets the impression this is an easy-listening band for old geezers, because its definately not.

Oct 13, 2003 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Thump

Hopefully no one reading this thread gets the impression this is an easy-listening band for old geezers, because its definately not.

If anyone has that idea, put it out of your mind. These guys play hard core rock & roll with decidely southern/country flavor. I'd go see 'em again in a heartbeat.

May 4, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 13
My personal gaffe of the last year was missing the Drive By Trucker/ Hold Steady show at 1st Ave. Two amazing live bands in one room. Oh well, I only recently actually picked up something by the DBT - their newer one, Brighter than Creations Dark. Really excellent - the lyrics are dark, poignant, funny, and smart, the musicianship is amazing and the SQ of the recording is gorgeous.
I need to get another - I think this is a pretty mellow, comparatively, album for them and I'll probably get one of the nicely pressed and packaged vinyl releases that New West put out over the past year or so.
Which is the one?! I hear only good about most of their releases in reviews I've looked at. Anyone have a reason why one is their fave?

May 5, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 13
Drive-By-Truckers are the backing band on a new album by Booker T. (of "Booker T & The MG's" fame...) it's called "Donut Hole." Neil Young plays lead guitar on several of the tracks. I heard a couple or three of the tracks and an interview with Booker T. Jones on NPR last week and the album sounded great. Might want to check it out...

May 5, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 13
Hey, no discussion of DBT in this forum!
biggrin.gif

I've had "Southern Rock Opera" for a few years and just love it. I haven't gotten around to picking up the rest of their discs, but I really should. I'd love to see them live, too.

May 5, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 13
They are great live. And Patterson Hood is a very cool dude who will talk to you after the show and be very appreciative of anything you have to say.

As for picking up several of their albums, I have all of them except Gangstabilly, the live one, and A Blessing and a Curse, and they are very hard to distinguish. They are all very solid, but in my mind none stands out over the others. If I were forced to choose, I would say Pizza Deliverance, but mainly because it has "Nine Bullets" on it, which I think is their greatest song:

My roommate's gun got nine bullets in it
Nine bullets in my roommate's gun
My roommate's gun got nine bullets in it
Gonna find a use for every last one

May 5, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 13
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION, BATMAN!

confused_face(1).gif

May 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drive-By-Truckers are the backing band on a new album by Booker T. (of "Booker T & The MG's" fame...) it's called "Donut Hole." Neil Young plays lead guitar on several of the tracks. I heard a couple or three of the tracks and an interview with Booker T. Jones on NPR last week and the album sounded great. Might want to check it out...

It's actually called Potato Hole

Amazon.com: Potato Hole: Booker T.: Music

I own it as well as pretty much everything DBT has out
tongue.gif

May 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyhambone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal gaffe of the last year was missing the Drive By Trucker/ Hold Steady show at 1st Ave. Two amazing live bands in one room. Oh well, I only recently actually picked up something by the DBT - their newer one, Brighter than Creations Dark. Really excellent - the lyrics are dark, poignant, funny, and smart, the musicianship is amazing and the SQ of the recording is gorgeous.
I need to get another - I think this is a pretty mellow, comparatively, album for them and I'll probably get one of the nicely pressed and packaged vinyl releases that New West put out over the past year or so.
Which is the one?! I hear only good about most of their releases in reviews I've looked at. Anyone have a reason why one is their fave?

I'd recommend picking up The Dirty South if you like the more rocking side of the DBT's. I think it's my favorite...

Also, I'm glad to see your on to the vinyl releases. I have all of them and they all sound really great...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back