Dremel. Which, where?
Nov 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pingupenguins

Member of the Trade: BTG Audio / Q Audio
I know a lot of people use dremels for DIY. What is the cheapest Dremel, NOT THE EQUIVALENT, out there? I'd like to use pretty much all the dremel bits out there. I guess im asking for a Dremel that can use all the bits w/o breaking the bank.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 14
How important are ALL of the bits? There is quite a variety as well as some rather esoteric attachments.

I have a 300 series which I consider the sweet spot for price and performance. Comfortable and easy to use as well with adjustable speed. It is compatible with MOST bits. So far, I have not found a bit that I needed it could not handle. I mostly use the cutting wheels, polishing/filing and router-type bits.

I think I paid like $60USD dollars for it with a small selection of starter bits.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 14
Cutting through what material? Aluminum?

That bit will fit all of them. They key difference is the speed. The 100 series is single speed, the 200 has two speeds and the 300 has variable speed. 

What cutting technique are you thinking of using? Different speeds can trade off speed of cut vice ability to control the cut. Softer materials can also be problematic at higher speeds. Especially as heat builds on the piece being cut. For aluminum, I prefer a slower speed to keep the material from potentially fouling up a precision bit. Cutting oil helps as well.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 14
depends on what you want to use it for, grinding away plastic? you need a variable speed dremel with maybe even a voltage reducer due to the low melting point of plastics, drilling, for better control, again, a variable, try and find a used dremel too, that will absolutely help with the budget problem

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 14
Black&Decker RTX. Try it now. You have to use B&D attachments instead of Dremel ones, but all of the Dremel bits and collets/chucks work no problem as far as I know, maybe not the EZ Lock, but I've never bothered to try. Specs say 3 speed, but it is definitely variable with dedicated stops at the three speeds they list. It's on a wheel so spin it to where you want and go.

It's cheaper, quieter, more powerful, just less commercially focused. The motor brushes are a PITA to change if you ever want to do that unlike the easy drop in of a Dremel. Dremels are better for really fine work from what I've seen because their speed control covers a wider span (case work and enlarging holes are not that fine of a job, just requires some patience).

Don't just randomly give up on or hate other brands. Some suck, others outperform. Compare this to an iPod. How many times have you heard someone ask if you have an iPod when referring to any DAP out there. People say Dremel regardless of the rotary tool, but that doesn't mean it's the best in any way, just the most well known and popular. You may prefer an actual Dremel to an alternate rotary tool, but don't bash it until you've tried one.

I've used both a 300 and an RTX. The 300 felt like a tank, but the RTX is more comfortable. The RTX is quieter, the 300 has a much finer speed control. I can compare almost every feature, but I'll stop here and let you consider this option.

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 14
I have the 4000 and quite like it, thou not using it much recently. It has more powerful motor than 300 with feedback, great ergonomics and the 4000-4/65 kit is quite a deal. I also have the 220 drill station which is great for drilling DIY PCBs :) The only fear I have is that some say the 4000's motor is more prone to burning out.

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Black&Decker RTX. Try it now. You have to use B&D attachments instead of Dremel ones, but all of the Dremel bits and collets/chucks work no problem as far as I know, maybe not the EZ Lock, but I've never bothered to try. Specs say 3 speed, but it is definitely variable with dedicated stops at the three speeds they list. It's on a wheel so spin it to where you want and go.
It's cheaper, quieter, more powerful, just less commercially focused. The motor brushes are a PITA to change if you ever want to do that unlike the easy drop in of a Dremel. Dremels are better for really fine work from what I've seen because their speed control covers a wider span (case work and enlarging holes are not that fine of a job, just requires some patience).
Don't just randomly give up on or hate other brands. Some suck, others outperform. Compare this to an iPod. How many times have you heard someone ask if you have an iPod when referring to any DAP out there. People say Dremel regardless of the rotary tool, but that doesn't mean it's the best in any way, just the most well known and popular. You may prefer an actual Dremel to an alternate rotary tool, but don't bash it until you've tried one.
I've used both a 300 and an RTX. The 300 felt like a tank, but the RTX is more comfortable. The RTX is quieter, the 300 has a much finer speed control. I can compare almost every feature, but I'll stop here and let you consider this option.

Seconded. I bought myself a top of the line plug in Dremel. It lasted three uses before the motor burned out, and it looked like sending it in for repair wouldn't fiscally make sense. I replaced it with a B&D RTX, which was much cheaper and I like it a lot better for the reasons mentioned above. I've put tons of hours on it and it doesn't owe me anything at this point. I buy the Dremel branded bits and generic bits, I haven't found one that doesn't fit it yet. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 14
Not a problem with my RTX and I got it (with no really useful attachments) for around $30 so it's not going to break any budget that was aimed at a Dremel. Either pick up a chuck or a collet set (I like the Dremel branded versions of both) and you can use just about anything you'd need as far as bits go.

Amazon sells them for that price right now, and if you find the right store, you can probably get it in store for that price like I did.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
I was worried more about people putting up some crap from harbor freight. Not putting up stuff that is actually decent. I am on a budget but I'd also like it to last.

lol... harbor freight @_@

not everything that is nameless is bad though, although you've really got to sift through the reviews and stay away from the ones that don't have any reputation. most stuff is manufactured in china these days and most are rebranded OEM products, if you can find the factory/oem maker, you can often find the product at lower prices (headfi related, the brainwavz b2 is the same thing as the dba-02 but for $30 less and consistently in stock)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back