Dream amp?
Nov 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #16 of 22
Now that I look over my list again, the only thing missing from the 2/3move that's on my list is really the optical input/DAC quality...

Intriguing.

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dream amp?
A cable which can "magically" adjust gain to power any headphones.

this one is interesting hey rink??
L3000.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #18 of 22
- Small (iBasso T2 sized)
- Tone controls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (at least three bands)
- Crossfeed
- LI battery with long life
- push button volume control

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #19 of 22
It may not be perfect, but it is dreamy: I have a prototype AMB gamma-1 DAC velcro-strapped to my Mini^3. In my quest for a laptopless-portable system that can power my HD650s, I have a rockboxed iRiver H120 with lossless tracks feeding the gamma-1 DAC with an optical cable. The Mini^3 has a built-in battery and drives my Senns just fine.

The element I've been messing with is the power for the DAC, but I'm close:
I've driven it in the car with a cig-adapter with a USB tip (you can use USB to power the gamma-1 whilst using the optical in for data). This turned out to be a remarkably hazardous way to drive, so I had to give that up.

I purchased a neat tiny 5V voltage regulator from partsconnexion.com and have successfully powered the rig from a 9V battery. Now I'm exploring what's reasonable in rechargable batteries to pick a solution to stick with, but at this point, I think the proof of concept is achieved.

I'd say the weak link is the iRiver's optical data out: In theory it should be identical to my Mac's optical out with lossless tunes but doesn't sound like it. Next step there is to experiment with other audio formats (I used the Apple lossless tracks I had on hand for convenience) and update my rockbox firmware.

It's a pretty luggable package, whose overall dimensions is dictated by the headphones....

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #20 of 22
wow you've got one of the Y1's how is it?? really keen on one of them as soon as the general release happens. have you pushed it to its maximum yet :ie. have you got a source that can output 24/192?? and lastly; was it a hard build??

yes rink if you can include a dac as advanced as the gamma1 then you have a dream solution

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #21 of 22
The Y1 is still breaking in, but certainly does not disappoint. Extremely detailed and wonderful separation of instruments right off the bat.

Velcroed to a Mini^3 the combined unit makes a handy brick that stands on any side.

I do not have a 24/192 source but hope soon to feed it 24/96 samples from HD Tracks / Mac optical out. I did not find it hard to build at all -- probably a bit easier than the Mini^3. I figure if I can build something most anyone else can, given my increasing presbyopia and background as a writer, not an engineer...

All that said, I do not mean to hijack this into a Y1 thread -- it's the portable form factor and the power challenges for a high-end audio package I'm pursuing...

One battery issue is I gather than some Lithium battery packs may not be approved for air transport.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by royewest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One battery issue is I gather than some Lithium battery packs may not be approved for air transport.

These links are some informative sources:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitiz...ithiumspec.pdf
Lithium Battery Fire Could Burn Through a Cargo Hold | Air Safety Week | Find Articles at BNET
http://www.espi-metals.com/tech/handlinglithium.pdf
http://www.mobilit.fgov.be/data/aero/FAALiBaFiRe.pdf
http://www.fmclithium.com/Portals/FM...ds/MSDS151.pdf
Lithium Polymer & Lithium Ion batteries are quite safe when kept within specifications. The FAA is only concerned about a large BULK shipment of lithium batteries being involved in a cargo fire, (like pallets of hundreds of batteries). You do not fall into this category, so your not going to get arrested by airport officials unless your prototype looks like an I.E.D. When you over charge, excessively overheat, sometimes by puncture, can cause a battery pack fire, but typical failure is usually not as catastrophic.
Electronics designers are aware of such hazards and build in safety measures to protect against the auto ignition of lithium based batteries (179C).
If your intent is to integrate a Li-po or Li-Ion pack into your headphone amp, do take such precautions to prevent those hazards by using the correct charger, not discharging the pack beyond the discharge rate (usually 15-20x the capacity of the pack; "15C", "20C") spec'd by the manufacturer of the pack, and also the precautions to keep the pack from overheating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back