Drastic sound quality improvement: "Rewrite data" - audiophile software from Japan
Feb 14, 2015 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

MINORISUKE

100+ Head-Fier
I posted the captioned software to JPLAY forum at the end of December and would like to share it here as well.  The author is the same person who makes "Bug Head Emperor".
http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/drastic-sound-quality-improvement-rewrite-data-1.0/

Download: http://1drv.ms/1nBAKyD
Rewrite data 1.19 (as of today) for Win7/8.1 64-bit

The program makes a bit-perfect copy of the original, checks the bit-perfectness, and overwrites the original, retaining its file properties.  If you open Explorer during the process, you see a temporary file whose name consists of digits.
The target files must be on a Win7/8.1 PC.  Applying to a network drive makes no sense.  Copying the processed files as well as moving them to a different drive loses the effect.
It is also effective to a USB memory and an SD card, which can be plugged out and be inserted into other pieces of equipment such as an SD card transport.
The effect vanishes gradually and the program should be applied again.
Please enjoy.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 34
A few questions

1. "Check the bit-perfectness"

How can it do this, does it compare the file against a "master" rip? do you mean it's just checking the files for corruption? if the file is corrupt what does it do, just writes the same corrupt file out again?

2. "Copying the processed files as well as moving them to a different drive loses the effect." and "The effect vanishes gradually and the program should be applied again."

So basically it doesn't do anything to the file since data on a hard drive doesn't degrade over time. Yes data may become corrupt because of a failing hard drive or PC components but data especially audio data doesn't magically become worse because it has been sitting on a hard drive for weeks, months or years.

Just to be sure i have run this on a few files, no change in checksum, no change in audio output at all.

This program is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, thank god that this program isn't being charged for.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 34
As I posted in JPLAY forum, the initial reaction was the same.  You see many posts there.
Try to play the processed file and listen, and you will see whether this program does something or not.  As I am not the author, I should not give my personal interpretation.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 34
I have played the file, no difference.

The checksum of the file is exactly the same as the original so there can't be a difference in audio

Original

D:\Music\A\A Perfect Circle\2000 - Mer De Noms\04. Judith.flac
32076945 bytes
SHA1: 367c3b682d50c16a81aea46b25294832425a8194

Rewrite data version
P:\Rewrite data\04. Judith.flac
32076945 bytes
SHA1: 367c3b682d50c16a81aea46b25294832425a8194

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 34
I don't think there should be any improvement in memory playback, you have to copy the music from the HD to RAM anyhow. Any modern hard drive should easily keep up with audio playback. The only real exceptions would be if the disk was heavily fragmented and using a audio player that has the output buffer set stupidly low or you were doing some HD benchmark on the disk while playing music. If you have your music on a SSD then you should fine no matter what.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 34
The author suggest that it would be the easiest for convincing skeptical users to apply this program to the graphics driver.
(1) Copy the graphics driver installer (*****.exe) for your graphics card in "Downloads".
  For example, "347.09-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe" for NVIDA.
(2) Start "Rewrite data", press [Shift+v] followed by [Shift+c], and press [Start].
(3) Execute the graphics driver installer.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 34
If the checksum is not changing on the file then there CAN NOT be any audible change coming from the file. if there is a single bit change in the file the the checksum will show this, Flac will also report corruption in the file if it occurs in the audio stream.

In the manual, Mr. Yokota mentions that the effect is maximum just after this program has been applied, and becomes weaker as time goes by.
This comment alone should have alarm bells ringing. we are using a digital format, 1's and 0's. it doesn't do this, 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 34
So, JPlay found this forum now 
tongue_smile.gif

Some comments from HA forums - http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=92856&hl=jplay

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 34
You may as well defrag your HD. It would have the same effect I reckon, if my understanding of what it does is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back