DragonFly Red or Fulla 2?
Dec 28, 2016 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

newjetplanes

New Head-Fier
I know the Fulla 2 is relatively new, but curious if anyone has heard the two and can offer any suggestions on which to go with.

I'm looking for something small and portable to use with my Chromebook and work laptop which both have pretty terrible sounding headphone outs. Generally just using NightHawks at home and Momentum on-ears at work - so a ton of power isn't necessary.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 18
  Thanks. After seeing the form factor on the Fulla, I think I'm going to go with the DFR, seems like the better truly portable option.

I totally get it - I'm using the Fulla2 on my desktop.  But the solid feel of the volume knob is the absolute best.  If you're truly portable only, then I wouldn't want to lug around the Fulla2.  But if you were mostly desktop bound, for form factor I'd definitely go Schiity.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 18
The Fulla 1 is on sale right now.
They couldn't sell it because so many people were making very similar products, like the dragonfly.

It's about the same size as the DF and has a volume knob, you just need a short cable for it to plug in to your computer

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 18
I would definitely say that the 2 is far smoother in the mids than the 1; I got the chance to play both side by side for a week. I prefer it, but marginally given my headphones which are good but not great. It definitely feels like it has more power, especially when I run off of dual USB power. But I won't lie... I love the form factor and that has a bit to do with it.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #12 of 18
There's really no reason for you to upgrade. The difference from Fulla 1 to 2 is small. The main reason why the Fulla 2 is superior is because it has more power and different sort of outputs as a variable preamp or line-out DAC.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #13 of 18
  There's really no reason for you to upgrade. The difference from Fulla 1 to 2 is small. The main reason why the Fulla 2 is superior is because it has more power and different sort of outputs as a variable preamp or line-out DAC.

It all depends on what you mean; for me, the power difference has felt substantial for my particular setup (at a minimum I feel great turning my volume up way less knowing that there's far more headroom and hence less distortion, though I do believe there's some sonic improvement there for the more power and better DAC), and the form factor is phenomenally different.  I thought about returning the Fulla 1, which I had just purchased from Amazon and was within the return window, but I ended up keeping the 1 for my home computer which i listen to far less than my work computer.  Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.  I love the 2 way more than I loved the 1.  But it's not all SQ.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 18
I have both units. I am using Grado RS2e, Grado SR60e, Hifiman 400S, and a few other cans. I have to say that you have to A/B the differences to hear them but for me the level of detail in the Fulla 2 wins the day. Still going to use my Dragonfly Red for daily travel. They are pretty close, but when you compare both side by side the Fulla DAC seems to "compartmentalize" each element of the music.....making it clearer and more defined. The sound field is a bit wider as well....,especially on the Grados. Eventually, I want to get the Modi 2 Multibit and the Magni 2. Should be an amazing combo $350.00. I know they make considerably more expensive equipment but I think the return for the dollars invested will be slight percentages, not crazy night and day differences. If you want an inexpensive DAC/AMP combo that gives insane value for the dollars spent the Fulla 2 is pretty hard to beat and cheap enough to take a smart chance on.

Nov 29, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 18
I know the Fulla 2 is relatively new, but curious if anyone has heard the two and can offer any suggestions on which to go with.

I'm looking for something small and portable to use with my Chromebook and work laptop which both have pretty terrible sounding headphone outs. Generally just using NightHawks at home and Momentum on-ears at work - so a ton of power isn't necessary.

So, this thread is a year old but the question remains unanswered. For laptop or desktop use only, and sound quality being the only criteria, with decent $150 headphones, is the Fulla 2 the better option over the Dragonfly Red? The latter being the only one to support MQA...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back