Dragonfly Cobalt is definitely not worth it's Price Tag
Nov 11, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #61 of 63
I don't even have somewhere to plug this in other than rear io on my desktop. Should I get it vs THX 887? And just run a hella long wire or put my chin on top of my monitor to listen? What is this for?
That’s what it is for, to get better sound out of a laptop, or a desktop. Funny your the only the 2nd person I’ve come in contact with (at Head-Fi) that has the Onkyo A9010. I have that too!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/onkyo-a-9010-integrated-stereo-amplifier.20891/#timages

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #62 of 63
That’s what it is for, to get better sound out of a laptop, or a desktop. Funny your the only the 2nd person I’ve come in contact with (at Head-Fi) that has the Onkyo A9010. I have that too!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/onkyo-a-9010-integrated-stereo-amplifier.20891/#timages
The Onkyo is great. I might eventually list it in favor of a reciever for 11.2 atmos if I ever get around to that project. Got JBL 230 now love the 3.5mm input for streaming off ipod when neccesary. Sleeping off portland potato vodka during a blizzard all doors windows open zepplin live album on repeat full blast just a nice sounding amplifier no neighbors complained. That potato vodka makes you overheat. Yeah probably not gonna ever sell that thing on second thought.

Jun 30, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #63 of 63
My setup for the DF Cobalt -

I was running on Win8.1 for a while, and remember selecting 'full range in audio settings' to get the Cobalt to work in better light, and def. if you can help it, get a hardware pre-amp or hardware mixer of some kind to control the volume and delicate sound settings.
The DF Cobalt for computer audio is not a one size fits all, it requires an assortment of configurations hardware to get the desired sound, similar to many other aspects of audio technology or other related fields.

On Win10 when you plug it in, you have to move the stupid audio slider on the task bar left and right (extreme caution: MAY GET VERY LOUD TO EARS)

OS version: Win10 Pro x64 22H2

Control Panel > Sound > Playback tab > Speakers (AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt v1.0 Default Device > Configure > Speaker Setup > Next > Select full-range speakers > "Front left and right" (select check box) > Next > "Finish"

Adjust volume on taskbar with music playing, move it left and right back to 100%

Current Configuration:
>laptop > usb filter > usb audio > 3.5mm to 1/4 plugs > mixer > 1/4 plugs to 3.5mm > 2.1 speaker setup

Laptop: ThinkPad T420s > PC volume: Max @100%
Audio card: DF-Cobalt on Jitterbug USB (on USB 3.0 slot)
Hardware Interconnect Pre-Amp Mixer: ZMX122FX

ZMX Mixer volume: 25% premix / 25% main mix
>treble: -10% / midrange: -25% / bass: +0% (adjustments from 12 o'clock knobs facing north)
Premix gain: (-20db lowest/+20db highest) @ 6db
Specialized or Customized 3rd party Windows audio drivers or apps: None
Speaker Setup: Edifier 2.1 speakers - wired subwoofer

--

Other thoughts -
Audio is fine, but for some video content?
If I'm watching downloaded films, and the audio is too low, I usually run it in on VLC and manually adjust the volume on the software player to 150% mode.

THX Onyx is nice, eliminates need for extra hardware, but I like DF Cobalt better than DF Red and Onyx.

There isn't truly a "better than" versus reviewing the hardware/software needs for people.
Price is just what you pay, value is what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back