Dr.Xin's SM3 or SM4
Apr 4, 2009 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

htotsuka

100+ Head-Fier
Which amp do you recommend?
I would like to best Dr.Xin's amp.
In japanese review, Sound by SM3 is better than that by SM4.
If so, I would like to look for SM3, and buy SM3.

If you review SM3 and SM4, Please teach me the difference between SM3 and SM4.

But, majar problem is various version in SM3
confused.gif

I know the difference SM3(with 4 switches) and SM4 High-C mode.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 19
its my understanding that the xin reference is superior to the SM. you are aware of the current 18 month wait arent you??

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 19
Yes, I think he is aware of it.

The SM3 done right is excellent and I agree. At this point the 3 is better. Now the newest version will be anyone's guess. As to wait . . . well I have no answer . . .

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 19
Thank you.

Quote:

its my understanding that the xin reference is superior to the SM. you are aware of the current 18 month wait arent you??

I am very interesting in reference too.

Quote:

The SM3 done right is excellent and I agree. At this point the 3 is better.

I want to get SM3, but now I sadly understand that I can not do.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

18 months???? You must have been on a long holiday! I think it's more in the realm of 11 years now!!! (And I really like Xin. Have four of his amps....before the drought....!)

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

I think it's more in the realm of 11 years now!!!

If your mention is true, I must wait to get SM4 after 11 years???

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by htotsuka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your mention is true, I must wait to get SM4 after 11 years???

I was teasing! Sorry. If you read the thread on here about the time everyone has had to wait, 18 months, as Qusp mentioned below, is probably right.

Don't listen to me!! I apologise if I caused you worry.

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 19
Thank you.

I take heart in the fact that waiting time is 18 months.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
18 months???? You must have been on a long holiday! I think it's more in the realm of 11 years now!!! (And I really like Xin. Have four of his amps....before the drought....!)

LOL LOL yes perhaps I was a little generous to the good DR; there are some people that are over 2 years and counting. there is no defined wait for a XIN amp and who knopws whether he will just disappear altogether into his vortex.
Quote:

Originally Posted by htotsuka
Thank you.

I take heart in the fact that waiting time is 18 months.

do not take that number as being a meaningful amount of time; just seems to be about average, but there are many people that have waited longer, some who have just given up and some who have received it sooner (a rarity). if you do order; I suggest you make sure you do so with paypal instead of credit card, so you can at least file a dispute. and once you order, do not under any circumstances mark the delivery date down in your diary. there are no guarantees that you will receive one at any specific time. I suggest you just forget about it and when it turns up it will be a pleasant surprise.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 19
Dear qusp

Thank you for good advice.

I will wait that a luck visits to me.

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 19
WOW - is Dr. Xin still alive??? I ordered a XIN Reference back in August 2007 - havn't seen anything yet...

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

I thought I read somewhere on here that the good Dr. has a new amp in the works. Can anyone verify this? Thanks

If Dr.Xin will produce a new amp, it is good news.
If so, I can wait for a long time.
Thank you for giving good information.

Quote:

WOW - is Dr. Xin still alive??? I ordered a XIN Reference back in August 2007 - havn't seen anything yet...

Is it really???
If it is true, I can not listen to great sound by Dr.Xin's amp.
I am very sad.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 19
I haven't heard any credible reportage, during 2009, of any additional amplifier or other product. He had been intending to do 5 versions of his Reference amp and has "finalized" doing 3 versions of it (listening to my v.B5 Reference w/dual in's and outs as I type - using vintage Grado RS-1/flats - Ella Fitzgerald is singing right now).
While Xin had been to urged to work on some proposed products - between his more professional wage-earning activities, and a desire to fulfill existing orders for his current amps - it would be untenable for him to embark on additional projects. Remember, while some others do not handbuild the amps themselves - each Xin amp is the product of his personal labor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back