Dr. Says Don't USE IEMs for a While
Jun 9, 2008 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

dharel

New Head-Fier
My Dr. told me to stop using my IEMs for a while. He said that while not infected, my ears were pretty irritated and this could lead to infection. I am a little upset because I just bought my Sleek SA6s not too long ago and love them. Plus, I keep them extremely clean and baby all my gear.

So, the question is what to do? I would like to get a pair of inexpensive ($150 max) headphones and I am considering a pair of Grado SR80s to use unamped with my Zune 80. How portable are the SR80s? I will carry them in my briefcase and will listen to them on my hour long train ride to and from work. I listen to a little bit of everything so I am open to all suggestions.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 43
Maybe you should buy some lubricant so you can apply it to the tips before you stick them in. Common (and cheap) practice is to wet them with (your) saliva.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 43
the sr80s are not good portable. they are open, and so let in sooo much noise. look for some some closed cans, there are plenty of threads around here for closed/portable cans in your price range.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should buy some lubricant so you can apply it to the tips before you stick them in. Common (and cheap) practice is to wet them with (your) saliva.

ew..
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that's just gross >.<
what'll that lady across the street say when she sees you licking your earphone tips and stuffing them in your ears?
wink.gif

ps. if he hasn't got an infection now, pretty sure he's gonna get one soon following that advice ^^

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 43
*sigh* you guys are so immature.
wink.gif

Haha I kid I kid, but I do recall vividly that one time, this semi-new member was saying how great KY lubricant was for his ears, and everybody was all "uhhh..."

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Dr. told me to stop using my IEMs for a while. He said that while not infected, my ears were pretty irritated and this could lead to infection. I am a little upset because I just bought my Sleek SA6s not too long ago and love them. Plus, I keep them extremely clean and baby all my gear.

So, the question is what to do? I would like to get a pair of inexpensive ($150 max) headphones and I am considering a pair of Grado SR80s to use unamped with my Zune 80. How portable are the SR80s? I will carry them in my briefcase and will listen to them on my hour long train ride to and from work. I listen to a little bit of everything so I am open to all suggestions.

how long is awhile? perhaps you should stay off them for abit and then change to tips that don't have to sit so deep in your ears? personally i wouldn't buy a pair of headphones just to tide me over a short period where i can't listen to my IEMs, unless your loaded
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 43
It is kind of a strange advise to my ears, I mainly use my IEM to protect my hearing at work and the only difference to them and my earplugs are the drivers, in my buisiness everybody uses earplugs 8 hours a day and I have never heard about problems, regarding to infections and so on....

Licking the tips is downright stupid, your saliva contains so many different microorganisms and they really do not belong in your ears (have been doing that myself, but not any more)..
And I also remember the KY story, even tried it, but it leaves to much residue in the ears when it dry up..

Mine are a custom tip made of silikone and I boil them once a week to keep them a little bit cleaner (at least they are sanitary every monday.....)

Maybe the irritation comes from an allergenig reaction ??

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Licking the tips is downright stupid, your saliva contains so many different microorganisms and they really do not belong in your ears (have been doing that myself, but not any more)..

Maybe the irritation comes from an allergenig reaction ??

Or you'll end up like the guy in Claus-DK's avatar
eek.gif

I also think the irritation comes from the allergic reaction. I'm about to sell off my Atrios since they're giving me a serious itch (though I guess it should be fine as long as you don't wiggle them about or constantly take them in and out to hear things)

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 43
Get d1000 or ES7's for portable phones. You will get near the same detail level with the ES7's and they might suite your tastes better if you enjoy the SA6.

Both are closed and designed for portable use.

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 43
well, have you had IEM's before?

you may be allergic to silicone?

try the foam pads for a bit?

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the sr80s are not good portable. they are open, and so let in sooo much noise. look for some some closed cans, there are plenty of threads around here for closed/portable cans in your price range.

second that, the headbands tend to get bent easily, and the black plastic squares with "R" and "L" will start to fall off the headband if you carry them around in luggage.

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 43
I've been using different IEMs for quite some time, upgrading as time went by. I have Shure SE210s also, but hate the fit even with the olives. I guess my ears have just gotten to be a bit sensitive. I never force my iems into my ear. The sleek SA6 standard tips are quite comfortable and don't require me to insert them very far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihility /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, have you had IEM's before?

you may be allergic to silicone?

try the foam pads for a bit?

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 43
You could just buy something cheaper to tide you over, such as the Porta-Pros, or iGrados. Unless you really want a nice pair of portable cans, not just to use because you can't/shouldn't use the IEMs. In that case, I second with Germainia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back