Dr.Meier's Cross-1 discussion.
May 8, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #316 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by sphinxllama
@Ballooshi

Thanks a lot for your tireles help till the end.

It runs now for only 20 minutes but my impression is that it works and it works really great. All the work was worth it!!! I am really impresed by this little box how it can rock my headphone.

580smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
(I think this is the best explanation!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I can post some pics later if you want me too.

And thanks again!!!

Are you using a dedicated headphone amplifier? If you aren't, I would suggest that for your next project. Then you'll really experience "rocking" your headphones, more so than the Cross-1, which is just a passive device. Let me change that... an IMPRESSIVE passive device.

The thing I like best about the Cross-1 is that it sounds more natural to me, like listening to speakers but with much more clarity and detail because of the phones. My ears and brain don't get as "tired" listening through phones with the Cross-1.

But if you aren't listening to your phones with a dedicated headphone amp, do yourself a favor and build one next. It will make a huge difference.

Enjoy!
580smile.gif

May 8, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #318 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
Ahh I'm so jealous, a lot of parts from Mouser are on backorder till around June.

What parts are you having trouble with? I think you can put a complete BOM together, with a little subbing.

May 8, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #319 of 334
As an HeadAmp I use a modded B-Tech 928 and headphones are DT880 from Beyerdynamics. To me its a real good combo!

Maybe my next project is a better headamp but I have to search for a good an cheap one!

OK I put them on again
580smile.gif

May 9, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #320 of 334
Quote:

As an HeadAmp I use a modded B-Tech 928 and headphones are DT880 from Beyerdynamics. To me its a real good combo!

Maybe my next project is a better headamp but I have to search for a good an cheap one!

OK I put them on again
580smile.gif

That combo might be real nice, depending on the mods (caps, op-amp, resistors) made to the amp. Did you do the mods yourself?

PinkFloyd modded a BTech 928 with impressive results, as noted here on his rock-grotto website.

I have a pair of Beyer DT-990s, the old 600 ohm version which I really like. Haven't listened to the DT-880s, but have read nothing but great things about them. My only amp thus far is a CMoy... it drives my phones OK, but could be better. I can't wait to finish my Corda HA-1 (thanks again Jan!), which should do a better job than the CMoy.

May 9, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #321 of 334
@Ballooshi:

Hi,

yes I used the page you posted for the mod and a german forum! Used Panasonic FCs and 1%Resistors.

I think I have to change the cables from my cross-1. Used much to thick cables with 1mm diameter audio cable. Now there are to many wires and I cant close the box!
rolleyes.gif

How thick are your cables?

P.S. I have to correct my first impression. After a couple of listening-hours I came to the conclusen that the diffenents is not that big when switching between the ON-Crossfeed and OFF-Crossfeed but while listening for a few minutes in the ON-Mode the differents is that the sound doesnt come directly from one side, it comes from the front... easy listening. But I can^t tell the difference directly after switching from one mode in the other.

What is your impression???

May 10, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #322 of 334
Quote:

@Ballooshi:

Hi,

yes I used the page you posted for the mod and a german forum! Used Panasonic FCs and 1%Resistors.

I think I have to change the cables from my cross-1. Used much to thick cables with 1mm diameter audio cable. Now there are to many wires and I cant close the box!
rolleyes.gif

How thick are your cables?

P.S. I have to correct my first impression. After a couple of listening-hours I came to the conclusen that the diffenents is not that big when switching between the ON-Crossfeed and OFF-Crossfeed but while listening for a few minutes in the ON-Mode the differents is that the sound doesnt come directly from one side, it comes from the front... easy listening. But I can^t tell the difference directly after switching from one mode in the other.

What is your impression???

I think I used 22 gauge hookup wire, which still takes up quite a bit of space in the enclosure.

You should usually always be able to detect some difference between regular (off) and crossfeed (on). Depending on the source recording, the crossfeed effect can be very slight, or very significant. On some (mostly older) recordings with a lot of channel separation, the difference is significant. On others, you hardly notice any difference at all.

I will say though, no matter what I'm listening to, I find that the crossfeed makes it easier on the ears / brain when I listen with phones.
580smile.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #323 of 334
Any idea when these stupid lorlin shorting switches for the center position will be available from Mouser or any other source, we aresick of waiting, oh man!!!!???

Jun 4, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #324 of 334
My latest estimate from Mouser was:
Code:

Code:
[left]10WA347 RTRY 4POL 3POS PCB 2 Lorlin Nylon Rotary Switches This product is expected to be in stock by 05-26-06.[/left]

But it's been well past May 26th. If I'm not mistaken, the crossfeed should still work without the middle switch

Jun 4, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #325 of 334
Quote:

My latest estimate from Mouser was:
Code:

Code:
[left]10WA347 RTRY 4POL 3POS PCB 2 Lorlin Nylon Rotary Switches This product is expected to be in stock by 05-26-06.[/left]

But it's been well past May 26th. If I'm not mistaken, the crossfeed should still work without the middle switch

That's what I got in an email a few weeks prior to that date. Now they don't even show a date...

Jun 4, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #326 of 334
Quote:

The middle switch will select the level of crossfeed you need, I don't think that it will work without it, unless you place some jumpers on these tabs...

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #327 of 334
If anyone wants the case, panels, and board I am willing to sell mine at what it cost me. I would put this in the FS forum, but I want to offer it to someone who didn't get the boards first. PM me if you want it.

-Alex-

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #328 of 334
Great news from the local electronics shop... they carry the 3pos 4pole Lorlin switch!
They have a few in stock right now, so if anyone desparately needs one PM me.

Edit: I didn't stop to see if there was both the non-shorting and shorting version, but I think there was

Edit #2: Also not sure if there's more PCB mount type switches.

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #329 of 334
I called Mouser a couple of days ago to cancel my order for the backorder switches and go with the others, but the rep told me that they will ship out tomorrow. She even confirmed that they were on the manifest of a shipment that left the distributer June 9th. I guess that I should see them sometime in the middle of next week.

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #330 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord.hypnos
I called Mouser a couple of days ago to cancel my order for the backorder switches and go with the others, but the rep told me that they will ship out tomorrow. She even confirmed that they were on the manifest of a shipment that left the distributer June 9th. I guess that I should see them sometime in the middle of next week.

Thanks for the update, Matt. I have 2 switches held hostage too.

Now we have to work on the Amveco transformer problem
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back