Dr. dre beats need help for some advice
Sep 23, 2009 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

supracrazy_tommy

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I know these are not liked because of the heavy price tag on them. But I have a friend that can hook me up with one for like around $150. I just want to know are they worth it? I know for sure I would not consider them at the $300 price tag, but for $150 is the SQ good enough for that ? Are there better ones that I can get for that price tag and even better SQ ? These headphones appeal to me by looks. I feel like I can wear these around without worried about how goofy I look with headphones on. But SQ is also important to me. I listen to more bass heavy music like hip/hop and r&b. Please help me with some advice.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 34
I have to be honest: they probably aren't the most technically accurate headphones in the price range (the ~$150 price range, let alone the ~$300 range where they normally sit), but it sounds like they should suit your purposes pretty well -- people seem to think they're pretty hot for hip-hop and the like. Whether they're worth $150, I really couldn't say, as I've never tried them. But give them a try, it can't hurt (assuming you can return them if you aren't satisfied).

And then run far, far away from Head-Fi, for your wallet's sake!
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by supracrazy_tommy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to more bass heavy music like hip/hop and r&b. Please help me with some advice.

Take a listen to the XB500/700 in the Sony store, plenty of bass which can greatly improve with mods and EQ. $50 if you buy from Amazon

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 34
I to have a similar situation. However I'll get them at an even lower price. That being said I don't know if can get away with a better deal on that certain headphone. And my choices on better than normal headphones with such deals are rather limited. My other choices would be few Sony, KOSS, DENON, Sennheiser, Bose, and maybe AKG. but the real high end phones like sennheiser HD 600, HD 650, DENON ADHD-2000 and up, and any AKGs higher than the K272HD (Maybe) won't happen. So if someone can suggest something better then the Beats for under $130 I'll have open ears!

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 34
I've heard the XB500 and they can't compare to the Beats. At $150 you can get the DT770/80 and they sound a lot better then the Beat. I too contemplated on getting the Beats when I got a deal for $200 but went with the DT770/80. And I pretty much listen to every genre but mostly hip hop as well, and having been able to compare the Beats and the DT770/80, the DT770/80 are better overall headphones by far.

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcnoj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the XB500 and they can't compare to the Beats.

Are you kidding me? The beats can't touch the XB for sound quality; while the beats output a monotone mid-bass the XB500 provides a deep (Deeper than DT770) hard hitting low frequency that with sufficient amping and EQ doesn't splosh over into the rest of the sound. The beats are 20Hz to 20kHz while the XB500 are 4Hz to 24000Hz, simply no comparison... and to say they don't compare you're either guessing or comparing one amped headphone to one unamped.

...and welcome to Head-fi.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you kidding me? The beats can't touch the XB for sound quality; while the beats output a monotone mid-bass the XB500 provides a deep (Deeper than DT770) hard hitting low frequency that with sufficient amping and EQ doesn't splosh over into the rest of the sound. The beats are 20Hz to 20kHz while the XB500 are 4Hz to 24000Hz, simply no comparison... and to say they don't compare you're either guessing or comparing one amped headphone to one unamped.

...and welcome to Head-fi.
regular_smile .gif

It may have been the source because I sampled them at BestBuy and the low frequencies in general were non-existent (which I found very odd for headphones advertising an emphasis on bass).

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 34
IIRC, beats have a built in amp which works as a bass booster, which might be why you think the bass is better, when in reality its just louder.

i would recommend dt770 80ohms over the beats at $150, simply due to build quality and the fact that beats will eat up batteries (really annoying IMO).

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 34
actually I bought the xb500s before, and I actually really like the bass in them, but they look really ugly to me, and I just can't be seen walking around with those. The Dr. dre beats I might be able to slide through haha I mean the xb500s are like earmuffs. The DT770s, as in the beyerdynamic dt770s ? Where can I get those for $150, I looked on amazon and they are at least $250. Technically my friend said I can get the dr. dre beats for $126, but with the shipping I overestimated to like $150 just to be safe. Wow I thought the beats would suprass the xb500s, man those guys at best buy don't know a thing about audio sound haha.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by supracrazy_tommy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but for $150 is the SQ good enough for that ?

No.

The entire point of the Beats is thumping bloat.

You mostly get bloat and the rest of the music isn't much there.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 34
How about some M-Audio Q40? Definitely no shortage of bass and they look much better than the Beats.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.

The entire point of the Beats is thumping bloat.

You mostly get bloat and the rest of the music isn't much there.

Very true, I also distinctly remember the mids getting cancelled out as soon as the lows kicked in. And it definitely wasn't subtle.

Keep in mind I favor Hip Hop over the other genres.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 34
The thing is, though, with hiphop, bass is important, but so is vocals. Unless you're one of those guys that cranks the sub in his car up so much, you drown every other noise. Than the beats would be perfect for ya!

Sep 24, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 34
The reason folks don't like them on Head-Fi is due to three main reasons: 1) They don't like the Monster brand 2) They've prejudged these as bass heavy hip hop phones due to the Dr. Dre branding 3) The only real audition with them has been mostly at the terrible Best Buy demo stations. Take your gear to a Apple store and plug the beats into your gear there. For a portable pair of full sized active NC headphones, these are tops if you are looking for portability, isolation from external sounds, and all without a accessory headphone amp. Do your research, these are good phones, Jude, one of the mods on Head-Fi gave a very good impression on them when the Beats came out but it was buried quickly after that from un-knowledgeable folks who blindly trashed them without ever bothering to give them the time of day in the first place. Rest assured if these were branded differently by the more popular Head-Fi brands (like Sennheiser) the impressions would be completely different.

Tsk tsk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back