Dr. Dre Beats in Time magazine
Jan 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 15
"Beats by Dre headphones have generally been praised for their audio quality"

“If you’re wearing a pair of Beats, it says, ‘Music’s really important in my life,"

My jimmies are officially rustled.
 ​

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 15
Not to go on a Beats tirade here, but I was in Best Buy yesterday and asked about their Magnolia headphone listening station (there was a big sign for it).  They guy procedes to tell me that while they do have a pair of B&W P5s in the Magnolia section, the 'real' headphones are a few aisles over... "over there you will find the Beats headphones"...

Yeah, I know, it's Best Buy.  Hey, I was nearby and wanted to see what they had in stock... stupid me.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Not to go on a Beats tirade here, but I was in Best Buy yesterday and asked about their Magnolia headphone listening station (there was a big sign for it).  They guy procedes to tell me that while they do have a pair of B&W P5s in the Magnolia section, the 'real' headphones are a few aisles over... "over there you will find the Beats headphones"...

Yeah, I know, it's Best Buy.  Hey, I was nearby and wanted to see what they had in stock... stupid me.

And that is most likely because they have a higher markup and get bonuses or something like that based on profits. They're not commission but still they get something for selling higher margin stuff. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
"Beats by Dre headphones have generally been praised for their audio quality"

“If you’re wearing a pair of Beats, it says, ‘Music’s really important in my life,"

My jimmies are officially rustled.
 ​

Well those lines gave me a good laugh for today 
darthsmile.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Talk to a Magnolia guy, not a regular blue shirt. They have a wide selection.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Its all about money you know that. They pay to get stuff like that in the magazines. 

Exactly what I was thinking..

Quote:
Quote:

Talk to a Magnolia guy, not a regular blue shirt. They have a wide selection.

The Magnolia guy at my place is pretty smart and connected the AKG Q701's(wanted to listen to them) to a Audioquest Dragonfly, not just into a headphone jack!

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Was there last Friday to get my Atari headphones, They had 2 listening stations in the store, 1 was in the instrument section (don't even get me started on Guitar Centerbestbuy) which featured a few low end sennheiser and Koss DJ headphones, and in the portable area they had beats and bose. Sickening.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 15
My local BB has a pair of DT1350 in the musical instrument section. Only 1 pair, and has been there for at least a year now. I'd have picked it up, but on-ear cans don't work for me sadly.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking..

The Magnolia guy at my place is pretty smart and connected the AKG Q701's(wanted to listen to them) to a Audioquest Dragonfly, not just into a headphone jack!

Because the Magnolia guys are actually professionally trained by the manufacturers and Magnolia. Magnolia still has tight control over what they sell, who sells there and training. Used to work in Magnolia. They also get paid better. Quite knowledgeable.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 15
The employees of the best buy stores Ive been into are forced to wear beats, its almost a part of their uniform. I can see it logically because they most likely make a majority of their headphone profits off beats, everyone knows what beats are, asking people in best bey what AKG or Sennheiser is, they wont know.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
asking people in best bey what AKG or Sennheiser is, they wont know.

This is very true. I recently got a pair of Audio Technica a900x headphones at best buy. I walked in and asked where I could find them and not a single person in the store I talked to had ever even heard of Audio Technica despite the fact they sell their headphones, mics, turntables, etc. I was kind of dumbfounded to be honest. 

On top of this fact I had actually called the store the night before to make sure they actually had the a900x's in stock, to which they told me they did. They even asked if I would like to pay for them over the phone and come in to pick them up the next morning. I did not pay for them then, and I was glad I did not. I got to the store the next morning and nobody had ever seen these headphones or heard of Audio Technica. They checked another store that also supposedly had them in stock, and they also couldn't find them. I ended up finding them at a Best Buy store about an hour and a half drive from where I originally was supposed to grab them. The customer service I got in the first store was pretty exceptional, the lady who helped find them in another store really went above and beyond (was with her for almost an hour). But the service in general and the stores themselves are just atrocious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back