Downtown Chicago Meet (3/18/06) Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo
Next time, we gotta do name tags with usernames and real names.....I'm bad with names in the first place, and I kept forgetting to ask you guys for them when we met. Now I have a bunch of faces in my head, and a bunch of names, but not a whole lot of them connected!

Yeah, a "group" introduction should be a required at these.

BTW...I'm the guy in the red flannel shirt that was really impressed with your son's Archos (those blue bumpered beauties bring back fond memories).

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Highlights...

3) Creative positions for IEM placement

I briefly forgot about that. Ok, I think I blocked it out of my mind once the subwoofer placement was discussed.
basshead.gif

Randy, great job on the location. I think there is an overwhelming majority that are going to nominate you for hosting the next one as well.

-Jeff

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #34 of 55
Thanks Randy for the great room for the meet. Listening to the Meridian G08,PS Audio headphone amp and the AKG 701 headphones was awesome - and then looking out at the view of Lake Michigan was a fantastic experience. I say we hold all future Chicago meets in the same place.

I didn't see that Shure and Westone were there. Damn, I can't believe I missed them!

Thanks Todd_R for the UE Super.fi 5PRo. I really like the sound and they can hold their own against the more expensive UM2s that I also own.

Thanks to Ray Samuels and his Sony R10. These things sound amazing. If I had the scratch I would get a pair for sure.

Reynman, the SOTA turnatable sounded very good. I'm gonna have to check them out and see if I can get one for myself. Vinyl rules!!

The headphone that is my list next is the AKG 701. They have a very high end sound. These can compete with the best of them.

I just wish I had brought my camera to take some pics. The view was just amazing. Randy, you're a lucky guy to be able to live in this building.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #37 of 55
Just joined the head-fi forums and Sat. was a great time.
Thanks to Randy and others for organizing such a smooth running, fun event. Also, thanks to the generous parties which supplied the raffle prizes.
It was nice meeting all of you and hope to interact more on the boards.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #38 of 55
ALRITE GUYS HERE ARE MORE PICS OF I TOOK... THESE ARE MAINLY OF PPL LISENING AND JUS HAVING FUN... AND OHH PICS OF THE PIZZZZZZZAAAAAA!

My Dad trying to keep the attention ... again lol
DSC01799.jpg

Reynman listenting to sum HD650's it looks like
DSC01800.jpg

Once again... trying to keep the attention...
DSC01804.jpg

Look at them R10's
DSC01805.jpg

BEFORE:BILLY COULDN'T GET MY DADS K1000's TO CONNECT TO BOTH CARY's
DSC01807.jpg

AFTER: AND HE DID IT!!!!!!!!
DSC01829.jpg

LOOK AT THE WORK!!!!
DSC01827.jpg

Somemore members talking about STUFF lol
DSC01810.jpg

BIIIIGGGG ROOM!
DSC01813.jpg

EVEN BIIGERR!
DSC01814.jpg

PIZZZAAA PIZZAA
DSC01830.jpg

MORE PIZZZAAAA!
DSC01831.jpg

AND BILLYS BENT TABLE! HAHAHAHA
DSC01833.jpg

MORE PICS TO COME ... STILL

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord SW Ont
Never thought I'd ever say this but that pizza looks better to me right now than all that fabulous headphone gear!
tongue.gif

P.S. It's late at night and I'm starving.
biggrin.gif

Lol Gord, where the heck is the CHEESE on those pizzas?!

Biggie.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #41 of 55
We must have set a record for the world's loftiest head-fi meet!

Perfect day, perfect venue. Great job Randy and blue onion for getting ToddR, RSA, Shure and Westone at the meet. I'd definitely pay $10 to have another meet at the Hancock.

Random thoughts:

Absorbine_Sr - Great to meet you. Next time you look for our cars in the parking lot! Nice ride! Good luck with the source/dac search. If you want to borrow the ART D/IO PM me.

acidtripwow - nice to see you again! Give Sota a call, Donna's great to deal with and they are local.

ToddR - Billy and I owe you a trip to your place to relieve you of more vinyl!

Billy - ghetto panache lives!

Ray - sooner rather than later and keep that switchbox away from me!

Charles - I hope Sony gets their act together with the PS3. I'll buy one regardless.

I went in wanting to listen to the 701s and to some extent I was disappointed and confused. I hooked up my rig (Comet, XR2, Raptor, 650) and warmed up Dianna Krall's Temptation (volume pot at 10 o'clock). Mike Arnpol's bass playing is highlighted in the first 20 seconds. I don Ray's 701s and fire up the same track and at the same volume, not even close to my listening volume. I play with the volume till I get to listening level, I'm at 12 and decide to restart the track. Where is the bass? It sounded flat and uninvolving or is that the magic of the 701? But why is there a discrepancy with the volume when the 701 (@ 12) impedance is 63 ohm and the 650 (@ 10) is 300 ohm?

All is not lost, I gave the 701 another whirl while everyone chowed down on the pizzas. I fire up Ray's 508.24/HR2 with Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man. Different medium, amp design, different kind of bass. The 701s come to life - the timpanis are strong and vibrant. The brass is detailed, but not bright. Hmmm. Is that the magic of the 701s? Nothing exaggerated, just the music as it was recorded. Or the 701s like SS amps vs tubes?

IMHO - The jury is still out on the 701s. Obviously, a meet is not the best environment to base my opinion, but that's what I heard and what I focused on at this meet. I'll have to give them another shot when I pick up my vinyl from Ray's house.

How 'bout we reconvene before Summer gets into full swing? Or Head-fi meet then Taste of Chicago in July!

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ

Biggie.

somewhere deep inside that massive crust....mmm Chicago deep dish
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
But why is there a discrepancy with the volume when the 701 (@ 12) impedance is 63 ohm and the 650 (@ 10) is 300 ohm?

The issue is one of efficiency. The HD650 is rated 103dB/V @ 300ohms, the K701 105 dB/V @ 62 ohms. This translates to 98dB/mW for the 650 and 93dB/mW for the K701, which means that the K701 needs about three times the power of the 650 to make the same volume level (e.g. 5.1mW for the K701 compared to 1.67mW for the HD650, to produce 100dB).

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #45 of 55
Orinally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ:
Quote:

===========================================

Hey Biggie - you know you're right ... I didn't notice that last night but now in the morning after a good night's sleep (and breakfast
biggrin.gif
) it's clearly obvious. They don't make them like that around here.

Funny ... I should have noticed as my favourite pizza is a four cheese special!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back