Downtempo/Triphop Recommendations
Jun 4, 2003 at 11:54 AM Post #16 of 27
Masive Attack a good group, but honestly Mezzazine is NOTHING at all like Zero 7, if that's the sound that you like.

Like someone above said, Boards of Canada would be nice if you like the sound of Zero 7. Same might be true for:
- Spacek
- Theivery Corp
- Everything But the Girl (music post 1995, not before)
- Presence
- Royksopp

Jun 4, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by zoboomofo
Where's Neruda when you need him? Thievery Corporation, and my favorite: Peter Kruder and Richard Dorfmeister.

Yes, yes, bring on the thievery and the K&D! Peace orchestra is really chill too. Haven't heard zero 7 yet, but it sounds like I should.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
Yes, yes, bring on the thievery and the K&D! Peace orchestra is really chill too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Add Tosca, Sofa Surfers and Jazzanova and it`s one hell of a trippy party!

Jun 4, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by skagen
Masive Attack a good group, but honestly Mezzazine is NOTHING at all like Zero 7, if that's the sound that you like.

I think the electronica genre gets too easily confused as one large group. I agree with you that massive attack and zero 7 sound nothing alike. One is easily downtempo and the other true trip-hop.

Jun 5, 2003 at 10:01 AM Post #20 of 27
DJ Shadow / DJ Krush with the trip(hip)-hop as well.

DJ Krush - Zen has some good sit down, smoke, and relax music I've heard.

Day's End is the track I'm mainly talking about ....

Jun 5, 2003 at 1:24 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Yes, yes, bring on the thievery and the K&D! Peace orchestra is really chill too. Haven't heard zero 7 yet, but it sounds like I should.
smily_headphones1.gif

Whoa sheee-yit! Long time no see, big guy. It's like a stroll down memory lane seeing you and Jaz on the boards.

Oh yeah, gotta keep the thread on track. I've got Amon Tobin's Supermodified, but it sounds a little difficult for just straight listening. It's got impressive production, and a very exotic sound though. Hey anybody got any recommendations on the DJ Kicks series. I've got (and love) the k&d contribution. I had the Thievery one, and I've sorta kept myself outta the loop ever since. If anyone thinks there's a DJ Kicks volume better than the k&d, please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

Jun 5, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #22 of 27
Thievery Corporation's DJ-Kicks compilation is exceptional. If you haven't heard it then you should definitely check it out. I also like Kruder & Dorfmeister's "G-Stoned" disc, which is really laid back. Really good music for, you know, chilling with your friends. By the way, isn't track 2 off the peace orchestra album the crap?
cool.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Thievery Corporation's DJ-Kicks compilation is exceptional. If you haven't heard it then you should definitely check it out.

yeah I had it but it pooped out on the last track. That last track was my favorite on it. The track they used on the Docker's commercial was groovy too.

Quote:

I also like Kruder & Dorfmeister's "G-Stoned" disc, which is really laid back. Really good music for, you know, chilling with your friends. By the way, isn't track 2 off the peace orchestra album the crap?
cool.gif

Damn right about track 2. That's always the first one I go for. #7 is also great. I hadn't thought about going after the G-Stoned ep but I've got an appetite for more cds right now.

DJ Shadow? I'm surprised I haven't heard more about his latest release. I heard it briefly, and kinda liked it. It was a little more ghetto than I was looking for at the time tho.

Jun 6, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #25 of 27
Anyone ever heard of Hungry Lucy? I kinda like Christa Belle's voice, sort of smooth, and even a little haunting at times. Here is a link to their site: http://www.hungrylucy.com/

Jun 6, 2003 at 1:42 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Dusty Chalk said...

Air (specifically, the Virgin Suicides soundtrack)

And this is why I love the Music forum... Dusty comes through again w/ something I'd never heard of but end up really liking.
cool.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
And this is why I love the Music forum... Dusty comes through again w/ something I'd never heard of but end up really liking.
cool.gif

Ironically, the choice is probably the furthest removed from everything else mentioned in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back