Downloading Flac Files? To do or not to do?
Apr 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

myunclesnephew

New Head-Fier
I just downloaded a few albums that are supposed to encoded in Flac. Here's the thing how do I know someone didn't take an MP3 and convert it to Flac which means I downloaded a huge MP3 file for nothing
eek.gif
. Is it wise to download in Flac? Most of my CD's I've already re-ripped. Is there a way you can tell?

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Illegal only if you profit from it?! Are you like in elementary school or what? Downloading music that you haven't paid for is illegal....period. people go to jail quite often for torrenting, pirating, and just plain stealing it....which is what you would be doing by downloading music that you don't pay for. 

Buy the music and support the artists. I'm pretty sure their intention was to sell their CD's, not have them stolen.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 10
Illegal only if you profit from it?! Are you like in elementary school or what? Downloading music that you haven't paid for is illegal....period. people go to jail quite often for torrenting, pirating, and just plain stealing it....which is what you would be doing by downloading music that you don't pay for. 

Buy the music and support the artists. I'm pretty sure their intention was to sell their CD's, not have them stolen.

How can you punish the end user and not the up loader? I can't download it if it does not exist. Again if I can't find the music in the STORE. I will download it. When is the last time someone went to jail for downloading music.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 10
people go to jail quite often for torrenting, pirating, and just plain stealing it....which is what you would be doing by downloading music that you don't pay for. 

People don't go to jail for downloading music :rolleyes:

That being said, it is against Head-Fi policy to be talking about downloading music, myunclesnephew, unless you are hoping to get banned.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 10
"......downloading music that you don't pay for." Torrenting a CD that someone else ripped and is torrenting himself. 2 people doing something that is illegal. I don't think the OP was talking about downloading purchased music since one can be relatively sure the file would be what is sold. But since he asked about how he could be sure if he downloaded a FLAC file would actually be a FLAC and not an upsampled mp3, then its easy to assume he is talking about downloading music illegally. 

But hey, I may be wrong. Myunclesnephew, is that what you meant? That you are downloading purchased music or downloading torrented music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back