Downgrading from Westone 4R to Sony EX600
May 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

basketball

500+ Head-Fier
I have the Westone 4R which I really really like I must say they are the best IEM I have heard thus far. They are much better than the Shure SE535, IE8, and Westone 3. Despite my love for the 4R I don't feel I need such expensive IEM. I am thinking of selling my 4R and downgrading to the Sony EX600. If you have heard both please leave your opinion on what I will be missing out If I were to downgrade. 

May 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 8
I own the Vsonic GR07, which is said to be the dynamic version of the W4. I had the chance to borrow the EX600 for a few days, and it sounds fantastic. It's just a smidgen less than the GR07 in terms of sound though. The only issue I foresee is that you will find the fit and housings abysmal in comparison to the W4.

May 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 8
EX600 would provide the better value, but if you want the W4R's similar sound but cheaper price, I can recommend the TDK BA200. And the GR-07 is more of a dynamic ver. of the UM3x than the W4 ever is. Therefore, you may not like the GR-07 as much as the W4. 

May 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 8
Once you've heard a certain level it's hard to settle for less..

May 13, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 8
I just sold the W4 recently because I also thought "I don't feel I need such expensive IEM". Mainly because the upper boosted bass annoyed me and I much preferred it with EQ.
I also had the EX600 for a time (at the same time, too). I liked them for the office (not too much isolation), open soundstage, smooth and un-fatiguing with good timbre.

I would be very surprised if anybody would prefer them over the W4, but if you keep in mind that you are downgrading, the strengths of the Sony might be very appealing.
I personally would have issues with the fit and the cables. The Westone is sooooo~ much more comfortable and has no cable noise, whereas a tiny wind breeze will kill all fun with the EX600.

May 13, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I just sold the W4 recently because I also thought "I don't feel I need such expensive IEM". Mainly because the upper boosted bass annoyed me and I much preferred it with EQ.
I also had the EX600 for a time (at the same time, too). I liked them for the office (not too much isolation), open soundstage, smooth and un-fatiguing with good timbre.

I would be very surprised if anybody would prefer them over the W4, but if you keep in mind that you are downgrading, the strengths of the Sony might be very appealing.
I personally would have issues with the fit and the cables. The Westone is sooooo~ much more comfortable and has no cable noise, whereas a tiny wind breeze will kill all fun with the EX600.

Got to agree, the W4 has overall more bass than the EX600. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back