Down to two...
Jun 25, 2006 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Quake1028

Previously known as Gloomfire.
So, it's down to two: AKG K501 or Senn HD595. My music prefs are in my profile. I will be using it to start with the equipment in my signature, so it would need to be easily driven by that combo, and then eventually to a home CDP and amp. I would really like something that would give me a different sound signature than my SR60's and work as a nice compliment to them.

Jun 25, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 12
Down to ten here.
biggrin.gif

Go for the Senns since I do not see you listening to classical at all. The Senns have better bass for the genres you listed as well.

Jun 25, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 12
I went through the same dilemma. I bought the HD595, was disappointed, then swapped them for the K501 and was very pleased. So I would definitely go for the K501 but it's only my taste.

I think those headphones are of more or less equal technical quality. They have however, very different sounds (and both quite different from the SR60).
I thought this of the AKG K501 and this of the Sennheiser HD595.

My view on the drivability issue is that it's not so big a problem as people tend to present it. The important thing is getting a headphone you like. Worry about amplification afterwards. A badly-amped but nice-sounding headphone for you will always be better than a well-amped headphone whose sound you don't really like.

Looking at your profile, I think the K501 will sound better for jazz (tighter more detailed bass) and country (crisper and sweeter acoustic guitars). For Rap, the HD595 will definitely be better.

Jun 25, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 12
The K501 will more than make you happy with the following music from your profile:
Quote:

Originally Posted by your music list
Rock (Fleetwood Mac, Journey, Pink Floyd)
Pop (Boyz II Men)
Country (Johnny Cash)
Jazz (Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis)

The 595's...I have never heard them, but if they are anything like the 555 I wouldn't bother with them, unless you were going to be stuck with just one can. I find the 555 to be a great all around can, but it does not really go the extra mile with any particular music. I think those 'bright' Senns are very versatile, but they don't do any particular music incredibly well (though again this is based of my listening to the 555 and reading about the 595).

I have to admit I have also not heard the K501, but I have read hundreds of posts about them and have extensive listening to my K601 as a comparison reference to compare peoples comments. The K601 is a beautiful jazz can, but it also does old country (Johnny Cash) and some rock very well. They aren't quite up to snuff with my HF-1 w/Flats for listening to blues/rock (SRV, Junior Wells, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, etc), but they can pull it off. Also the K601's do classic very well, if you listen to it (I don't, but I have a couple CD's that I tried). Again comparing to the HF-1, the K601 absolutely mop the floor with those Grado's on classical music.

If you are even considering the K501, I think you must get it. The price they are going for is excellent, and when they are gone, they are gone (I believe it is discontinued, like the late K401).

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Down to ten here.
biggrin.gif

Go for the Senns since I do not see you listening to classical at all. The Senns have better bass for the genres you listed as well.

See, that's the problem. I listen to classical as well. Hell, I listen to EVERYTHING pretty much.

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloomfire
See, that's the problem. I listen to classical as well. Hell, I listen to EVERYTHING pretty much.

What types do you listen to the most and what types the least?

With the K501's supposed lack of impactful and powerful bottom end, the HD595 would be a better all-arounder.

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
What types do you listen to the most and what types the least?

With the K501's supposed lack of impactful and powerful bottom end, the HD595 would be a better all-arounder.

Most rap and rock - altough the SR60 amped handles those very well IMO. So mainly I am looking for something that does everything else well - jazz, classical, country, pop, etc.

As for the Senns, they would be the 50ohm version.

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

So mainly I am looking for something that does everything else well - jazz, classical, country, pop, etc.

Then definitely, out of those two, I feel you should be leaning towards the K501.

Jun 25, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Well, if you already have a pair of Grados, I'd go with the AKG K-501.

AKG is "more different" from Grado than Sennheiser is, if that makes any sense. At least I think so.

If I were you, I'd use the Grados for the rap, and some of the rock. For jazz and country, the K-501 is going to do you good. I listed to a lot of country, and AKG nails it. And for jazz, there's nothing better. Seriously. On some recordings, I like the K-501 better than even the K-1000. It's a fantastic headphone, you should give it a try.

Jun 25, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Most rap and rock - altough the SR60 amped handles those very well IMO. So mainly I am looking for something that does everything else well - jazz, classical, country, pop, etc.

As for the Senns, they would be the 50ohm version.

This is so obvious, go with the K501.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back