Down to two: Succumb to iPod fervor?
Dec 18, 2007 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Cry Havoc

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I've narrowed it down to two players.

The Apple iPod Touch or the iRiver Clix 2.

Feel free to post the positives and negatives of each here in relation to one another.

I'm basically looking for a do-it-all flash player. Size is a concern for me, so that makes me lean towards the iRiver, but so is wi-fi.

Arrrg I cannot believe how agonizing of a decision this is.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cry Havoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've narrowed it down to two players.

The Apple iPod Touch or the iRiver Clix 2.

Feel free to post the positives and negatives of each here in relation to one another.

I'm basically looking for a do-it-all flash player. Size is a concern for me, so that makes me lean towards the iRiver, but so is wi-fi.

Arrrg I cannot believe how agonizing of a decision this is.

If its STRICTLY a decision between the Clix2 and Touch, I would take the Touch, no second thought. While (IMO) the sound quality isn't the best, there are so many things you can do with a jailbroken Touch. Its a damn shame about the storage capacity though, perhaps their next Touch will have a hard drive.
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 13
Here's a copy of one of my other posts on a similar topic. COPY... PASTE!

First off, I bought an iPod touch recently, after months of deliberation and testing. I'm going to be as honest as I can here, and point out my reasons for preferring this product as a general user, amateur audio lover, and gadget nut. My needs are only my own, so my opinions should be taken only as such. Disclaimer aside, here are my bulleted reasons for choosing the touch, and why I, personally, see it as a peerless device.

- It's not a phone. While there are gobs of do-it-all devices in the cell phone market (of wildly varying qualities), all of them must be used with a monthly fee. The touch delivers a similar experience without this limitation.

- There are no PDAs to equal its audio/video/storage usability and options. If there's something I've missed, it's not going to be in the same price range, nor will it have similar storage space. Its integration with iTunes, whether you appreciate the program or not, is also a strong addition.

As a side note, I'd like to mention that I also find the touch's sound quality to be great with my PortaPros. I realize that this is not the common opinion, but, with proper MP3Gain-ing and a good equalization setting, my touch can deliver a surprisingly rich sound that is currently my favorite among portable devices. I have not tested it with IEMs, however, so I am unaware of any background noise they would reveal (I have found no such noise with my PortaPros.)

- It has an extremely capable internet browser. While lacking Flash abilities, and certainly choking at times on heavy sites such as Gamespot.com, it's a rare occurrence that I come across a web page that I am not capable of enjoying at near desktop levels.

- Jailbreaking, and the upcoming SDK from Apple, opens this device up in ways that no other DAP can offer, and puts it in a position to directly rival full-fledged PDAs. I have my 1.1.2 touch jailbroken, and am currently enjoying the added benefits of all missing iPhone applications (sans stocks, as I chose not to install it) and various user-created programs. It's amazing what the modding community has done in such a short time. As they gain more traction, the touch and iPhone are both updated through Apple, and the SDK is released to the public, the possibilities will continue to open up.

I also reeeaaally like its e-mail application.
wink.gif

-It just works. Yeah, I know; the old Apple claim. However, over the course of time I've tried trying various players from many companies, and this point has become paramount in my (never-ending) quest for the perfect player. My Cowon D2 had AVI video speed errors that were unacceptably difficult to fix, the Zune had inconsistencies with regards to its wireless syncing while docked, my old Creative players had failing headphone jacks, etc.. Make no mistake: I do NOT claim that the touch is without glitches - it certainly has its share. However, the current leader in consistent hardware and software quality is, in my experience, Apple, and this fact alone keeps iPod in a top position during each of my DAP upgrade cycles.

- I like well-implemented touch controls. I looooove touch controls! Mind you, I'm not just talking about screens; the new Zune's touch pad is currently my favorite of the DAP input mechanisms. Both the Zunes and the touch (I don't like the click wheel too much; not accurate enough) get touch control right in my book, and they're stronger devices for doing it so well. Though not quite as accurate, the Cowon D2 did a fine job, as well.

There are likely other reasons that I'm not remembering, but these are some of the most important. The touch delivered almost all of the features that I've been looking and waiting for for years in the DAP/PDA worlds. The fact that Apple did it all so well, in one slim device, with such a clean and elegant interface has honestly blown me away. I really don't care for Apple's products on the whole, but the touch has delivered something so close to my ideal device that its existence amazes me, particularly at our current state of technology. The touch's strength doesn't so much lie in its individual technical capabilities, but the fact that it brought them all together into a finely-tuned, well-designed, and cohesive whole. There's just no other device that can also boast each of the touch's separate selling points as its own.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 13
Trastan, a modern PDA with expandable memory can pretty much play anything aside from DRM. And have you ever used the Picsel Browser? It's pretty much the same as Apple's browser, but it's been around for a lot longer.

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trastan, a modern PDA with expandable memory can pretty much play anything aside from DRM. And have you ever used the Picsel Browser? It's pretty much the same as Apple's browser, but it's been around for a lot longer.

Agreed, a standard PDA CAN play almost any, provided you pony up for extra software (or go open-source.) The benefits of the touch lie in its large internal (though adding an expandable memory slot would be awfully nice!) standard memory, integration with iTunes, user interface, and audio quality.

I had not seen the Picsel Browser; very impressive! I can see where Apple likely got the inspiration. That being said, it doesn't look to multiple simultaneous browser windows or an interface that is as intuitive. But that's what Apple excels at: they take known tech and make it streamlined and classy. While the Picsel Browser may, indeed, have come first and have much of the same features, my personal preference would still sway towards the mobile Safari (though I'm not a fan of the desktop version.) Also, Safari comes standard; I can't seem to find the cost of Picsel. Is it affordable, or does it come with any PDAs or smartphones?

In any case, thanks for pointing it out! It may come in handy if I end up with a PDA in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 13
If you're going to vote for the Clix, tell me why, please. Otherwise it's not as much help.

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Touch has a lineout, go for the Touch.

I'd like to know that, actually; has anyone tried using a line-out from their touch?

Dec 19, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 13
I will be, as soon as I get my Touch for Christmas.

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #12 of 13
i have the touch and use the line-out with a qables cable. wonderful combo with my little supermicro iv. however, when i just want to touch and go, my atrio m5 and touch are a wonderful and simple combination. sounds good, just a little hiss. (but then they hiss with every source i have heard)

edit: unless the clix 2 has changed heaps, it was not that good of a sounding player. it was so full of warming effects that seemed to be stuck to the players hardware rather than applied by the user. it hissed heaps as well. much more than the touch or any ipod i have ever heard (unless you consider shuffle an ipod)

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to know that, actually; has anyone tried using a line-out from their touch?

I have - with an ALO iMod Super Cotton Dock, connected to the RSA Tomahawk, listening through a pair of Shure e500. That combination makes the alleged "rolled-off high" on the e500 disappear!

See pics here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back