Douk Audio U2 Pro DDC - Poorman DDC for an affordable & clean digital signal
Nov 20, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #391 of 659
Nov we're talking. Cable matters has a reasonable coax to mono that is 6" in a two pack no less. Grabbed an actual USB b to usb c that looks very solid. So far so good.
PXL_20221121_030922284.jpg

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #394 of 659
I think it does IIS, so if the DAC has IIS input, that is the way to go. Far, far better than coax.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #397 of 659
Thank you im reading a bit in this topic and came to the Topping 10e i buyed it on the used market for 65€ think its more versatile

Do i nedd an external Power Supply to charge?
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #399 of 659
The DAC has to get power somehow, or the USB for data and power at the same time
I don't know anything about that device. Maybe somebody else can help.

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #400 of 659
I must say, it is better quality product that Douk / Leaf Audio U2 Pro. It has four layers PCB vs. two layers. Two layers board has no chance equalising ground noise to the same level.

They also claim of using original Murata transformer and quality regulators. If it is true, U2 Pro has no chance in my opinion. Crystek oscilators (esp. CCHD-575) are sensitive to the PSU noise and in my opinion the U2Pro suffer from poor regulation. On-board regulators are also dangerous, as a destructive voltage is only 7V.

U2 Pro is more functional, having an option for external power supply. If you use with a noisy USB host it will benefit from redirecting ground loops, otherwise there is a little chance. But I waiting for your verdict, sorry to disappoint.
I bought both Douk U2 Pro basic version and the Aliexpress product with TCXO based on the recomendation here. The Aliexpress prouduct sounded having punchier bass and more details. I was so happy to find something even better than the Douk until I realized the Aliexpress product seems to be 0.5 db louder than the Douk. When they are volume matched, they sound about same except the Aliexpress product is a little more fatiguing to my ears and the Douk is a little smoother. Also, the Aliexpress product is not built as well as the Douk. I prefer the Douk, and want to see if better clocks would do magic to the Douk. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #401 of 659
I bought both Douk U2 Pro basic version and the Aliexpress product with TCXO based on the recomendation here. The Aliexpress prouduct sounded having punchier bass and more details. I was so happy to find something even better than the Douk until I realized the Aliexpress product seems to be 0.5 db louder than the Douk. When they are volume matched, they sound about same except the Aliexpress product is a little more fatiguing to my ears and the Douk is a little smoother. Also, the Aliexpress product is not built as well as the Douk. I prefer the Douk, and want to see if better clocks would do magic to the Douk. Just my 2 cents.
0.5 dB? I guess that's inaudible and irrelevant.

Dec 14, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #402 of 659

Even +0.5dB can be the main factor in a new item sounding better.

However if a DCC is consistently doing digital volume increase its very bad news. It would be possible to program a USB receiver like an XMOS to do +0.5dB with some cunning. That would be very deceptive and will lead to an initial sense the music sounds much better but with detrimental DA quality with >0dBFS on some tracks, thats likely to be noticed with more extended listening.

Its hard to confirm a DDC is actually manipulating the volume. Hearing alone isnt enough. Not many have a scope to measure.

In terms of needing great clocks in a DDC for SPDIF alone that is very questionable. For I2S great clocks make good sense. For SPDIF as long as the clock is OK thats likely to be good enough. SPDIF quality relies on the DAC receiver/internal clock and PLL with the source rough clocking in the SPFID stripped out and discarded. So spending money on a great clock for an SPDIF DCC is not the best use of a limited audio budget.

From this point of view the basic Douk SPDIF is a good buy.

If needing I2S maybe look at a better DCC and dont try to save too much. If your DAC uses the I2S clocks it might sound better with a DCC that has quality clocks.

Dec 14, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #403 of 659
I really don't know how one digital to digital converter can be louder than another. Honestly, no way. I think something has changed by mistake in your player.

EDIT: I see post from @Nada , i agree, but it is unlikely that these guys have a knowledge and invested in development system from XMOS. They will rather buy pre-programmed chips from bigger guys.

Give both more time to burn leaving it powered in the USB port and report back after a week. TCXO takes more time to achieve optimum performance. But in a Chineese product TCXO can be fake, be prepared for that.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #404 of 659
I really don't know how one digital to digital converter can be louder than another. Honestly, no way. I think something has changed by mistake in your player.

EDIT: I see post from @Nada , i agree, but it is unlikely that these guys have a knowledge and invested in development system from XMOS. They will rather buy pre-programmed chips from bigger guys.

Give both more time to burn leaving it powered in the USB port and report back after a week. TCXO takes more time to achieve optimum performance. But in a Chineese product TCXO can be fake, be prepared for that.
Nothing changed other than swapping the inputs from one to the other on my DAC.
It is hard to believe. I hope someone with correct equipments could do measurements to prove or disprove.

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #405 of 659
Even +0.5dB can be the main factor in a new item sounding better.

However if a DCC is consistently doing digital volume increase its very bad news. It would be possible to program a USB receiver like an XMOS to do +0.5dB with some cunning. That would be very deceptive and will lead to an initial sense the music sounds much better but with detrimental DA quality with >0dBFS on some tracks, thats likely to be noticed with more extended listening.

Its hard to confirm a DDC is actually manipulating the volume. Hearing alone isnt enough. Not many have a scope to measure.

In terms of needing great clocks in a DDC for SPDIF alone that is very questionable. For I2S great clocks make good sense. For SPDIF as long as the clock is OK thats likely to be good enough. SPDIF quality relies on the DAC receiver/internal clock and PLL with the source rough clocking in the SPFID stripped out and discarded. So spending money on a great clock for an SPDIF DCC is not the best use of a limited audio budget.

From this point of view the basic Douk SPDIF is a good buy.

If needing I2S maybe look at a better DCC and dont try to save too much. If your DAC uses the I2S clocks it might sound better with a DCC that has quality clocks.
Thanks. Very informative.
I am just curious what better clocks could do to SPDIF, and I am fine with the antipated disappointment of no audible difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back