DOUBTS about next phone purchase
Aug 7, 2007 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

utilisateur

100+ Head-Fier
Well paycheck is in and i cant decide on the phone i want to buy

The phones will be driven by either the 0404USBs headamp or the Millenium HP1 a very basic tl074 based studio amp for some time
Future upgrade of my signal chain will be a balanced DIY SS-amp (SESS or cascode design) and later RME FF400. Theres also a turntable waiting for a new cartridge that will be equalized on the PC

I listen to a broad choice of music with a lot of jazz and classic but an equal amount of punk,hardcore,progressive rock and new wave/postpunk stuff ,some rap and also abstract noise etc

I'm considering

AKG K271S
Equation Audio Rp21
MB Quart ?
ATH A900
A950LTD
AD1000
W1000
AKG K701

I had been settled on the K701 for a long time for what i heard about its clarity detail and neutrality ,but after auditioning them (only trough a Behringer HA4000 though and with unknown music) i was very underwhelmed.

not sure about BeyerDynamics as they sounded very coloured when i auditioned them trough the same setup as the K701

W1000 and K701 will probably be too thin without a proper amp? I really dont want to miss out on the lower octaves, but i think i'd prefer controlled bass over totaly fuzzy boomy subbass
Overall goal is realistic uncolored detailed reproduction,hoping that it will give me bigger satisfaction in the long term than a coloured "musical" setup.(dreaming of R10)

Current phone is an KSC75 unmodded
if your can recommend a nice aftermarket amp sub 150€ shipped to europe that would improve my day until i decide to build an amp i'd be willing to go out and order it along with the phones

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 18
If you want a neutral presentation like you said, your best bet is a 701. The Senns are very colored, as is a lot of the other models you mentioned.

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 18
X3 on the Senn's and especially on the Amp. Also a quality source is required.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 18
Source will stay 0404USB for some time and i cant shell out more than 200€ for an amp right now (only commercial amp coming to my mind would be corda arietta)

Well since the beginning of my head-fi journey i have a strong dislike for senns from what i read.But i wasn't bothered auditioning them so though i dont think so it may be a false asumption, seeing i have a general dislike for Sennheiser products without too many reasons.
I guess my statement about the bass made you all recommend the Senns?
I really dont want emphasized low mids and a warm mess of sound though

I'll try some Senns tomorrow

How about the AT Lineup, especialy AD1000 and W1000 i thought they were rather neutral(compared to A900,Senns or Beyers)

[size=xx-small]so right now that'd be

K701
HD600

RP21 review sounded very promising?
MB Quart?
Dt880? (only heard the 770+990)[/size]

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source will stay 0404USB for some time and i cant shell out more than 200€ for an amp right now (only commercial amp coming to my mind would be corda arietta)

Not familiar with the Corda amps ...

Quote:

Well since the beginning of my head-fi journey i have a strong dislike for senns from what i read.But i wasn't bothered auditioning them so though i dont think so it may be a false asumption, seeing i have a general dislike for Sennheiser products without too many reasons.
I guess my statement about the bass made you all recommend the Senns?
I really dont want emphasized low mids and a warm mess of sound though

I'll try some Senns tomorrow

The Senns's are fine phones when partnered with amps that can control their drivers, IMO, if you hear a veil or Senn's sound warm then your amp/source or both are lacking, not the Senn's ...

Quote:

How about the AT Lineup, especialy AD1000 and W1000 i thought they were rather neutral(compared to A900,Senns or Beyers)

Well, IMO the AT W1000's and W5000's are very good phones, tho I feel they are a bit on the lean side, they do work well with less capable amps, i.e. amps that don't do as well with Senns ...

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 18
I bet there's truth behind what you say, but your signature says it all
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by java
Senn's demand extremely capable amplification, using anything less,
is an exercise in masochism ...

Afterall I'd love to try them, like any other phone, but with the amplification i can provide them
i dont think they fit my bill

The lower the headphone price the more i have left over for an amp, my current budget is around 500€.
I could shell out 300 more € next month though.
that's 690$ + another 414$
(or 140.000Yen thinking of that Yamamoto amp(never heard a tube amp though)

cant look for an amp untill i know what phone to get though
still cant decide between

K701
W1000
and the cheaper
RP21
(MB Quart 450)

I realy enjoy hearing the timbre of musical instruments, having the natural decay and the clarity
to hear into the room things were recorded at.
I dont want coulored but fullbodied sound.Undistoreted Bass and clean and present highs.
Well i guess that is what most of us want but i definately want to set the next milestone in my audiophile journey,
so i guess the phone shouldn't limit my future upgrades but i do need to have it play atleast above ksc75-niveau now
wink.gif

I'd love to hear more comments even if it is to bring the HD6x0,A950,AD1000 or any other phone back in the game!!
3000smile.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 18
Audio Technica guy here...DETAILS...nuff said.

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 18
Can someone comfort me if i decide on the K701,looks like theres not much love for it left over, or do those that have it pass all their time listening
icon10.gif

Of course i'd have to follow with a nice amp, but i'd have to with the others aswell anyways
tongue.gif

1. W1000 to uninvolving and undetailed ?
  2. Senns to dark (and veiled)
  3. others not up to par ?

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nagal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see the Beyer 880's in your selection.. why??
smily_headphones1.gif

I found them less colored than anything else I tried when I decided on them.

Do yourself a favor and try some DT 880s.

[size=xx-small]This message brought to you by Team Beyerdynamic[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back