Double Helix Cables Thread
Apr 5, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #901 of 2,056
Beautiful indeed and whets my appetite as I anxiously await for my cables to arrive.

I had gotten the original El-8 open last year but let them go as I wasn't that impressed with them. Sounds like they've made some sonic improvements with the El-8 Ti.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #902 of 2,056
He he he, the wait is long but definitely worth it. Peter is like Moon Audio and ALO Audio, not ******** audio crap, actually real skill, cable metallurgy and electrical understanding.

As for the improvements, well yes the Audeze EL8 Titanium project was part of the Sine project too, and led to a big overhaul of all but three headphones.
The EL8 Ti have these changes as standard and that's been reflected to the 2016 EL8 CB and EL8.

The 2015 EL8 models are phased out.

That means that the 2016 EL8 CB is now the same as EL8 Ti internally.
If you want to buy an EL8 you might need to check when was the headphone inspected/serial number/date of manufacture to see if the EL8/EL8 CB you'll pick up is new or not.
Anyone getting the EL8 Ti are fine.

Imo, the 2016 EL8 series are such a change from the 2015, I'd almost categorise them as new headphones.

But back to DHC, I'm massively enjoying the Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable with my EL8 Ti and Onkyo DP-X1 in AGC mode. The cables greatest effect is dimensionality; stock cables sound claustrophobic when switching between cables.

Anyway, it's late in the UK, time to sleep.

Nn.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #903 of 2,056
He he he, the wait is long but definitely worth it. Peter is like Moon Audio and ALO Audio, not ******** audio crap, actually real skill, cable metallurgy and electrical understanding.

As for the improvements, well yes the Audeze EL8 Titanium project was part of the Sine project too, and led to a big overhaul of all but three headphones.
The EL8 Ti have these changes as standard and that's been reflected to the 2016 EL8 CB and EL8.

The 2015 EL8 models are phased out.

That means that the 2016 EL8 CB is now the same as EL8 Ti internally.
If you want to buy an EL8 you might need to check when was the headphone inspected/serial number/date of manufacture to see if the EL8/EL8 CB you'll pick up is new or not.
Anyone getting the EL8 Ti are fine.

Imo, the 2016 EL8 series are such a change from the 2015, I'd almost categorise them as new headphones.

But back to DHC, I'm massively enjoying the Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable with my EL8 Ti and Onkyo DP-X1 in AGC mode. The cables greatest effect is dimensionality; stock cables sound claustrophobic when switching between cables.

Anyway, it's late in the UK, time to sleep.

Nn.

I'm no expert, but I get the impression that Peter is a cut above Moon Audio and ALO. He offers way more customization options and detailed info about the materials he uses.

However, I did order a black dragon cable from Moon Audio for my Ultrasone Edition 5s last year, and I have to give them huge credit for their fast turnaround time. I had the cables in my hands in less than a week from placing my order! I don't know how they crank out their stuff that fast given that they're a small shop too.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #904 of 2,056
I'm no expert, but I get the impression that Peter is a cut above Moon Audio and ALO. He offers way more customization options and detailed info about the materials he uses.

However, I did order a black dragon cable from Moon Audio for my Ultrasone Edition 5s last year, and I have to give them huge credit for their fast turnaround time. I had the cables in my hands in less than a week from placing my order! I don't know how they crank out their stuff that fast given that they're a small shop too.

Moon Audio make killer cables, and quickly too :D
I'm glad you enjoy them ^^

In my opinion, Double Helix Cables, Moon Audio, ALO Audio, and Forza Audio Works are the best headphone cable makers out there.

I favour DHC but that is with a small team, whereas Moon Audio and ALO Audio have a bigger manufacturing process.

Either way, we all win from any of the above companies.
Except out wallets and purposes but who needs food, eh? :wink:

Now, how to get cash to get some Complement4 cables for my 2016 EL8 series EL8 Titanium headphones...
Believe it or not, Peter has done this for someone, and I would like to get my own too!

[Edit: part of my post wasn't in earlier, added it in now, sos].

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #905 of 2,056
Posted this on the Onkyo DP-X1 thread but here's a brief impression of my two balanced headphones with Onkyo DP-X1 and balanced Double Helix Cables:

My listening session today with Onkyo DP-X1 in balanced AGC mode:

Audeze EL8 Titanium headphones (2016 EL8 series) with Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable:

Music:
Jazz at the Pawnshop Double Rate DSD (DSD128) from NativeDSD.com/Naxos.

Excellent positioning of musicians AND the crowd. Goosebumps on my skin when you hear people get up and and leave; surreal!
Soundstage was a tad small in width and length (compared to my AKG K 712 headphones with DHC Prototype Molecule 4-Wire 25awg copper single-ended cable) but gorgeous depth!
A very involving experience.

---

Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's with DHC Symbiote SP Fusion Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable:

Music:
'Dark Side of the Moon' 30th Anniversary Edition Hybrid SACD by Pink Floyd.
With the help of a friend with 1st gen PS3, ripped SACD into DSD.

I don't think there are any words I know of that can describe the experience, or my tears.
This was breathtaking, with lush details, incredible dynamics, fast transients and epic panning of sonic instruments.
This was etheral... <3

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #906 of 2,056
One pleasant surprise I received was in ordering one of DHCs hypershort connectors.  I placed the order at 10 o'clock last night, and woke up this morning to find a tracking number for its shipment.  Fastest turnaround I've ever experienced!  Granted, it wasn't a custom cable order, but it definitely caught me off guard!

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #907 of 2,056
One pleasant surprise I received was in ordering one of DHCs hypershort connectors.  I placed the order at 10 o'clock last night, and woke up this morning to find a tracking number for its shipment.  Fastest turnaround I've ever experienced!  Granted, it wasn't a custom cable order, but it definitely caught me off guard!

Peter's ultrashort cables are a thing of beauty.

I have a 2.5 mm TRRS to 3.5 mm TRS ultrashort adapter so that I can use my balanced DHC cables on single-ended equipment.

Elegant and discrete adapters ^^

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #908 of 2,056
Peter's ultrashort cables are a thing of beauty.

I have a 2.5 mm TRRS to 3.5 mm TRS ultrashort adapter so that I can use my balanced DHC cables on single-ended equipment.

Elegant and discrete adapters ^^

wanna ask you something about the ultrashort
do you have to state that you want a 3.5mm Eidolic male plug or it comes as standard?
Thanks in advance!

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #909 of 2,056
do you have to state that you want a 3.5mm Eidolic male plug or it comes as standard?
Thanks in advance!

It looks like they're Eidolic based adapters, but you have to specify in the comment section of the order what you want, connector wise, on the female end and also the male end.  It probably  wouldn't hurt to throw in a comment specifying "Eidolic".  Hope that helps.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #910 of 2,056

Thanks in advance!

It looks like they're Eidolic based adapters, but you have to specify in the comment section of the order what you want, connector wise, on the female end and also the male end.  It probably  wouldn't hurt to throw in a comment specifying "Eidolic".  Hope that helps.

What fiascogarcia said (thanks dude!).

Here's a close up of mine on the right of the pic, which is a 2.5 mm Female input to 3.5 mm Male output adapter; an AKG 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm adapter on the left is for comparison:

So, go to THIS LINK.

Add to basket, then in the comments section before purchase make clear what is connecting to what.

For example:
Hi Peter, I need my 2.5 mm balanced connector to plug into an adapter that has 4-Pin XLR out.

Peter will understand that you want a 2.5 mm Male plug into an adapter that has:
- 2.5 mm Female input on one side,
- 4-Pin XLR Male on the other.

In my case, I have a rapport with Peter via Facebook, but everyone else should use the store as normal.

I should add that Peter uses Eidolic connectors for virtually every situation except for Complement4/Spore4 Abbatron or Xhadow 3-Pin XLR connectors (unless you specify otherwise). ^^

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #911 of 2,056
So what is with this company? I placed an order for one cable on December 12, 2015, and 17 weeks later I have received nothing, and not a single update on the status of my order! And to add insult to injury, on two occasions I have asked, through their email link on their webpage, for an update on when I can expect to receive my cable (hopefully in my lifetime). No response to the two inquiries I made. Horrible customer service.

For the life of me, I cant understand why it would take 17 weeks and counting to make a cable. You can build an entire automobile way faster.  Other custom cable makers do it in less then 1/2 that time.  As a paying customer, I have the right to know what is going on with my order.

Any suggestions on how I can get a simple email response from this company, or better yet, receive the cable I ordered last year, would be appreciated. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #914 of 2,056
Thanks for responding. How do I get ahold of Peter? I have sent three emails through their website, and one PM to scootermafia on this site. No response from to date at all.

Hmm, you could email him rather than use the website contact page, or on Twitter send him a Direct Tweet...
Email address:
doublehelixcables[at]gmail[dot]com

I am sorry for the issues you're having and do hope they get resolved.

Edit:
Realised that, on my phone, you're was autocorrected to your. Can't be having that, fixed.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #915 of 2,056
IMO Peter doesn't reply web contact page email most of the time, all my reply were obtained after the order was placed or from my old email conversations with Peter.

Guess web contact page just not enough to draw Peter's attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back