Double Helix Cables Thread
Mar 13, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #691 of 2,056
+1 to that!  The cables from Peter are top notch. Using the all copper Complement 4, I've never hear as much improvement in detail and placement of instruments and voices from any other cable with my Fostex TH900's and that includes Stock, DHC's own Complement 3 and Stefan Audio Art Endorphin.

Thanks for the feed-back. did you also considered the Molecule Extreme before choosing the COMPLEMENT 4 ?

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #692 of 2,056
Does anyone have a picture of how an iem cable would look like with a remote mic for Android? Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #693 of 2,056
Hi. I have a general question about cables, and I don't want to bug Peter because he's answered enough random questions from me already. Forgive my lack of knowledge; I'm new here. :)

I have one (soon two) cables from Peter terminated in MMCX connections for Shure/Westone IEMs. 

If I get some larger headphones, say some Sennheiser HD800s, can I have those larger headphones modded or reterminated to take the MMCX cables? Would I have to have the cables reterminated to a different kind of connection?

I guess my fundamental question is, are the IEM cables/connections fundamentally different from those required to drive larger headphones? 

Thanks for any input. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #694 of 2,056
  Hi. I have a general question about cables, and I don't want to bug Peter because he's answered enough random questions from me already. Forgive my lack of knowledge; I'm new here. :)

I have one (soon two) cables from Peter terminated in MMCX connections for Shure/Westone IEMs. 

If I get some larger headphones, say some Sennheiser HD800s, can I have those larger headphones modded or reterminated to take the MMCX cables? Would I have to have the cables reterminated to a different kind of connection?

I guess my fundamental question is, are the IEM cables/connections fundamentally different from those required to drive larger headphones? 

Thanks for any input. 

You may have to have them, the cables or headphones, re-terminated or there is the possbility Peter could build an adapter so that you could use the existing cable MMCX connections with other headphones.  You might want to inquire with him regarding an adapter but that will be dependent on the headphone you want to use them with.

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #695 of 2,056

Thanks for any input. 

Much easier and safer to reterminate the cable to suit the headphone connection than vice versa.  Connectors on headphones are usually of sturdier size and construction than those for iems.  The actual cable can be essentially the same, connectors are not.  Also, chances are, many (most) cable makers will not work on your headphones connectors.

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #696 of 2,056

Much easier and safer to reterminate the cable to suit the headphone connection than vice versa.  Connectors on headphones are usually of sturdier size and construction than those for iems.  The actual cable can be essentially the same, connectors are not.  Also, chances are, many (most) cable makers will not work on your headphones connectors.

Thanks. I was just thinking that it would be nice to be able to use the same cables with IEMs or larger headphones (which I don't even own yet, lol), so if I had everything done in MMCX connections, I could do that. Then I could get a couple excellent cables, have my larger headphones re-terminated to MMCX, and I could use whichever cable I wanted to on those headphones. Then swap 'em back to my IEMs whenever I felt like it. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #698 of 2,056

The only drawback is the cost of a full cable and connectors whereas the adapter would be less expensive and Peter makes some damn good adapters.  Yes, a new cable would be the cleanest solution, fewer connection points but not necessarily easier or safer, but also the more costly.  Ask Peter which would be best within your budget.  It's your call.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #699 of 2,056

The only drawback is the cost of a full cable and connectors whereas the adapter would be less expensive and Peter makes some damn good adapters.  Yes, a new cable would be the cleanest solution, fewer connection points but not necessarily easier or safer, but also the more costly.  Ask Peter which would be best within your budget.  It's your call.

It would be interesting to see.  I've seen his adapters, but I thought they were adapters for the different types of jacks that connect to various DAPs/Amps.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #700 of 2,056

It would be interesting to see.  I've seen his adapters, but I thought they were adapters for the different types of jacks that connect to various DAPs/Amps.

That what most of his adapters are for but he provides them at the other end also ( he could do Female MMCX to HD800 or whatever the need is).  They're called Triple Threat Adapters.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=37

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #701 of 2,056
Here's something fundamental I don't understand: Do all, or most, headphones, have the same cable connector? For example, I've been looking at Audeze XC and Alpha Primes, and they seem to have the same 4 pin connector to connect cables to the headphone itself, but on Peter's site you have to choose which connection you want, and those two headphones are different choices. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #702 of 2,056
Here's something fundamental I don't understand: Do all, or most, headphones, have the same cable connector? For example, I've been looking at Audeze XC and Alpha Primes, and they seem to have the same 4 pin connector to connect cables to the headphone itself, but on Peter's site you have to choose which connection you want, and those two headphones are different choices. 

Many companies have their own proprietary connectors. Only iems really have the same 2 on connectors and even then, many iem companies have their own connectors.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #703 of 2,056

Consult with Peter to be sure.  He knows his stuff and will not steer you wrong plus his build quality is impeccable.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #704 of 2,056
I'm new to this hobby and not sure what these mean so if someone can help me out what they mean / do / etc, would much appreciate it  

Choice of braid ---What are the difference between the four?  I don't really understand the picture above it.  I'm assuming more braid = better quality, but in what terms and how big of a difference if it can be described in words.  What about power requirements and what not?

Traditional 4 wire square braid (most compact)   Traditional 4-wire round braid (cool look)   6-wire braid - elite single ended cable ( +$200.00 )   8-wire braid - the ultimate balanced or single ended cable ( +$375.00 ) 

Add Interconnects (Combo deal!)

Add matching small (8" or less) mini-mini interconnect ( +$180.00 )

--What is this?

Y-Split (where applicable)

DHC Capsid carbon fiber/aluminum y-splitter   Logo heatshrink (lightest weight)--What is this? / difference? 

Adapters-What is this?  I know it's to change from one device's port to another, is it something like 2.5 to 3.5 adapter?  How do these adapters work?  how to change?  If I'm getting this with NWZX2 for the TRRS, but I also want to use it for something else that doesn't have TRRS connection, i would request this and ask for a TRS connection?

Add 1 Ultrashort adapter - your choice ( +$89.00 )
Add 2 Ultrashort adapters - your choice ( +$178.00 )
Add 3 matching adapters, your choice (up to 8" length) ( +$480.00 )
Add one matching adapter (same wire, basic DHC adapter) ( +$160.00 )
Add two matching adapters (same wire, basic DHC adapter) ( +$320.00 )

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #705 of 2,056
Peter would be the best person to be asking these questions of.  One suggestion I would make, for learning what they are, is to look up how to wire Single Ended and Balanced (differential) connections for headphones using a search engine.  Then talk to Peter about what equipment you have or are going to purchase and he can steer you correctly but the knowledge will be helpful for you to understand the basics about these types of connections.

Here's a good starting point.

http://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back