Double Helix Cables Thread
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #2,041 of 2,056
Anybody heard from Peter in a while? He printed a shipping label 1.5 months ago and there's still no activity on the shipment. Multiple emails have gone unanswered.
Reach out to him on Telegram.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #2,042 of 2,056
Does anyone have experience with the ChimeraS interconnects vs. the Prion4S interconnects?

I may be getting a Prion4 headphone cable, and wondering which interconnects to get with it. The ChimeraS is of course a lot more expensive.

My DAC is a Weiss DAC501-4ch, and amp is a LTA UL+ tube amp.

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #2,043 of 2,056
Does anyone have experience with the ChimeraS interconnects vs. the Prion4S interconnects?

I may be getting a Prion4 headphone cable, and wondering which interconnects to get with it. The ChimeraS is of course a lot more expensive.

My DAC is a Weiss DAC501-4ch, and amp is a LTA UL+ tube amp.
Same question for hp is the answer for interconnects.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #2,047 of 2,056
*Nevermind*

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #2,049 of 2,056
Does anyone know of a better way to contact Peter? I sent my Chimera to him for a small fix on one of the connectors that was loose in December 2023 and still have not received it back from him. His last response to my emails was on March 16th, in which he promised to send the cable out that week. After that, I have not heard anything from him. I’ll be going on a trip soon and really would love to take the cable with me, but the lack of communication and failed promises are very frustrating at this point. Any help would be much appreciated!
This thread should be renamed 'MESSAGE HIM ON TELEGRAM'. The answer to your question is on this very page.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #2,050 of 2,056
This thread should be renamed 'MESSAGE HIM ON TELEGRAM'. The answer to your question is on this very page.
sorry just saw it, thanks for pointing it out

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #2,051 of 2,056
Crosspost from 1266 thread...

Trying out DHC Chimera on my 1266.
TLDR: wow

PXL_20240415_132515562.jpg

Having been blown away with Double Helix Cables’ (DHC) flagship Chimera cable for my Susvara, I was fascinated with what the cable might do for my 1266.

The Sus cable is actually very decent, imo. But the Chimera is in a different universe.
  • It gives the top end a buttery smoothness that’s just sublime whilst losing none of Sus’s incisive speed. It doesn’t soften it at all.
  • Instruments decay and sustain in a way I couldn’t appreciate before.
  • Also – and I might be wrong about this – I swear the headphone is louder now! (NB, all the results I'm noting here are true regardless of volume pot. So this isn't a reflection of simply having the music louder). Having thought I was hearing wrongly, I had a check online, and a review on Mimic Audio mentioned this too. No idea what the technicalities are at play here, but it really sounds like it.
  • Imaging is more precise.
  • Overall clarity takes a leap. And I mean a leap.

CHIMERA paired with Abyss 1266

But 1266 is a different animal of course. What on earth would the Chimera do to it? Now I know.

I've had the Superconductor from day one of the 1266 and it was a huge improvement over the stock. The improvements have been well documented now by many others, so I won't bother repeating them all here. Suffice to say, it's a fantastic cable.

The short review is: I’m selling my Superconductor cable.

I’ve given it time, but honestly I knew after even an hour. Maybe less. It’s like the 1266 I’ve always wanted. And I’ve always loved it. But the midrange now has come up several levels. Let me emphasise that: several levels.

Even on jazz records that I’ve never even bothered attempting with 1266 after some disheartening early listens are now singing.

Even Nick Drake’s Hazey Jane II – which is a don’t-even-bother-trying-this-with-1266, just-put-on-your-Atriums song – is absolute heaven. Nick is right there singing to me now. The whole soundstage is no longer made up of separate components. They’re all performing together in such a way that I can still appreciate their constituent parts.

It’s hard to explain the experience of hearing THIS song in THIS way. Yes, I’ve put it back on as I write this. It’s...just perfect. Actually perfect. The bassier brass around 2:30 has never come through like this in the left channel before. So present and harmonious, in perfect concert with everything else around it.

To make sure I’m not losing my mind I put on Sigur Ros’s Agaetis Byrjun (title track). Same results. I almost cry. The 1266 isn't supposed to be capable of doing this, is it??

But ok, I didn’t get 1266 to listen to Nick Drake or Sigur Ros.

So I tried the Panopticon album by Isis. Opening track So Did We envelops me like never before. The clarity of the overlapping guitars. And I have an ‘oh my god’ moment, where I flap my hand incoherently towards my amp, as I realise that’s actually an acoustic guitar in the background around the 2 minute mark buried under a swell of guitars, previously impenetrable. I know this song inside out. And I’ve never heard that before.

This is the sort of clarity I'm getting now.

At this stage I consider emailing Peter at DHC to simply ask him: are you a witch doctor?
But I fear this might not come across well in email, so I don't send it.

Now it’s time for Jane Doe by Converge. One of the harshest-recorded albums I’ve experienced. Recorded entirely in the analogue realm, it’s pretty shrill at the best of times. Not because it was recorded analogue of course, but there's an uncompressed violence about that record. With the Chimera, it’s clear-headed yet still screaming its lungs out. How is this possible? This level of refinement but with these dynamics??

I really want to emphasise, the Chimera isn’t softening records that shouldn’t be soft. Jane Doe is as aggressive and visceral as I’ve ever heard it. But now it’s like it’s got its wonkiness filtered or something. It’s mesmerising.

CONCLUSION

I wasn’t prepared at all for what the Chimera would do to the 1266. After a few days, I’m genuinely questioning if I still need Susvara when the 1266 can do this.

I think these headphones have been put in a box in terms of what ‘it can do’. When actually, it’s capable of so so much more. I’m honestly floored.

I posted last week about the Mitch filters, and how I wasn't a fan of what they did to the 1266. It fixed midrange issues and some wonky tuning. But in the process, the filters tamed the 1266. They lost their wildness. Like someone had given George Best a haircut in his prime. Or took booze and drugs away from Keith Richards.

It felt like someone trying to dress their child in a way that wasn't true to who they were.

The Chimera with 1266 is the answer to that conundrum. It shows what they are truly capable of, fixing its problems without changing what it inherently is – which is way more versatile than I thought possible.

I get that the Chimera cable is insanely expensive. It’s also totally worth it.

And no, I don't work for DHC or anything, and I'm not posting links to their website in case people think I'm some affiliate or something. I'm just a guy who's hearing the best music of his life. My chain is in my sig, btw, for those interested.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #2,052 of 2,056
Crosspost from 1266 thread...

Trying out DHC Chimera on my 1266.
TLDR: wow

PXL_20240415_132515562.jpg

Having been blown away with Double Helix Cables’ (DHC) flagship Chimera cable for my Susvara, I was fascinated with what the cable might do for my 1266.

The Sus cable is actually very decent, imo. But the Chimera is in a different universe.
  • It gives the top end a buttery smoothness that’s just sublime whilst losing none of Sus’s incisive speed. It doesn’t soften it at all.
  • Instruments decay and sustain in a way I couldn’t appreciate before.
  • Also – and I might be wrong about this – I swear the headphone is louder now! (NB, all the results I'm noting here are true regardless of volume pot. So this isn't a reflection of simply having the music louder). Having thought I was hearing wrongly, I had a check online, and a review on Mimic Audio mentioned this too. No idea what the technicalities are at play here, but it really sounds like it.
  • Imaging is more precise.
  • Overall clarity takes a leap. And I mean a leap.

CHIMERA paired with Abyss 1266

But 1266 is a different animal of course. What on earth would the Chimera do to it? Now I know.

I've had the Superconductor from day one of the 1266 and it was a huge improvement over the stock. The improvements have been well documented now by many others, so I won't bother repeating them all here. Suffice to say, it's a fantastic cable.

The short review is: I’m selling my Superconductor cable.

I’ve given it time, but honestly I knew after even an hour. Maybe less. It’s like the 1266 I’ve always wanted. And I’ve always loved it. But the midrange now has come up several levels. Let me emphasise that: several levels.

Even on jazz records that I’ve never even bothered attempting with 1266 after some disheartening early listens are now singing.

Even Nick Drake’s Hazey Jane II – which is a don’t-even-bother-trying-this-with-1266, just-put-on-your-Atriums song – is absolute heaven. Nick is right there singing to me now. The whole soundstage is no longer made up of separate components. They’re all performing together in such a way that I can still appreciate their constituent parts.

It’s hard to explain the experience of hearing THIS song in THIS way. Yes, I’ve put it back on as I write this. It’s...just perfect. Actually perfect. The bassier brass around 2:30 has never come through like this in the left channel before. So present and harmonious, in perfect concert with everything else around it.

To make sure I’m not losing my mind I put on Sigur Ros’s Agaetis Byrjun (title track). Same results. I almost cry. The 1266 isn't supposed to be capable of doing this, is it??

But ok, I didn’t get 1266 to listen to Nick Drake or Sigur Ros.

So I tried the Panopticon album by Isis. Opening track So Did We envelops me like never before. The clarity of the overlapping guitars. And I have an ‘oh my god’ moment, where I flap my hand incoherently towards my amp, as I realise that’s actually an acoustic guitar in the background around the 2 minute mark buried under a swell of guitars, previously impenetrable. I know this song inside out. And I’ve never heard that before.

This is the sort of clarity I'm getting now.

At this stage I consider emailing Peter at DHC to simply ask him: are you a witch doctor?
But I fear this might not come across well in email, so I don't send it.

Now it’s time for Jane Doe by Converge. One of the harshest-recorded albums I’ve experienced. Recorded entirely in the analogue realm, it’s pretty shrill at the best of times. Not because it was recorded analogue of course, but there's an uncompressed violence about that record. With the Chimera, it’s clear-headed yet still screaming its lungs out. How is this possible? This level of refinement but with these dynamics??

I really want to emphasise, the Chimera isn’t softening records that shouldn’t be soft. Jane Doe is as aggressive and visceral as I’ve ever heard it. But now it’s like it’s got its wonkiness filtered or something. It’s mesmerising.

CONCLUSION

I wasn’t prepared at all for what the Chimera would do to the 1266. After a few days, I’m genuinely questioning if I still need Susvara when the 1266 can do this.

I think these headphones have been put in a box in terms of what ‘it can do’. When actually, it’s capable of so so much more. I’m honestly floored.

I posted last week about the Mitch filters, and how I wasn't a fan of what they did to the 1266. It fixed midrange issues and some wonky tuning. But in the process, the filters tamed the 1266. They lost their wildness. Like someone had given George Best a haircut in his prime. Or took booze and drugs away from Keith Richards.

It felt like someone trying to dress their child in a way that wasn't true to who they were.

The Chimera with 1266 is the answer to that conundrum. It shows what they are truly capable of, fixing its problems without changing what it inherently is – which is way more versatile than I thought possible.

I get that the Chimera cable is insanely expensive. It’s also totally worth it.

And no, I don't work for DHC or anything, and I'm not posting links to their website in case people think I'm some affiliate or something. I'm just a guy who's hearing the best music of his life. My chain is in my sig, btw, for those interested.
Great review. Have you had chance listen on Prion4 and compare Chimera with it?

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #2,053 of 2,056
Sadly no. There are some mentions of it in the 1266 thread if search for 'prion'. A really fantastic user called simorag posted comparisons between the prion4 and superconductor which might illustrate what the prion is all about.

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #2,054 of 2,056
Apr 15, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #2,055 of 2,056
I love the Prion4, but with Diana TC and solid state amps it was very unflattering and bright, and the SC was a lot better. Chimera has a lot more body to it, and is a little smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back