Double blind test 128Kbps vs lossless? I'll be amazed if you can tell much difference
Jul 28, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #196 of 257

Quote:
I'm no better than he is?  Are you the last overly sensitive person in Australia or what?  Why don't you just report an offense and quit your public moralizing to make you feel better about yourself.  Spoken like a female.  Its one thing to ask for a bit of decorum, its another to be the political correctness Gestapo.  Get over yourself.

Good point.

P.S. ROFLMAO!!!

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #197 of 257

Quote:
 As for TRANCE, he obviously has other personal and psychological issues far beyond the realm of hearing capacity.

I like this point made and have to concur. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #198 of 257

Quote:
The problem is that the OP flat out said what the test was, making this test invalid from the get-go. This obviously isn't a double blind test. It would've been more interesting if he put two of the same files and claimed there was a difference.

I wouldn't say it's completely invalid, but yes, it could be improved upon. For instance, if someone was to completely randomly guess the answer, he'd still have a 50% chance of being correct, as there're only two samples.

I think an improved setup would be to have 5 unknown files, with either 4 lossless and 1 mp3, or vice versa. That way, one would have to be pretty sure to get it right.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #199 of 257

Quote:
I'm no better than he is?  Are you the last overly sensitive person in Australia or what?  Why don't you just report an offense and quit your public moralizing to make you feel better about yourself.  Spoken like a female.  Its one thing to ask for a bit of decorum, its another to be the political correctness Gestapo.  Get over yourself.

Still laughing my ass off.  I love it when someone says it how it is.
L3000.gif

Been caught out on this forum a few times...never this hard.

I was askin for it, I deserved that...nice one!

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #200 of 257

Quote:
How is it invalid - if one is able to hear a difference and reliably pick it blind - I can reliably pick a difference blind - though I have no idea which is the MP3.

Because you know, assuming he isn't lying, that the two files are different. That alone can cause you to think you hear a difference.

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #201 of 257

Quote:
Still laughing my ass off.  I love it when someone says it how it is.
L3000.gif

Been caught out on this forum a few times...never this hard.

I was askin for it, I deserved that...nice one!

Cheers!  
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #203 of 257

Quote:
This is getting ridiculous, why can't we get the result from the OP?

Because it's best not to post the results in case others want to take the test at a later time. I do have the results from the OP, though. If anyone's curious after performing the test for themselves, just shoot me a pm.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #204 of 257
Confession time:

I've always given myself some credit for having a good ear. My friend and I have done AB tests with our respective iPods (5th gen + 6th gen classics), and I was able to tell which was which every time.
cool.gif
(not that hard - the 5th gen sounds a lot better [warmer, clearer]- unfortunately for me, a proud owner of the 6th)

I guess my pride in my ear was misplaced. 

I was not able to tell the difference. Actually, that's not entirely true. I thought I could perceive a difference, but upon PMing chengbin, I was proven wrong.
eek.gif

This does not convince me to rip at lower bit rates, however. I still feel that my setup (sr-60 out of power mac g5) is not quite enough to be able to properly use as a reference, and I'd hate to have to re rip all my tracks. 

(one last possibility - I might simply prefer the mp3. As a member of the "iPod generation [I'll just say under 20 years old, in my case], the compression might sound better. Hopefully that's not the case, but if you are under 25, and have listened with mp3s your whole life, post which you preferred 
smile_phones.gif
)

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #206 of 257

Quote:
Confession time:

I've always given myself some credit for having a good ear. My friend and I have done AB tests with our respective iPods (5th gen + 6th gen classics), and I was able to tell which was which every time.
cool.gif
(not that hard - the 5th gen sounds a lot better [warmer, clearer]- unfortunately for me, a proud owner of the 6th)

I guess my pride in my ear was misplaced. 

I was not able to tell the difference. Actually, that's not entirely true. I thought I could perceive a difference, but upon PMing chengbin, I was proven wrong.
eek.gif

This does not convince me to rip at lower bit rates, however. I still feel that my setup (sr-60 out of power mac g5) is not quite enough to be able to properly use as a reference, and I'd hate to have to re rip all my tracks. 

(one last possibility - I might simply prefer the mp3. As a member of the "iPod generation [I'll just say under 20 years old, in my case], the compression might sound better. Hopefully that's not the case, but if you are under 25, and have listened with mp3s your whole life, post which you preferred 
smile_phones.gif
)

Who cares if you didn't get it right - this test sample poses little challenge to compression algorithms and in effect is a biased test to favourably highlight this particular 128 implementation.  A lot of people (including myself) do not listen to this genre of music and that is a disadvantage also.

I refuse to believe anyone can pick the difference unless they did it blind...c'mon, it's only 128 can't be that hard.

I guess my hearing is that bad if someone can successfully blind test this using laptop speakers when it took me 4 hours of trying with thousands of dollars of equipment.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #207 of 257
I know which is which. I guessed right. Ham Sandwich PM'd me the results (he ran a test to see which was lossless and which was compressed). If you want to know, just PM me or him.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #208 of 257
I got it right, but it may or may not have been due to a bit of luck. There is another thread around here that has you tell the difference between 3 types of mystery samples and I absolutely could not tell those apart. Maybe genre has something to do with it as well. The test in this thread uses classical music (which I hardly listen to, although I listen to string instrumentals of more contemporary songs sometimes), while the other thread used new age music (which I practically never listen to).

Until I can acquire a headphone amp and a better DAC, I won't really know for sure.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #209 of 257

Quote:
I got it right, but it may or may not have been due to a bit of luck. There is another thread around here that has you tell the difference between 3 types of mystery samples and I absolutely could not tell those apart. Maybe genre has something to do with it as well. The test in this thread uses classical music (which I hardly listen to, although I listen to string instrumentals of more contemporary songs sometimes), while the other thread used new age music (which I practically never listen to).

Until I can acquire a headphone amp and a better DAC, I won't really know for sure.

I'm not attacking you specifically - nor am I even asking you to differentiate it blind. 

But from my experience - It was vital I passed the test blind - or else I'd have to go through the hassle and heartache to rid all my beloved gear and exit this hobby in it's entirety.  That's how much I stand by my strict discipline.

From this experience I really am borderline with the whole issue of placebo and cables.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #210 of 257

Quote:
I'm not attacking you specifically - nor am I even asking you to differentiate it blind. 

But from my experience - It was vital I passed the test blind - or else I'd have to go through the hassle and heartache to rid all my beloved gear and exit this hobby in it's entirety.  That's how much I stand by my strict discipline.

From this experience I really am borderline with the whole issue of placebo and cables.

No, no. I never thought that  you were. I was merely adding in my two cents. And yeah, I agree. If I had thousands of dollars' worth of equipment and I one day realized that they really didn't add much to the listening quality, I'd get rid of them, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back