Doom 3 is Gold!!!!
Jul 17, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #17 of 45
My computer's going to get worked; my XP1600+ can barely run todays games with my GF3!!
eek.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
sounds like you need better cooling, not a new card.

I'll probably try attaching small heatsinks to the RAM and maybe apply some Arctic Silver 5 under the GPU HSF...hopefully that'll help (RAM seems to get pretty warm), but then these problems started after I overclocked my card a bit too enthusiastically about a week after getting the card
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #20 of 45
i wish i had a faster computer. i hate spending money on computer gears though, the value drops too much too quickly. lets see how well my 1600+ xp and geforce3 runs it?
icon10.gif

here's an excerpt from pcgamer's review of the game:

"But no matter: The rest is all dynamite. Doom 3 took me 23 hours to complete on the medium difficulty setting. (For all those who rumored that the game would be over in a few hours- you couldnt be more wrong.) And for those 23 hours, you will never expirience a dull moment. Or even a less than mesmerizing one. Doom 3 is a masterpiece of art form - staying true to the frantic legacy of the Doom series, while ambitiously reaching new hieghts and bashing down the doors of the next generation of PC shooter. The bar is raised. Lets see someone else climb over it"- Dan Morris

Jul 17, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 45
For those looking for a new GF card that will run D3 considerably well, look no further than a 6800 GT or 6800 ( yea, I'm also surprised nvidia has actually been doing well lately! ).

Jul 17, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
My GF4 Ti4200 ain't gonna cut it.

mine either.
frown.gif
but then, I hear Doom 3 has SMP support (to what extent, I have no clue) so my dual xeon 2.4Ghz @ 2.93Ghz should be great with that.
biggrin.gif
1GB of RAM too... though I would hope not all will be used since a game like that would be scary.
eek.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #23 of 45
ok well i'm trying to upgrade my pc... I'm going for a 3GHz p4 800 MHz FSB with hyper threading. I'm trying to stay in the range of $250, any recomendations? And are the prescotts fairly good? Also which would be better, 512 of RAM at pc 3200 or a gig but at a much lower speed. Finally any recomendations for sites that have some reviews ect. (except toms hardware)

I'm hoping i'll be able to make this upgrade... been waiting for doom 3 for awhile, but i really want half-life 2 to come out!

Jul 17, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #24 of 45
I would pick up a MSI 9800 pro that has the XT core.
Best bang for the buck for under $200.
This is going to be a great game with the lights off and the headphones on.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterboy55
ok well i'm trying to upgrade my pc... I'm going for a 3GHz p4 800 MHz FSB with hyper threading. I'm trying to stay in the range of $250, any recomendations? And are the prescotts fairly good? Also which would be better, 512 of RAM at pc 3200 or a gig but at a much lower speed. Finally any recomendations for sites that have some reviews ect. (except toms hardware)

I'm hoping i'll be able to make this upgrade... been waiting for doom 3 for awhile, but i really want half-life 2 to come out!

AMD has the performance crown at all price levels. With the money saved by buying an AMD rig you can have that gig of PC3200 and be poised to play new games optimally.

Look into sites like these for reviews that aren't bought and paid for by the manufacturers:

www.firingsquad.com
www.anandtech.com
www.techzone.com
www.sharkyextreme.com
www.hardocp.com

Jul 17, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
What resolution do you play at?
Unless it is 1600x1200 at full eye candy, you should be fine with that setup.

heh, it's not the resolution that gets me, it's the 4x FSAA and 16x Antistopic Filtering that kills me
biggrin.gif
, yes... needless to say I'm sure Farcry with all those makes my computer quite angry...

I just want perfection... is that too much to ask?
wink.gif

Ah and for those that really don't feel like jumping on the upgrade wagon for doom, it may make you feel better that though half life 2 will be quite incredible itself (if they recoded the whole thing from that crap alpha leak
blink.gif
) then it's specs are aiming to let in more mid and low level systems then doom 3's far to high minimum requirements

Doom 3 is trying to push the envelope of computer gaming, I just hope they don't push it to far for the market to handle right now...

or you can just go down my road, next big purchase I think will have to be me creating my water cooling setup.... can we say... overclock?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
mine either.
frown.gif
but then, I hear Doom 3 has SMP support (to what extent, I have no clue) so my dual xeon 2.4Ghz @ 2.93Ghz should be great with that.
biggrin.gif
1GB of RAM too... though I would hope not all will be used since a game like that would be scary.
eek.gif

Time for you to upgrade to dual PCI Xpress video cards. Dual SLI with Dual processors. Everything in two's!!!
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Jul 17, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #28 of 45
Jul 17, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
am i the only one that feels completly upgrading a system, over one game is absolutely ridiculous?

I'll play it with what i have, it's not that bad.

yeah.. I guess... but i haven't upgraded in a while anyway. The earliest thing if upgraded is avideo card...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back