Doom 3 is Gold!!!!
Jul 16, 2004 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

jerry1130

100+ Head-Fier
Doom 3 is gold, the relase date is going to be August 3. I am going to run out and get it the day that it comes out, hope it is worth the wait
icon10.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 45
Too bad my video card displays artifacts on the screen when it's being worked (Far Cry demo, Raven Shield, etc.), so I think I will have to wait until a video card upgrade, which may not be happening anytime soon due to Head-Fi related wallet shrinkage
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 45
Haha, I was actually thinking about getting either a 6800GT or X800 XT PE (either of which would be a major upgrade to my somewhat defective AIW 9600 pro), but then various circumstances came up that kept that from happening, including but not limited to: underclocking my CPU to reduce fan noise (now overclocked again but my wallet's already much thinner), ordering the PPX3 (speaking of which, I should check up on it...it's been >2 weeks and still no sign of it), buying a 1212m, and getting ready to order a pair of HD650s...I blame the SoCal Meet!
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

...That plus I've been somewhat busy, and the cards are still kinda hard to find/high priced
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #6 of 45
I'm going to... eerr... download it.... if it's as good as I'll expect I'll buy it...
and the funny thing is I am one of those people that actually buys things if he likes them.. odd

But yea, Doom 3 is going to bring my 3200+, Radeon 9800 pro 256mb, 1gig OCz ram to it's knees :-\ and I don't think I can afford another upgrade because the new socket for the FX chips are too expensive...

ah well

Doom 3 is gold and HL 2 will be there soon, though I'll tell you... when the alpha got leaked to the internet... they had a whole lot of work, I sorta invited myself to demo it, but yes, tons and tons of work. I hope they get it together.

Also in gaming news for those who care, Fallout rights have been sold to Bethesda Software (makers of Elder Scrolls Series) so there is potential for a Fallout 3
icon10.gif

yea, half jock, half computer nerd, excuse my babble
rolleyes.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by NPoet
I'm going to... eerr... download it.... if it's as good as I'll expect I'll buy it...
and the funny thing is I am one of those people that actually buys things if he likes them.. odd

But yea, Doom 3 is going to bring my 3200+, Radeon 9800 pro 256mb, 1gig OCz ram to it's knees :-\ and I don't think I can afford another upgrade because the new socket for the FX chips are too expensive...

ah well

What resolution do you play at?
Unless it is 1600x1200 at full eye candy, you should be fine with that setup.
(Heck I only have a 8500 and I'm going to try it.)

People might be over exaggerating D3.
It's a single person shooter.
What, 60FPS isn't enough for (only) you?
rolleyes.gif

( I didn't mean to imply (you) Npoet.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 45
http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/...ctCode=RM01453

According to Gameplay it supports some quite old graphics chipsets. To be honest it doesn't matter how good it looks if the gameplay is crappy.

I think that older computers will more likely fall down due to memory problems (e.g. only having 256Mb) rather than graphic card problems. Order yourself a cheap 1Gb RAM now!!
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by petery83
Too bad my video card displays artifacts on the screen when it's being worked (Far Cry demo, Raven Shield, etc.), so I think I will have to wait until a video card upgrade, which may not be happening anytime soon due to Head-Fi related wallet shrinkage
wink.gif

sounds like you need better cooling, not a new card.

Jul 16, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
P4 2.4@3.0
1GB 400/3200
P4P800
2 x 36GB Raptor
Nvidia MX400 64MB
rolleyes.gif

I'm hoping the gf will buy me a 9800pro for my bday

After selling off your headphone gear for an engagement ring, she darn well better!

Jul 16, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 45
I've been on pre-order since January.

p4c 2.4ghz overclocked to 3.2 ghz with thermalright sp94
1 gig of corsair xms pc 3200
ati radeon 9800 pro
i hope i can play this game decently, i've been following it since i first played wolfenstein back around 1992 was it?

I don't buy the latest stuff anymore, i had this basic setup, since last summer when all the gear was new. I used to get one pc a year, but not really recently, maybe more like 1 every 2 years. I can't afford this stuff anymore : P

NPoet;

I really think you should buy it, it really seems you can afford it, and the money will probablly go towards jon carmack's next ferrari or something. This isn't an ordinary piece of software, they have been developing it to perfection for over 3 years running.

Jul 16, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 45
I think the bottleneck for me is the monitor (if i want to go past 1024x768). My pc:

P4 2.4Ghz
1.5GB of Kingston pc3200 memory
ati 9700 pro videocard

I think this bad boy can handle a little Doom 3
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back