Doodlebug - USB Isolator
Apr 16, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #151 of 305
A little project update:

We got the production boards back.
However, Tom moved and this has prevented any
progress for the time being. As we all know, life tends
to get in the way of our hobbies from time to time.
I'm sure Tom will be back with us as soon as practical.

Just a little while longer...

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #152 of 305
  A little project update:

We got the production boards back.
However, Tom moved and this has prevented any
progress for the time being. As we all know, life tends
to get in the way of our hobbies from time to time.
I'm sure Tom will be back with us as soon as practical.

Just a little while longer...

Yes - thanks for that, Avro!  And thank everyone else for their patience!  The DoodleBug is at the top of my project priority list and I will get on it as soon as I can!  Long-term, the new location is going to enhance my productivity by several-fold, but a new house is one of those life-changing events that comes with many un-predictable challenges.  For instance, it's been three separate days/trips by the cable guys to get everything connected at the new house - cable, network, phones.  One day the TV's work, but the network doesn't.  Next day, the network is OK, but the phones don't work.  Then my printers don't work because they setup an entirely different private network address system than the one I used before.  It's one thing after another, but it's getting better gradually.
blink.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #153 of 305

Yes - thanks for that, Avro!  And thank everyone else for their patience!  The DoodleBug is at the top of my project priority list and I will get on it as soon as I can!  Long-term, the new location is going to enhance my productivity by several-fold, but a new house is one of those life-changing events that comes with many un-predictable challenges.  For instance, it's been three separate days/trips by the cable guys to get everything connected at the new house - cable, network, phones.  One day the TV's work, but the network doesn't.  Next day, the network is OK, but the phones don't work.  Then my printers don't work because they setup an entirely different private network address system than the one I used before.  It's one thing after another, but it's getting better gradually.
blink.gif

Good luck on setting up the new place, and hope the equipment decides to behave soon! I've had my share of network troubleshooting 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #154 of 305

blink.gif

Good luck on setting up the new place, and hope the equipment decides to behave soon! I've had my share of network troubleshooting 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks!  Still working - maybe some progress on the DoodleBug this weekend, I hope.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #159 of 305
I'm assuming that adding an external power source will allow use with USB On the go for mobile devices. That's pretty exciting. I use my phone to listen at work, and I'd love to use my pup or grub with it.

May 1, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #160 of 305
I'm assuming that adding an external power source will allow use with USB On the go for mobile devices. That's pretty exciting. I use my phone to listen at work, and I'd love to use my pup or grub with it.

I think it should work fine.
You can also run the Doodlebug off a 7.2 volt RC car battery...

May 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #161 of 305
Any update on this, tomb?  I have been experiencing some intermittent audio drops with one of my MacBook Pros and the pupDAC.  I have been using the analog headphone out from the MacBook Pro the last few days instead, feeding into my headphone amps and have not had the same issue.  This sounds like the USB power issues the Doodlebug is supposed to solve.

May 3, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #162 of 305
  Any update on this, tomb?  I have been experiencing some intermittent audio drops with one of my MacBook Pros and the pupDAC.  I have been using the analog headphone out from the MacBook Pro the last few days instead, feeding into my headphone amps and have not had the same issue.  This sounds like the USB power issues the Doodlebug is supposed to solve.

I'm working on the CAD drawing for the case design right now.

EDIT: Should have some dimensions to post later today ...

May 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #164 of 305
I'm excited to try different external power units for this. Wonder if there will be audible differences between power units on something like an ODAC or Modi.

One of the testers, earlier in the thread, did report an improvement in sound quality with their ODAC.
I am also excited to hear back how it performs under all the different conditions it will be used in.

May 5, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #165 of 305
Can't wait to get my hands on one, this will be vary handy with my software defined radio RTL dongle and usb powered frequency converter. It picks up all kinds of noise from any computer its hooked to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back