Doodlebug - USB Isolator
Jun 27, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #182 of 305
Just an update because I know many of you have been patiently waiting for the DoodleBug:

1. We had an issue with the production PCB's.  It took us awhile to determine a fix and get that negotiated with Imagineering.  They've fixed them and are shipping them back to me, but I don't have them in hand yet - probably next week sometime.

2. Meanwhile, I received the custom case sample from Hammond this week and carried it over to my anodizer.  I picked it up this morning, anodized in RED.  However, I then delivered it to the laser-etcher who will have it until probably Thursday.

After that - or in-between - I'll build another using the production PCB and parts, see how it fits the case, then give Hammond the go-ahead to start production.

I'll post some pics of the production sample when I get it built.

I'm sorry that this is taking so long, but these things don't happen overnight.  Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that a lot of things continue to go on behind the scenes.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #183 of 305
Just an update because I know many of you have been patiently waiting for the DoodleBug:

1. We had an issue with the production PCB's.  It took us awhile to determine a fix and get that negotiated with Imagineering.  They've fixed them and are shipping them back to me, but I don't have them in hand yet - probably next week sometime.

2. Meanwhile, I received the custom case sample from Hammond this week and carried it over to my anodizer.  I picked it up this morning, anodized in RED.  However, I then delivered it to the laser-etcher who will have it until probably Thursday.

After that - or in-between - I'll build another using the production PCB and parts, see how it fits the case, then give Hammond the go-ahead to start production.

I'll post some pics of the production sample when I get it built.

I'm sorry that this is taking so long, but these things don't happen overnight.  Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that a lot of things continue to go on behind the scenes. :wink:
No worries! Looking forward to seeing your build soon. It takes time to get things right so just keep chugging! Thanks.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #184 of 305
Further update:

I again apologize for this, it seems we've got teething problems all along with the DoodleBug - but nothing related to Avro's circuit or performance.
wink.gif

The first results from the laser-etcher were not acceptable, so I took it back for another round after revising the graphics.  The graphics were not really causing the problem, but they may have been exacerbating it.  Anyway - not to bore you with the details - but the reports tonight are good and I will pick up the prototype case again from the laser-etcher tomorrow.  Assuming that everything is fine, I'll turn on Hammond to do the production run of the cases.

Meanwhile, I'll get the website built and then we should be good to go.  Thanks for your patience, everyone!

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #185 of 305
The laser-etching on the production cases will differ slightly, but this will give you a good idea of what it will look like:

Hammond will be given the go-ahead on the production cases Monday.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #193 of 305
  Any update?

How does this compare to the Schiit Wyrd?  Same functionality?

Cases are now finished and look fantastic!  Unfortunately, I'm in the process of upgrading Beezar to new software - to stop the US Post Office from breaking it all the time.  That's going to take me awhile, but I'm taking vacation the week of Labor Day.  The plan is to get the NEW Beezar up and running and to have the DoodleBug website built, too.  Hopefully, Beezar will have a lot more capability and more options, too.

Then we'll be off and running!

Schiit Wyrd?  Ours will be cheaper (and smaller), for sure - because you have to build it.  Complexity is probably less than the skills needed to build a GrubDAC, though, so should be within reach of anyone willing to try SMD.  I'd be curious to get more information about Schiit's design.  I note that they quote uV regulators, but it's carefully worded so as to not state that's the entire unit's performance.  I'd be interested to see Avro's opinion if they supply a bit more information.  Certainly, the trend is going to toward enhancing USB-powered devices everywhere.  The differences are quite stark with a sophisticated USB-powered device.

Anyway, our delays are the difference between a large concern and a couple of guys with an idea for DIY - they have the resources to overcome all the teething problems that Avro and I have had.

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #194 of 305
  Any update?

How does this compare to the Schiit Wyrd?  Same functionality?

I just had a look at the Wyrd.

From what I can tell from the description, it is just a power supply, not an isolator.
The wording, in fact, excludes it from being an isolator.
What it is, if you can guess by the wording, is a hub with a fancy
power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back